Interior Gas Heaters

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Yep. Agree that a portable electric is only useful if in a caravan park but, on reflection, that's what we headed for when we froze last time.

We have a small dimplex oil heater which is not too heavy and could be packed in.

I just wonder if it's too Spartan for southern climes....I'll try it out next winter...and may decide it's easier to avoid the cold rather than get too complicated.

I totally agree with either the diesel or onboard gas heaters for you southern folk! If I lived down there, I'd certainly go for one or the other. I hate being cold!

I'll follow this with interest.

We had one of the oil filled column heaters which worked a treat, but of course only when connected to 240v.

Recently installed the diesel heater, and its fantastic.

We upgraded to the IBIS aircon when we purchased our van, but its much too noisy when being used on heating, the compressor cutting in and out makes a big thud and continually wakes us up, so not impressed with the A/C as a heater.

Reactions: achjimmy

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Weve had vans with diesel and gas heaters parked around us, all chuffing away and hardly noticed any smell and the Dometic 3000 AC was doing our heating, once got van nice set it on low fan and it purred away nicely though it does shake the rig when it has a rest, bang, thump............just means it's time to move further north..........................diesel heater on wish list.

Last edited:
Reactions: dagree

mbr37746

Oct 20, 2013
Central West NSW
Flip a coin, spin a chocolate wheel, throw a dart....whatever the answer you'll be happy anyway the first time it's -5c outside and 20c inside! For me, I've installed diesel in our last 3 vans (plus another 3 in parents and in laws and a friends van) after weighing up our needs, for me it was: where I wanted it installed to retain useable space (not limited by regulations), keeping my gas exclusively for hot water and fridge (beer and wine) and I usually have a jerrycan of diesel in the ute. But they are my reasons and each to their own. Enjoy the warmth next winter!

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
So @Billrw136 - having owned both a Diesel and Gas heater, which is your preference?

We are still waiting to take delivery of our new van (20.64.1 OB) however I can guarantee we will need to add a heater if I want to use this more than 3 months of the year. Whilst in a park we have the 240V reverse cycle option, I am hoping to set it up for free camping.

Thanks in Advance
Both are good, but our experience at Halls gap where we used a bottle of gas in a two day period led me down the diesel path this time. Hindsight tells me our experience there was fairly extreme - very strong winds and cold. Plus as @achjimmy said an Expanda is not as well sealed as a full van. Plus I could install the diesel myself.
Bill

SkinnyBuddah

Jul 12, 2015
Ballarat
Me personally am leaning towards diesel for the simple fact that's what the car uses as well so could double as a fuel source.

In the mean time 12v electric blankets have worked a treat to keep things toasty warm at night as during the vertical hours you stand around the fire.

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013
We have a the gas heater(also had one on our last van )and are over the moon performance wise. It's amazing how often we use it. We have never used excessive amounts of gas and been below freezing outside for countless nights. Even summer we have just the fan on to help with circulation.

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
Have the Airtronic diesel heater in the Starcraft weighs bugger all, i removed from the old expanda in which it worked extremely well. Ran on the flinders trip for approx 8 to 10 hours a night, van nice and warm ready to get into after sitting around chatting, used approx 5ltrs of fuel for 5 nights. Cant say i have ever smelt diesel unless your got your nose on the exhaust. I figured you can always buy a litre of diesel but you can't by a kg of gas. Like everything, every one has different thoughts and opinions but its what works best for you.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
image.jpeg
Not to hijack the thread however those with diesel heaters do use a Jerry can as the tank or an actual tank?

I use an outboard motor fuel tank. That way I don't need to carry it around when not needed, and I can also take it to fill it up without needing no move the van, or manoeuvre it into the servo if not needed.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My plan was to use an Aldi boat fuel tank when I'm allowed to buy a diesel heater.....nice to have the concept confirmed.