Exterior Front Window Cover Blown Open.

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
Travelling north from Bourke to Cunnamulla we were passed by several dual trailer road trains travelling south. We would get some wind turbulence but nothing dramatic. On a left hand bend we were approached by a large 3 trailer road train. This time we copped a lot of wind turbulence. The StarCraft did a wriggle and I heard a bang. At the same time my wife said slow down the front hatch has blown open.

We pulled over and found that the hatch had opened tearing its self off the gas struts. The mating metal ball joint brackets bolted to the hatch were bent. A couple of rivets at each end of hatch where it joins the hinge had torn out and the hatch had pulled out of the hinge at that location. The hinge was still attached to the body of the van. The retaining catches were still in the closed position so its not a case that I forgot to do them up. Also I subsequently found that some of the hinge retaining screws were a little loose.

I have straightened the ball joint brackets and reattached the gas struts. I have relocated the hatch flange into the hinge and locked the hatch down with the retaining clips. I have also duct taped the top of the hinge and taped the entire right hand side of the hatch to the van body. We have now travelled further north to Charleville and expect it to be ok until we get home to Melb in mid August. (Longreach and Lightning Ridge).

I don't know how I will go trying to claim warranty on this one? If I have to fix it my self has anyone had a similar experience?
Does anyone know what material the hinge screws go into? Obviously the fibre glass outer skin but what is behind it?
Any advise appreciated.

Regards,
Peter.

fishinglizard

Nov 4, 2012
West of Sydney East of Lithgow
I lost mine completely on the Hay plain, same thing truck went past heard a bang, gone. Went back to get it and it was smashed in 2 bits. I was going to claim mine on insurance. I rang jayco they reckon between 500 and 900 to replace depending on model. The clips that hold it on where bent and the locking things where still in the closed position. I recovered one gas strut intact and the clips on the van are still there just bent.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Guys got any photos? May be needs an extra clamp like a bonnet clamp to stop it lifting?

fishinglizard

Nov 4, 2012
West of Sydney East of Lithgow
image.jpg

I wonder if the truckie said WTF same time as we did. It was actually a truck and a car must have hit tbe second wind disturbance at a sweet spot.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Or some kind of ratchet strap across the window either horizontally or vertically? Should be able to withstand that though really!

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
We have had wind buffeting on our trips with the Penguin in2012 and now with the 14.44-5 and have found a noticeable difference when I see an oncoming triple or double road train is to move as close to the edge of the road as is safe giving an extra foot or so between the vehicles. Significant difference! Now even my extended mirrors stay straight!
Marv