First mod on our 16-49-4. Gas Bayonets.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Well, as we are going away next week I thought I'd better put the bayonets in for the gas bbq and happy hour heater. I replaced half of the original 3/8" copper line and run a new line from the regulator to the new bayonets front and rear in 1/2" copper. Better gas flow if I need it and 1/2" stuff is cheaper anyway. I kept the original 3/8" line to the fridge and hot plates. No wonder people winge that their bbq's dont work properly. It is very restricted on the outlet of the regulator and I reckon their was 1m of unnessessary pipe. I think they have standard lengths of pipe and just coil up the excess to make it fit. Anyway all good, and for those of you who say you should get a licensed person (I am) and you need a certificate (I did).

Next job might be to replace the water plumbing. I dont like that toy plastic pipe they use.

Cheers Geoff

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hey Geoff

Just wondering as you are gas licensed. Do you know why Jayco would fit the external gas fittings with House fittings and not BBQ fittings. Excuse my ignorance if they are not called BBQ fittings but thats how I know them. Anyway, so I will have to purchase an adapter or something.

Good work on your change over of fittings BTW. :)

Ants

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Hi Ants, Yes I am gas licensed. Bayonets are used because they can allow the appliance connected/disconnected without the use of tools. Also because it is at a low regulated pressure. What do you mean by bbq fittings? Do you mean the same connection that goes into a 9kg bottle?

Glenn

Sep 6, 2012
Bittern, VIC
Hi Geoff,
Just wondering if the regulator would need to be adjusted to run a weber off a bayonet fitting at the same time the fridge was running on gas ?
I imagine that the reg would be set for Fridge, Hotplates to run at the max anyway so im sure we wouldn't be running everything at the same time anyway.
We still haven't got our panda as yet, "only a couple of weeks away" & hanging out !

Cheers Glenn

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Mainly because bayonets will only take a low pressure (regulated), but safe enough that it can be connected while under pressure. Bayonet supply is regulated at the bottle on the draw bar, this is also the pressure the appliance runs at. The copper gas line in the van is only designed for 2.75 kpa, which as pressure goes is quite low.

The connection you are talking about has the regulator on it, they are designed to go straight to the bottle where the pressure is much higher.

The bayonet system in caravans is just a carryover of what has been used in houses for years, although in states like Victoria, it is being phased out as you are no longer allowed to install a new bayonet inside in a house. Still Ok outides for bbq's but a no no for heaters.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Hi Geoff,
Just wondering if the regulator would need to be adjusted to run a weber off a bayonet fitting at the same time the fridge was running on gas ?
I imagine that the reg would be set for Fridge, Hotplates to run at the max anyway so im sure we wouldn't be running everything at the same time anyway.
We still haven't got our panda as yet, "only a couple of weeks away" & hanging out !

Cheers Glenn

Glenn, a fridge gas use is very low and you would be fine to run your bbq as long as you use the correct bayonet hose and delete the hose/reg that comes standard with the webber(keep it incase you need to use it with a 9kg bottle some time down the track). The regulator on your caravan is factory set to an adequate level. If you had two gas points on your van, the one closest to the bottles might give you a bit better gas flow. I noticed on mine, the main run for a couple metres was in 3/8"copper, then it reduced to a smaller 5/16". By the time it goes through the tees and gas cocks plus the length of the main run etc any pressure loss will be probably due to these factors. But at the end of the day, most things will work fine and the chances of using everything would be slim.