Electrical Fridge wiring from Anderson lead instead of 7 pin? Q re existing wiring

speedygp

Jan 29, 2014
Canberra
Gooday,
we have a 7/05 12.37-2 Expanda which I`m changing the wiring to enable me to power the fridge- Dometic 2350 while were travelling from tug via Anderson connections and VSR setup.
My Qs relate to the original 7 pin wiring.
  • on the current 7 pin setup it looks like the heavy black lead coming in from the 7 pin supplies power to both fridge, and elec brakes? I can`t check this by hooking up, as I`ve got other non moveable stuff in the way temporarily
  • My Q is, can I just cut the fridge out of this supply line, and connect up the Anderson connection feed in? It looks like the elec brakes will still get power from the same lead?
I know this is all a bit general, below is a pic of where the wiring all emerges from the end of the drawbar RHS below fridge area
IMG_3863.JPG
IMG_3852.JPG
IMG_3852.JPG
IMG_3863.JPG IMG_3852.JPG

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@speedygp I would be checking where the wires are joined in the van's 7 pin plug before cutting anything. The fridge and brakes should not be coming from the same pin!

From what I can make of the pics it looks like both cables are just coming through the drawbar together.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
You will need to confirm which cable connects to what, your electric brakes shouldn't be drawing any power from the van the cable should be a direct run from tug via the 7 pin, nothing should be piggy backing as that would activate the brakes, double check it is dangerous. I suppose I should mention it is illegal and renders the vehicle unroadworthy, yatta,yatta,yatta.
Best way if you want to run an anderson supply to fridge would be run a new cable set direct to 12v junction on fridge, no losses then, just disconnect at fridge as that supply lead may be charging battery as well though I would be surprised if it is connected at the 7 pin.
My 12v for fridge is dead, relay problems but since 12v doesn't do much, haven't worried about fixing it.

Reactions: dagree

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Gooday,
we have a 7/05 12.37-2 Expanda which I`m changing the wiring to enable me to power the fridge- Dometic 2350 while were travelling from tug via Anderson connections and VSR setup.
My Qs relate to the original 7 pin wiring.

on the current 7 pin setup it looks like the heavy black lead coming in from the 7 pin supplies power to both fridge, and elec brakes? I can`t check this by hooking up, as I`ve got other non moveable stuff in the way temporarily

The fridge and brake wiring will definitely not be connected together. If you look here you will find the standard wiring for a 7 pin plug. provided your van is wired correctly the brake wiring will be connected to pin 5 and the fridge/van battery wire will be connected to pin 2. Pin 2 is shown as reversing signal but it is also used for power to the van. if you pull the plug apart you will find the pins are numbered.

My Q is, can I just cut the fridge out of this supply line, and connect up the Anderson connection feed in? It looks like the elec brakes will still get power from the same lead?

Yes that is correct but make sure you have the correct wire before you proceed. Do not tamper with the electric brake wiring.

Also be aware that the 2350 fridge requires the supply to be protected with a 20A fuse or circuit breaker

speedygp

Jan 29, 2014
Canberra
Thanks All,
great advice, I made it hard for you seeing I didn`t note down which wire ran to which number pin on the 7 pin plug. The 2 pin connector with 1 blue and 1 white is definitely elec brakes, was not sure if the other heavy gauge black ran back to Setec, will have to trace.
And yes, was thinking of just running a new pair from Anderson on drawbar direct to fridge with 20A circuit breaker.
Cheers

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Blue is usually electric brakes but remember that on most Jayco's white and black are Pos and Neg NOT Red and Black like in the normal world, off hand can't recall which is which at the moment.................It can be most annoying when trying to track things down, always have a multi meter handy.

speedygp

Jan 29, 2014
Canberra
Gooday again all,
had some time over the weekend to finish this job off. Tested the big black and whites coming in from drawbar and confirmed large black was pos and large WHITE was neg earth. I then ran my 6 B+S through the drawbar and disconnected the wires to fridge - then connected these to the lead through drawbar to Anderson plugs.
Tested all OK woohoo, minimal voltage drop with fridge on 12v, and the VSR connects and disconnects with ignition on/off. Also now have the option of drawing from the tug 2nd Optimax battery with ignition off if desired by using the rocker switch incorporated.
Thanks everyone for the info in previous threads re VSR, and the advice offered along the way, I`ve learnt heaps!
Have also tidied up the deaded Jayco "rats nest" and made up a mud shield/flashing to protect it a bit.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
and confirmed large black was pos and large black was neg earth. .

Oh Jayco are cunning, they must be reading this site and discovered we were onto their white and black cables and have now confused the issue even further.........................

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
And it was one of my better post's I thought......:D:D:D:D.......................the funny thing is we put these huge cables to the fridge which then connect to some light weight cable at the fridge and they get as hot as hell when on 12v.