Electrical Fridge fan

Les321

Aug 5, 2017
Tarneit
image.png image.png
Hi there I am wondering if anyone has fitted one of these to there Expanda .
Karl kool fridge fan
Looking for feedback it looks easy to install
It's on eBay

Last edited:

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
View attachment 56528 View attachment 56529
Hi there I am wondering if anyone has fitted one of these to there Expanda .
Karl kool fridge fan
Looking for feedback it looks easy to install
It's on eBay

Hello @Les321 and welcome to the forum. Go back to threads around April and see some suggestions from myself, @mikerezny and @Drover . There are lots of easy ways to cool the back of your fridge in your Expanda and much cheaper than buying a kit on Ebay. You can get a 120mm computer fan on Ebay for around $4.00, and some light wire to connect to battery and the fan can be secured to vent with zip ties. If you are still keen, you can fit a thermostat for a few dollars and make it automatic operation. It is all there for you on this forum. Let me know if you need help and I will see if I can find the thread under "how to fit a fan to van fridge". Good luck.

Les321

Aug 5, 2017
Tarneit
Thanks, boots in action :
for the ideas. Did this in my swan without the thermostat , used a old 240 v phone charger as a power source and did it manually and worked really well I'm not good at 12 volt electrical not wanting to risk a any damage to the swan wiring and jayco washing there hands of it .
Thanks curry house for input
I Tried the solar one in the swan and even added an extra little solar panel to Boost the solar input and extra wiring it only worked in Direct sun light. After this mod it worked fine as a fan inside the fridge to push the cold air around. As well as with the above . Between the two the fridge in the swan worked really well no frozen veggies.
From the above experience .
I went for the one above in the first post . As it needed a 12 volt source and not confident in doing the wiring to the new type of 12 volt system in the brand new expander and jayco washing their hands of warranty if anything went wrong , so went I went to jaycar again and got a 1x 12 v transformer 3.5 amp and plug into 240 v for now .the install was easy once I push the wire through the false floor through with a yellow tongue to the 240 v plug in front the fridge added a power board to plug the 12v transformer in .
The kit came with 2 pre set thermostats one conected to 2 X 120mm fans and a probe to zip tie to a pipe for the out side vent as per the articles and works well turns on and off to temperature when the pipe gets to 45'c it comes on turns off at 32'c can adjust the settings .
And the other with a 90mm fan and a probe for the inside of the fridge to push the cold air around it also tells you the temperature inside of the fridge (which the wife likes )
Which is great . Had it running for one week to test it , started with the fridge control on full with in 3 hours got to -12 had to turn it down .then turned it down to 4 the temperature got to - 4 , now the fridge control is on 2 the internal thermostat show 0 'c I have the set the internal thermostat for the fan to come on at 5'c and turns off at 0'c when the fan is working the led lights on the fan turn blue so you can see what in the fridge which is great a night .Only testing looks to be ok .I can also run the thermostat panel out side the fridge and put it above the fridge inside the draw so no one can see it , You can see the temperature lnsde the fridge open the draw door and see the temperature without opening the fridge.
I don't know anyone for the above company
Fast service got it three days , the only criticism I have is for the price you would have thought the fuses would for the 12v battery wiring come with as part the kit not pay extra for it and the instructions would be better .may be a YouTube video to help with the 12 v battery install for novices both old style and new style battery set up.
All in all great Give it a try

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
How do the fans go in the vents with water when washing the van i would think they carnt get wet

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Thanks, boots in action :
for the ideas. Did this in my swan without the thermostat , used a old 240 v phone charger as a power source and did it manually and worked really well I'm not good at 12 volt electrical not wanting to risk a any damage to the swan wiring and jayco washing there hands of it .
Thanks curry house for input
I Tried the solar one in the swan and even added an extra little solar panel to Boost the solar input and extra wiring it only worked in Direct sun light. After this mod it worked fine as a fan inside the fridge to push the cold air around. As well as with the above . Between the two the fridge in the swan worked really well no frozen veggies.
From the above experience .
I went for the one above in the first post . As it needed a 12 volt source and not confident in doing the wiring to the new type of 12 volt system in the brand new expander and jayco washing their hands of warranty if anything went wrong , so went I went to jaycar again and got a 1x 12 v transformer 3.5 amp and plug into 240 v for now .the install was easy once I push the wire through the false floor through with a yellow tongue to the 240 v plug in front the fridge added a power board to plug the 12v transformer in .
The kit came with 2 pre set thermostats one conected to 2 X 120mm fans and a probe to zip tie to a pipe for the out side vent as per the articles and works well turns on and off to temperature when the pipe gets to 45'c it comes on turns off at 32'c can adjust the settings .
And the other with a 90mm fan and a probe for the inside of the fridge to push the cold air around it also tells you the temperature inside of the fridge (which the wife likes )
Which is great . Had it running for one week to test it , started with the fridge control on full with in 3 hours got to -12 had to turn it down .then turned it down to 4 the temperature got to - 4 , now the fridge control is on 2 the internal thermostat show 0 'c I have the set the internal thermostat for the fan to come on at 5'c and turns off at 0'c when the fan is working the led lights on the fan turn blue so you can see what in the fridge which is great a night .Only testing looks to be ok .I can also run the thermostat panel out side the fridge and put it above the fridge inside the draw so no one can see it , You can see the temperature lnsde the fridge open the draw door and see the temperature without opening the fridge.
I don't know anyone for the above company
Fast service got it three days , the only criticism I have is for the price you would have thought the fuses would for the 12v battery wiring come with as part the kit not pay extra for it and the instructions would be better .may be a YouTube video to help with the 12 v battery install for novices both old style and new style battery set up.
All in all great Give it a try
Hi @Les321 , glad that you at least had a look at the options and that they may have been helpful to you. You seem to have a fairly good setup now and I like the idea of variable thermostats to control temperatures. Saves a lot of messing around changing the different types to get the temp on/off that suits. You have to keep the " other half" on side with no frozen lettuce, tomatoes vegies etc., because you can then justify any expenses incurred. Sounds like you are now "with it"!!

I can understand your reluctance to do anything while van is new, but when you get a little more experienced with connecting 12 volt systems after warranty ends, you can give it a go, so that when off grid, you can still enjoy the benefits. Lots of info on this forum and if in doubt, just ask. Good luck in your new van and safe travelling.