Foxtel GO or Mobile Foxtel Airplay & AppleTV

LUK77Y

Dec 22, 2012
Central Coast - NSW
I've learned heaps from these forums in the past few weeks, so hopefully the following might provide some value for anyone who is even a little bit techy & wants FOXTEL!

So, if you have Foxtel. You should be able to subscribe to either Foxtel GO or Mobile Telstra. This is an app that will allow you to watch Foxtel where ever you might be, with the one caveat -

a) Have a strong wi-fi signal or more likely
b) Mobile coverage with Telstra 3G or 4LTE (bonus)

THe app can run from a iphone or ipad.

If you pickup an Apple TV ($100), you can than wireless air play your device picture to your LED/LCD TV and magic, you have Foxtel all for a pinch and it works wonderfully well. Airplay wil need Mobile Foxtel, as Foxtel GO signal is scrambled!

So,
1. Foxtel
2. iPhone or iPad
3. Download Mobile Telstra or Foxtel Go
4. Stream (airplay) picture to Apple TV, which is connected via HDMI to TV

**If your with Optus etc. Data charges will be incurred. Mobile Foxtel is included in Telstra plan

Cheers!

Reactions: Tayla and expanda

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
I've learned heaps from these forums in the past few weeks, so hopefully the following might provide some value for anyone who is even a little bit techy & wants FOXTEL!

So, if you have Foxtel. You should be able to subscribe to either Foxtel GO or Mobile Telstra. This is an app that will allow you to watch Foxtel where ever you might be, with the one caveat -

a) Have a strong wi-fi signal or more likely
b) Mobile coverage with Telstra 3G or 4LTE (bonus)

THe app can run from a iphone or ipad.

If you pickup an Apple TV ($100), you can than wireless air play your device picture to your LED/LCD TV and magic, you have Foxtel all for a pinch and it works wonderfully well. Airplay wil need Mobile Foxtel, as Foxtel GO signal is scrambled!

So,
1. Foxtel
2. iPhone or iPad
3. Download Mobile Telstra or Foxtel Go
4. Stream (airplay) picture to Apple TV, which is connected via HDMI to TV

**If your with Optus etc. Data charges will be incurred. Mobile Foxtel is included in Telstra plan

Cheers!

Nice tip!!

How is the picture quality over air play?

Does the appletv box need to be flashed to play mobile foxtel?

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Sounds interesting, Apple TV is new to me, maybe I've been living under a rock! So you don't need to take your fox box with you then?

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Foxtel go its not unmetered yet. There is foxtel mobile through bigpond (paid separately) that is unmetered. Apparently they're working on foxtel go being unmethough it no one seems to know when

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
This on the Telstra site
http://www.telstra.com.au/foxtel/docs/mobile-foxtel-from-telstra-terms-and-conditions-10-10.pdf

and this from Foxtel

How will Foxtel Go affect my data charges?
Streaming Foxtel Go video will be offset against your WiFi or 3G/4G data plan dependant on what you are using at that time.
The data used will depend on the internet speed of your network carrier at that time. As a guide, at the highest quality it’s a maximum of 910 MB per hour via WiFi and 300 MB per hour via 3G/4G. If you’re worried about your data use you can always flick your video quality to Low via the settings icon in the app.
My iPad telstra prepaid costs me $180 for 12gb which lasts 12 months which equates to $15 per gb so on 3G at a maximum of 300mb per hr thats a tad under $5 per hour.......I think!

LUK77Y

Dec 22, 2012
Central Coast - NSW
Telstra Mobile Foxtel is included in your data inclusion. A small caveat not all available channels are available via Mobile Foxtel.
However, you get the important kids ones for kids!

Whereby GO provides a much broader range, including "Catch Up" & Movie access it will have an affect on your data usage. As Captain Gadget indicated, drop the bandwidth with SD instead of HD.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Thats good that airplay works. I was sure I read somewhere that it did not work with foxtel go. Otherwise why have a second foxtel box. Anyone hook their foxtel box up to a satelite in their van? On our last trip, I took our Telstra T box away which had recorded shows on it. Kids loved it, and we all sat and watched a movie together, so that worked a treat.

Geoff

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I know that affiliated sites with bigpond will offset usage. as an example, I streamed a live collingwood match to the iPad once Or twice. It cost me $5 for watching the match and I lost nothing for the stream due to the affiliation with bigpond.

I am not sure if the same allowances apply however for Apple TV.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
I know that affiliated sites with bigpond will offset usage. as an example, I streamed a live collingwood match to the iPad once Or twice. It cost me $5 for watching the match and I lost nothing for the stream due to the affiliation with bigpond.

I am not sure if the same allowances apply however for Apple TV.

yeah but you will never get that vision of Collingwood out of your head!!!
LOL!

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
yeah but you will never get that vision of Collingwood out of your head!!!
LOL!

Im confused... Would there be a valid reason why you would want to get the vision of Collingwood out of your head? :)
YARRRRR. Go Pies. :behindsofa: I can see the replies to this post already.....

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Eddie the Bogan.png

Reactions: bigman0510

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
Just trying to configure mine now, but how do you connect to the apple tv with out a wireless network, ie a router. From what I can see, You can't connect to a apple tv without going through a router? Please tell me I am wrong

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
I ended up putting a router in my old van, that way I can run the media server too and stream to any device connected to the network. Heaps of cheap 12v supplied routers. I'm not sure if you can connect the Ipad to the Apple TV ad hoc, so I don't think you aren't doing anything wrong.
Happy to be corrected....