Exterior Gas bottle holder

Teejay153

Jun 2, 2016
Brisbane
Hi. I apologise if this isn't in the correct spot. We have a 2011 jayco expanda and the gas bottles have just expired. I went out to buy new ones but none of them fit - they are all wider than the original. I can't find anywhere local that tests old bottle. Anyone have any ideas for me. I guess we could change the holders over but imagine that wouldn't be cheap either. The clasp on the holder is adjustable to a certain degree but still not enough.
Thanks

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Depends on what type of holder, a pic would help.......if they have the clamp set up you just give the uprights a slight massage and the other bottles should fit, if they are the nut and bolt jobs then replace the bolt.
Usually it's the other way around the Swap an Go bottles are slightly narrower and higher while the old ones are fatter and you usually have to pack them out a bit, try a swap an go they might fit.
If I have an expired bottle I just swap it, they don't check dates.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
While the 9kg/8.5kg gas bottles may vary by around 20mm in height and diameter they all have a nominal 9kg fill cap but when filled by weight it's usually 8.5kg........same happens with industrial bottles some are a tight fit some are loose, luck of the draw.

Wayne2410

Jun 5, 2011
Central Coast, NSW
Go to Bunnings or Masters and swap the bottles for filled ones (they have swapped out of date for me no questions asked) but before doing so also measure the diameter of a bottle and tell them what you want. I've never had an issue and always got the right size - when you get good enough you can pick the thinner bottle straight away.

Let us know how you go.

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Yes, Bunnings policy is to accept any date of bottle provided not dented, with excessive rust, and must have bottom ring and top collar. You don't need to sneak out of date bottles in - its policy to accept them.
They will also be happy to let you choose the exact bottle from the cage - can either then keep that bottle afterwards and refill it elsewhere, or swap again on the same way.
Can't comment on other retailers but presume they would be the same.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Or....if you can't get a swap n go....try Brisbane Camperland as they keep a stock of Manchester bottles which they add to each new van.

Swap n go would definately be cheaper!

Jun 3, 2016
Port Macquarie NSW 2444
Portion of recent post on the Facebook Group "BBQ Gas Bottles - Cheapest in Australia" ... 'but if you have OUT-OF-DATE bottles, Jason will test them and restamp them for a further ten years if they pass. Jason's phone 0413 830 803 and Debbie's 0408 602 262' Jason and Debbie are located at Gatton Qld.

Jun 3, 2016
Port Macquarie NSW 2444
Or....if you can't get a swap n go....try Brisbane Camperland as they keep a stock of Manchester bottles which they add to each new van.

Swap n go would definately be cheaper

Not necessarily the case. A new website, www.gasbottlerefills.com, lists over 1,000 locations around Australia with driving directions etc where cheap refills/swaps are located. Users can know in advance where the cheap locations are (some as low as $15.95 for 9kg refill) and where to avoid the expensive ones

Jun 3, 2016
Port Macquarie NSW 2444
Hi. I apologise if this isn't in the correct spot. We have a 2011 jayco expanda and the gas bottles have just expired. I went out to buy new ones but none of them fit - they are all wider than the original. I can't find anywhere local that tests old bottle. Anyone have any ideas for me. I guess we could change the holders over but imagine that wouldn't be cheap either. The clasp on the holder is adjustable to a certain degree but still not enough.
Thanks
Curious to know how, if your Jayco Expanda is a 2011 model, why the gas bottles would be out of date in 2016??? They should still have 5 years good life! As Pauline would say ... "please explain"!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I always use Bunnings, price wise is good, if it's a daggy bottle they let me get a nice one and they are usually Manchester bottles of no more than 12 mths old.
If you get a bottle refilled by a garage or somewhere you never know if they know what they are doing, I was taught the correct way and sometimes I have had to point out that the bottle isn't full......

icetechaus

Nov 21, 2012
There is a Gameco on the north side of Brisbane and it is about $28.00 to have the cylinder tested and stamped on a 7 day turn around.

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
There is a Gameco on the north side of Brisbane and it is about $28.00 to have the cylinder tested and stamped on a 7 day turn around.

and the bottle would still be empty, can't see the sense when a tested, painted and full bottle is $24 from Bunnings.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Information is most important, you are correct @icetechaus , to be informed of all options is most important to bring about the right decision.

Reactions: dagree

Seanm5253

Dec 21, 2014
Hillarys Perth
Thanks
Hi Teejay
I had the same problem with mine, bottles fitted in the holders but couldn't tighten the clamp up
I fixed mine by adding a small shackle ($3.00 each) on the clamp to extend it I can send a photo tomorrow if you need it

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Hi @Teejay153

Yes we had the same issue with our 2011 as well. It is a very simple fix though, all you need to do is modify the bolt to accommodate the larger bottle. As mentioned above you can fit a shackle or do as we did and use a coupling nut (I think it was 6mm but would need to check) to extend the length of the retaining bolt. The larger bottle will fit in ok once you modify the the clamp. Again could post some pics if needed.