Flinders Ranges Trip Planning - Sep 2012

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Sale, Victoria, Australia
G'day Guys,

I'm looking at taking the Expanda across to the Flinders Ranges for a couple of weeks at the end of September. Has anyone got any personnel recommendations of camping locations either free camping or parks that are suitable in size and roads for the Expanda.

Getting excited about getting the Expanda out of the shed for another trip.. I was intially planning on doing the Strezleckie track as part of it, but only have a couple of weeks, hence will break the trip up, and possibly do Camerons Corner next time.

I've been through the Moon's guide to the Flinders Ranges, but doesn't talk a lot about sites suitable for Caravans etc. The last time I was in the Flinders Ranges was when I was a kid!!

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Cheers,

Glenn

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
We have been to the Flinders twice and each time was with a OB Hawk as we didn't have our Expanda at the time. Each trip was 2 weeks in duration with the 1st trip in the Southern Flinders and home through Broken Hill. The 2nd time was upto Arkaroola and back down to the south again to see things we didn't do on the previous trip. we spent 3 days four nights at Akaroola and for us personally we could have added an extra a day or so, I love that country.

We stayed at Wilpena Pound both times and it was roomy and the facilities clean. There is a pub there too which was a top feed.

You shouldn't have any trouble towing the Expanda around the Flinders but just keep an eye on road conitions and clousures. The roads when we were there were in pretty good condition but like any outback road care and pretrip preparation needs to be undertaken.

If you have anymore questions just ask.

PS we also stayed at a Sheep station up near Blinman on the road out to Parachilna but the name escapes me at the moment.

Here is a few teaser shots
Near Arkaroola
398.jpg
Camp at Arkaroola
219.jpg
Razorback
513.jpg

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Wow where do you start these are my personal picks - merna mora station - bendelby ranges - wilpena pound -rawnsley park - brachina gorge
-thats a few which you can get to and through with your expanda just remember when your on the dirt to lower your tyre pressures and drive to the conditions and youll have a BALL

cheers Russell

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Hi shadow75. Sound like a great idea. On my wish list.
The latest issue of Caravan & Motorhome on Tour magazine (#176) comes with a DVD "Discover the Flinders" – I'm sure it will give you a few clues, plus a 12 page article.
Gives details of Quorn Caravan park, Rawnsley Park Station, Wilpena Pound Campground, Willow Springs Station, and Farina Station plus a Free camp spot 22km north west of Quorn via Arden Vale Road.
Couldn't be better timed for you.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Really you could spend a few weeks from Wilpena upto Arkaroola its another great part of the country

Shadow, make sure if you get the chance do a trip report when you get back :thumb: