Interior Floor flex.

Tubs

Jun 11, 2015
Longreach
Gday,
I have an 2011 17.56-2 with some floor flex when you walk on it. I can see where the floor joists cross the floor and it flexes either side of the joist. Is this normal as I can't see any rot or any damage to the ply underneath.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
I had the same thing with my van when I picked it up. I got it braced from underneath by our "fix it guys" and its solid as a rock now.

Reactions: Tubs

PhilW

Jul 12, 2015
Sydney. Northern Beaches.
I reckon all Jayco vans would suffer the same problem.:gossip:
It looks as though the ply on the floor is at best 12mm thick and I doubt it would be of a structural grade. The steel cross members are spaced out at 500c/c or more. :nono:
If it was the floor of a house the joists would be at 450c/c max with a minimum 19mm thick structural sheet flooring in place. :amen:
The only way to fix the problem would be to increase the thickness of the ply or close up the cross member spacings.
Having said all of the above......ply is designed to flex and it is not really taking much in the way of load.
It may be flexing under foot however I can't see it failing unless it rots. :)
I have painted the underside of my ply floor with a few coats of Floods Penetrol. Can't really see the black paint that Jayco use providing much in the way of protection from the elements.

Tubs

Jun 11, 2015
Longreach
Thanks for your reply everyone.
By the sounds of it, it's a common thing with Jaycos. At least my mind is at ease now.

Tubs

Jun 11, 2015
Longreach
yep our was like this as well......this comes standard with Jayco's, you don't have to tick this on the options list..... :)

Welcome to the Forum @Tubs. Bit wet up your way I hear, good news a bit of rain around out west
yep our was like this as well......this comes standard with Jayco's, you don't have to tick this on the options list..... :)

Welcome to the Forum @Tubs. Bit wet up your way I hear, good news a bit of rain around out west
So I here but we have taken the van to Airlie Beach for 2 weeks and have only see the rain here. I have been told that we have and about 35mm since we left. Will be good to see what it's like when when we get home.

Reactions: Holden_man

daznmel

Oct 21, 2013
Hi Tubs,
My 2013 17.56.1 had floor flex and you could also see the floor joins.
My van was fixed by Jayco as it was known problem. Jayco basically fitted 2 sets of cross members in between the existing cross members front to rear. The also use a few extra tech screw through the floor and fitted new floor covering.
The only place she flexes now is above the water tank, just because they could not fit the cross members here.
I will note, Jayco only fixed it when I complained about it.

Cheers

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Not yet noticed the floor flexing but right at the door from the front of the Basestation into the rear section - the floor squeaked every time you stepped on it.
Mentioned this to the dealer when in for its first service and they fitted a metal bracket between the adjacent chassis cross members - away next week and will see how it gets on, but so far whilst in the shed, the squeak has gone.