Foxtel GO or Mobile Foxtel Airplay & AppleTV

LUK77Y

Dec 22, 2012
Central Coast - NSW
Guys, you don't need a router. You simply hot spot your 3G iPad or iPhone and the devices will be accessible for each other.Simply connect to the SID provided once hot spot is enabled.

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
Ok, done that but is only streaming the sound and no picture. Should the Apple TV main menu disappear automatically or do I need to go into something to get the picture?

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
Well after 2 hours mucking around, this is what I have concluded.

I successfully connected the iPhone to the apple TV via a router and also the hotspot method. Both of which played kids cartoons that are on my iPhone to my TV screen perfectly, picture and sound.

However, when I load the Foxtel GO app, its a different story.

Whether I use the router method or the hotspot method, all I get is sound through the TV and no picture. When you choose the output device on the iPhone there is a little picture of a speaker next to the Apple TV option on the iPhone.

But when you play the kids cartoons, the symbol is a square box with a triangle. The iphone is restricting the image in the Foxtel app and only allowing sound to transmit :frown-new:

With this in mind, I think you will find that the Foxtel app has out smarted us and knows that we are trying to display it on the big screen and it simply just does not allow it due to licensing (so I have since been told).

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Just tried and cant even connect with the HDMI cable adaptor either all you get is sound and a big Foxtel logo on the TV . Thanks for that Link to Brad there is a mention there of using an Apple Airport which I just happen to have one that I'm not using ATM might try and utilise that when I get a spare moment or 6

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
have you guys managed to airplay the foxtel go app? I looked at the foxtel go faq's and it does say sound only, no pictures can be air played.

Can you "mirror" whats on the ipad onto the tv via apple tv? Mirroring needs to be enabled as per the link below. Maybe this will allow the foxtel go app to be viewed on tv???? Would like to hear how someone goes with this.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5209

Cheers
Mike

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Just tried it Mike7 Nope they are smarter than us!

image.jpg

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
From my understanding, its the app on the device which is doing the blocking, not the apple tv. I can plug my ipad directly into the tv via component video cables without the apple tv and get the same result as the photo posted by capt. Gadget

I think we have been defeated on this one:(

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
Man they really have it locked up don't they, there has to be a way around this, the challenge is on.

Cheers
Mike