16' Series Frostys intro...

Frosty

Jul 19, 2013
Redlands, S.E.Q.
Hello everyone....

My name is Mark (Frosty) & live in The Redlands here in SEQ. Been watching the forum for a while, well, since we seriously started looking at Expanda's late last year & I must say the advice & info freely given by so many generous members has been invaluable so I thought is was about time I said thanks & joined the forum!

We ended up with a clean but basic 2004 on-road 1649.1 just before Xmas & have had half a dozen enjoyable trips with it since then.

We started with the camping lark about 7 or 8 years ago after being keen boaties for many years & did the usual steady move up from tents to camper trailers to the Expanda & love the easier, stress free set up & pack up that the Expanda provides.

We don't get to venture too far from home coz of the usual work commitments so our usual stomping grounds are of course here around SEQ & in Northern NSW. I like it a bit more rural with a basic camp ground & a fire whereas my better half more prefers the luxury of an ensuite site & the beach so I suppose you could say we will really go anywhere!

As I said above, the Expanda is pretty basic, we don't even have AC in it but it does us fine. So far all I've really done to it is install a Gel battery, a couple of 12v power outlets & changed most of the bulbs over to LED. next job is to under-sling the axle as I have already bent the mounting brackets for the levelling hitch & bent the spare wheel guard on a cattle grid coming out of a camp ground recently. Got in trouble with the boss when i did that!

Anyway, enough of me beyond saying that we plan to keep an eye out for oportunites to catch up with other Expanda owners & forum members as time goes by...

Cheers,
Mark & family.

Frosty

Jul 19, 2013
Redlands, S.E.Q.
Thanks but I'm not that particular Frosty! Used to drive a ford though many many years ago but saw the light & swapped it for a chev... Then I met the mrs & it was gone within the year!

Reactions: DRW

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hey Frosty,
welcome to you and the Fam, great intro. great to have another Qlder join in the mix.
If you are anything like every other Queenslander at the moment, you are still smiling :)

HM

Frosty

Jul 19, 2013
Redlands, S.E.Q.
Hey Frosty,
welcome to you and the Fam, great intro. great to have another Qlder join in the mix.
If you are anything like every other Queenslander at the moment, you are still smiling :)

HM

thanks HM, yep, been one of those weeks hasn't it. Hope the Reds can make it an even better one tomorrow with a win across the ditch...

Frosty.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Welcome Frosty.:welcome: Glad you've found forum worthwhile. Remember we like pics.
Recommend that underslung axle mod you're considering.
Also see what you think of getting rid of the bed end guy ropes as a few of us have done (a fairly easy mod) which gets rid of a trip hazard (and saves you hammering in four extra pegs)

395918682.838455.png

Also see if you've got room to move that spare tyre carrier to the top of the drawbar.
395919970.211390.png

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
thanks HM, yep, been one of those weeks hasn't it. Hope the Reds can make it an even better one tomorrow with a win across the ditch...

Frosty.

of course the reds will get up... Nothing can go wrong this week. Reckon the Lions will win as well. :)
Probably lucky for us though Broncos aren't playing this weekend....at the moment they couldn't win a chook raffle

Frosty

Jul 19, 2013
Redlands, S.E.Q.
Welcome Frosty.:welcome: Glad you've found forum worthwhile. Remember we like pics.
Recommend that underslung axle mod you're considering.
Also see what you think of getting rid of the bed end guy ropes as a few of us have done (a fairly easy mod) which gets rid of a trip hazard (and saves you hammering in four extra pegs)

View attachment 15757
Also see if you've got room to move that spare tyre carrier to the top of the drawbar.
View attachment 15759

Thanks Expandafan,

Geeze that is such an easy one for the bed end flies & makes so much sense...

The canvas bed ends were the one thing that made me a bit nervous about going for the earlier model expandas after seeing a neighbour on a regular Xmas/New Year camp get absolutely soaked one night but I have sort of figured out that it seems to be all about setting the beds & flies up correctly in the first place... We didn't have the budget for a hard lid when we made the change from a camper trailer but we haven't had any problems so far, including a pretty wet weekend up here in Beachmere with sideways rain. The beds were fine but did have a few small issues with the pop top skirt. Seem to have fixed most of that problem with the old candlestick wax on all the stitches...

Frosty.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
G'day Frosty,welcome to forum. Lots of info here that's shared freely. Look forward to more things to alter your van. And yes, be sure to photograph what you do to your van and share with us. Cheers Pace.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome to another Queenslander, Frosty. There will be other meets in SEQ after the one last weekend. As you weren't a member you would not have had access to all the info about it but you can now read the write-ups here.

Enjoy the forum and keep us posted on mods and trips (plus photos).

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Thanks Expandafan,
Geeze that is such an easy one for the bed end flies & makes so much sense...
The canvas bed ends were the one thing that made me a bit nervous about going for the earlier model expandas after seeing a neighbour on a regular Xmas/New Year camp get absolutely soaked one night but I have sort of figured out that it seems to be all about setting the beds & flies up correctly in the first place... We didn't have the budget for a hard lid when we made the change from a camper trailer but we haven't had any problems so far, including a pretty wet weekend up here in Beachmere with sideways rain. The beds were fine but did have a few small issues with the pop top skirt. Seem to have fixed most of that problem with the old candlestick wax on all the stitches...

Frosty.
You're welcome@Frosty. To tell the truth I pinched the idea of Stone Stomper (check out Stone Stomper Mods thread for a step-by-step from the master).

395927696.799577.png
395927826.510076.png

I added a brace bar and stand-offs to taughten everything up for longer stays.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
G'day Frosty we had a 2004 16-49-1 for 8 years and had a ball in it. Like yours no aircon we didn't even have a battery but loads of good memories, I hope you have the same!