17' Series Front bed wet when driving in the rain fixed?

Geoff

Mar 29, 2012
Ipswich, QLD
Hi all. After driving through rain on our last trip we found the front of the bed was wet. Mud from wet gravel roads had also mudied the canvas. Not a happy chappy!! As soon as we got home, I moved the front lid lcok brackets in by about 5mm. Everything else looked ok so decided the lid was not tight enough on the seal. Hope it works; will let you know next time it rains. We are renowned drought breakers.:rockon:
Geoff

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
Hi Geoff,

I thought we were the only drought breakers when camping :thumb:

Our 17.56-2 leaked water in the front whilst driving through heavy rain. I also adjusted the strikers to close the door better & it worked well. Last time we towed in rain and through mud I only had a small amount come in just behind the lock where the sealing face steps in for the striker. we also had issues with the top hinge not being sealed properly but Jayco fixed this under warranty on the first service :becky:

Shaun

Geoff

Mar 29, 2012
Ipswich, QLD
Hi Big Gee
Glad to hear the fix worked for you. How far did yoummove the striker plate? I still have movement in the lid when I press on it while closed but didn't want to totally collapse the seal.
We are planning a week away in two weeks but hope I don't have to test my fix.:p
I haven't noticed leaks in the hinge but water does pool on the roof due to hinge being a bit short for the curbe of the lid but lets water onto the tent roof.
Cheers
Geoff

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
Hi Big Gee
Glad to hear the fix worked for you. How far did yoummove the striker plate? I still have movement in the lid when I press on it while closed but didn't want to totally collapse the seal.
We are planning a week away in two weeks but hope I don't have to test my fix.:p
I haven't noticed leaks in the hinge but water does pool on the roof due to hinge being a bit short for the curbe of the lid but lets water onto the tent roof.
Cheers
Geoff

Hey Geoff,

I moved the striker as far back as I could, I had to then wind up the the catch on the back of the locks just far enough to take out the excessive movement in the door when closed. I was careful not too compress the seal too much & although the visibility is not so good the seal at the top had heaps more compression than the lower portion did! I also made the same adjustments to the back door and I have found this has almost stopped the ingress of dust into the back compartment. Thank god, the back door would fill with so much dust it took hours to clean out.

You mentioned you have water pooling on the roof of the tent section, we had the same issue even after the door had been resealed. I stretched the privacy screen with some hot water and with some careful placement I got it to sit just under the edge of the door and now the water drips off the door and runs down the privacy screen. I have seen quite a few people make up privacy screens out of tarps and things. I think these are a great idea but hard to come by when it's flogging down and your five hours from home!

Hope this helps

Shaun

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Some great ideas!
I guess another thing that might happen is just the general flex in the lid whilst travelling might let a bit of dust and water past the seal but making the adjustments would sure combat this, let us know how you go.

On our trip up the OOdnatta trk and out through the Painted desert last year we got dust in on the front canvas but not to bad. The rear lid got dust in, then the dust appeared to get past the bed hinge. I was looking at mine last week and thinking about getting a foam type seal with a sticky back and stick this to the van directly where the seals meets as an extra seal? A lot of our trips involve a dirt road or two.

What are your thoughts?

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
Hi CD,

I think that should work a treat, I havent towed our van through those types of conditions yet but I know sometimes dust ingress can be a never ending battle!

We are planning a trip in September to Menindee Via Ivanhoe (to visit family) and back through Broken Hill so I will have to hook in & make sure ours is all sealed up!

Should be fun!

Shaun

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I just remember i have some of that sticky back foam left over from when i ran so air con at my house. Its about 4-5mm thick from memory and may do the trick

Think i might give it a go this weekend.

Also i have a stone stomper and i am pretty sure it does a great job of keeping dust etc down and stopping it from hitting straight into the front bed. I'm sure this would have to help as i have had it for a while now and never really had any problems. Just a thought:biggrin1: