Fraser or bust

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Well I hope we don't bust anything,
But this trip has been a long time coming, for years we been hanging to get to the "Fraser Coast"
Well now this trip has come about, with an invitation earlier in the year to a family event it was decided in a split second that there was no better time to make this trip happen and 2017 is finally our time to visit Fraser Island.
It's been away to long since I've seen my brother and family
It's now only 5 sleeps till departure on our 3 week round trip traveling north via the coast and home inland on a route yet to be decided.
The Beast wont be taken to the Island as we dont need it while there, and I don't need a 2.6 ton anchor slowing progress on the sand.
Anyway stay tuned for roving updates whenever I can do them.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Buy any NP permits online and save a heap of $$$$$$..........................Don't go anywhere near the island for the last weekend in October it's a long weekend here in QLD and the area is full of idiots.......(more than usual)..................we have sunshine here so no need for jeans, shoes or beanies.

(PS) Damn , Old Timers kicked in....LWE is 30 Sept to 2 Oct.................

Last edited:

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Buy any NP permits online and save a heap of $$$$$$..........................Don't go anywhere near the island for the last weekend in October it's a long weekend here in QLD and the area is full of idiots.......(more than usual)..................we have sunshine here so no need for jeans, shoes or beanies.

Just be careful though, will be dark at six. Can't have daylight savings as the extra hour of sun will fade the curtains!

Reactions: The escapist

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Lucky we'll be there early October then, though it is NSW school holidays then so wonder how many other southerners will be up there,
Arranging permits once I get to my brothers place, apparently we only need vehicle access permits as we aren't camping on the island.
Trap is we'll come back into daylight saving, so that will throw me out of whack for a bit.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
OOppsss, I meant the last weekend in Sept, start of October, thats 30 Sep to 2 Oct is the LWE........ old timers kicking in again......

Yep no camping just need the beach permit buy that online and the barge ticket you can buy as you drive into Rainbow as they do them online anymore.......$80 return on Sundays........give us a yell I'll stand by with my snatch strap.....lol.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just be careful though, will be dark at six. Can't have daylight savings as the extra hour of sun will fade the curtains!

Aaww, c'mon the sun still bright and shiny at 2100 is just a big pain up here, quite okay down south and the BS about not being able to contact is a crock, what about WA and SA we all manage, southern world revoles around us again..........sorry off topic.....

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Aaww, c'mon the sun still bright and shiny at 2100 is just a big pain up here, quite okay down south and the BS about not being able to contact is a crock, what about WA and SA we all manage, southern world revoles around us again..........sorry off topic.....

Oh I also forgot the part about the cows getting confused abput being when to be milked!

Reactions: Drover

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Ok a bit of a Hijack @Bushman

And a question...:)
Camping permits, are they an only online purchase and/or available at Rainbow Beach?

And you have to nominate your campsite when doing this so is it as easy as it sounds...what happens if you dont make it to your prebooked site due to tides or having to much fun etc :) and need a different place to camp..

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Ok a bit of a Hijack @Bushman

And a question...:)
Camping permits, are they an only online purchase and/or available at Rainbow Beach?

And you have to nominate your campsite when doing this so is it as easy as it sounds...what happens if you dont make it to your prebooked site due to tides or having to much fun etc :) and need a different place to camp..

I'm pretty sure you can obtain all permits from the Manta Ray barge office at Rainbow Beach, which I believe is also the cheapest for barge tickets

Reactions: cruza driver

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Including booking campsites @Bushman ?
Hi @cruza driver,
in busy periods, I don't think I would be leaving it until I got to Rainbow Beach or Hervey Bay to find out if there were any campsites available for booking.

Hmm, I remember the great days of competition between competing barge owners and the price dropped to $0. I can't remember ever booking a campsite, but I seem to recall having to have a National Park permit.

Earlier still, 1960's when I was at school and my step father worked in a logging camp, we used to catch the fortnightly forestry boat over from Maryborough and back for free. Ahh, the good old days. Run a vehicle up the beach dragging some rotten meat in a bag. Stop, look for the pippie mounds on the car tracks, dig up the pippies, go looking for the sand worms where the meat was dragged, and play on the beach while the adults waded into the sea with huge surf rods to catch a feed or three. No permits or even registered vehicles in those days. Come to think of it hardly any tourists. We lived on the side of Lake Jennings and it was unusual for anyone to drive through except for the occasional forestry 4WD.

Goannas in the trees around our bark huts. Carpet snakes curled up under the water tank. Kerosene fridges and tilly lamps. All cooking done on a wood stove. We ate a lot of corned beef if I remember correctly. Still one of my favorites from those days, fresh bread (flown in once a week), corned beef, sliced onion, and tomato sauce.

Hi @Bushman,
I hope you have good weather and a great and safe trip. If you get inland and get to Lake Jennings, you may still see some evidence of our camp.

cheers
Mike

Papa Whiskey

Sep 3, 2017
Maryborough, QLD
:) Last time I went to Fraser, I stayed at Central Station and booked site on- line. Booked ferry at Rainbow Beach. The site I thought I had booked was occupied when I got there! Didn’t really matter as the booking system ensures number of sites = number of campers. Actually ended up with a great spot. Towed True Blue camper trailer with Triton tug.... handled everything nicely. If you get delayed having too much fun then there are plenty of places along the beach, first in best dressed, but beware of very soft sand in places.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you book from the NP web site for beach and camping permits it a few dollars cheaper than the park office in Rainbow Beach which is open Mon - Fri closed all other times, you can buy beach and camping permits from the Manta Ray office in Rainbow or other shops in town but it will cost you an extra $4 per ticket. Barge tickets are best from the Manta Ray office in Rainbow which is the first place on the left as you get to town, the NP office is on the right 100 yds further down the road, holiday periods I would book camp sites online early as sometimes it can be booked out, at the moment their are fires everywhere , mainland and island, so leave your matches at home we don't need any more smoke.....
Barge for just vehicle and pax is $129 return, with a trailer its $190 to $220 depending on trailer size. Can buy barge ticket at the barge.

So folks, enjoy your time in my backyard but take your rubbish with you......................

PS: If you catch the barge from Hervey Bay the prices are about triple the $$$$

Papa Whiskey

Sep 3, 2017
Maryborough, QLD
It was about 5 years ago, but yes it was not necessarily the site I had first thought of. I seem to remember that there are two locations at Central Station.... the first one coming in from the East was the better one; all large sites, some picnic tables, etc. my site was abou 50 metres from toilet/ shower block and parallel to entrance road. There was a mixture of shade and sun on nearly all sites; I used a portable solar panel for power which kept me going for the week.

You can get a map of Fraser at Rainbow Beach if you don’t already have one.... I used HEMA map. There are numerous places alon the beach where you can camp among the dunes ( also some places where prohibited)... all marked on map.

Apart from the increased numbers, I am betting that not much has changed in 20 years! It is, and always will be, a beautiful place.

Papa Whiskey

Sep 3, 2017
Maryborough, QLD
Just to add a bit, HEMA publish a book “ Fraser Island Atlas and Guide”. I have edition 3 and it is full of really useful information .... great walks, suggested drives, wildlife, etc, etc. cost was about $25, but worth it. Bought it from local newsagent.

Reactions: cruza driver