Finally taken the plunge!

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Hi,

I/we are complete newbies to caravaning and after much reluctance on my part and continued requests, "encouragement" and pleading from my wife and kids, we finally ordered our 17.56-2 OB yesterday with delivery expected early August. We have done the camping thing as a family for the last five years and they have been great trips!

While we are planning a 3 or 4 month trip around some of OZ with the kids in two years, I suppose this is the opportunity to get the Expanda and get the bugs ironed out and some experience with some weekends and a few family holidays before the big one!

After reading this forum and some really helpful comments, we have chosen the following options:
- Roll out awning
- Rooftop air conditioner
- 150lt fridge
- Wind up TV antenna
- Picnic table
- 2 x shelves in robe
- Privacy screens
- 100amp battery pack
- Anderson plug to battery
- Control panel
- Add-A-Room annex
- Full oven
- Gas bayonet @ A-frame
- 19" TV/DVD 12v/240v

We have not worried about extra power points or solar (or provisioning for it), but would be interested in advice from others on these.

Was looking at getting a Honda EU20i generator.

As for the car - the 2006 Volvo XC90 has a towing capacity of 2,250kg and a ball weight of 180kg. I guess that I am about to exceed that before we put a single thing in the van! Interested to know how a 3.2lt 4-cylinder Pajero would handle the van, but if I have to, I might also look at the Landcruiser as we also tow a horse, but as my daughter is growing up (fast) we are also getting bigger horses, so this might also become an issue. Again, advice appreciated.

The kids don't know we have made the purchase - they will find out when we go t pick it up.

After all is said and done, I am now most excited - now I get to go to those remote places for the fishing trips I have always dreamed about (once the Expanda turns up in August :frown:)

Cheers,

Ro

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
You go Ro sounds like youve got it under control except for the Volvo bit but youll work it out , plenty of advice / stories and do"s and donts on here by the time youve read it all August will be here

cheers Russell

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
Sounds great.

Lots of National Parks dont allow generators and some places in WA as well- that is where solar makes you more independant- Perhaps get the solar prewiring done as well- gives you the option of solar later on.

Much cheaper to option in extra 12 volt points at the factory stage then afterwards - we have put in 3 extras to make 4 inside and one outside. Perhaps you might like to get an aerial point outside so you can opt to have the TV in the annex are as well. We have a gas bayonet at front and also near picnic table - opens up options. Also external shower we thought may be good for washing off dirty sandy muddy kids rather than dragging them to the inside shower.

Hope this helps

Reactions: ROnEM

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
You have a good list there Ro.

We went the solar for the pure fact that we did want to camp in NP's and generators are not allowed, plus it gives us the freedom to pretty much stop where ever we wanted.

It is a long wait till August, but it will arrive before you know it.

As mentioned atleast consider the prewiring of the solar.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Gas bayonet @ A-frame

Nice list of fruit.

We put a gas bayonet front and rear kerb side to help stay out of the wind and it has proved to be a good decision. The 2nd one is $90, but consider that if you add it after delivery, you will need a new gas certificate.

That would be my only comment. Congrats & enjoy!

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Thanks for the responses. Being new to this, did not know NPs don't allow generators.

As I am having the Anderson plug put in, how difficult is it to use fold-out solar panels with a lead back to the Anderson plug? The only drawback i can see from them is having to fold out the panel/s when you want to charge up, and possibly having to secure them if you are away from the van.

Any ideas as the the cost of full solar -v- prewire?

With getting solar prewire, other than panels, do you also have to add the regulator?

I am sure a generator is basically the same cost as solar anyway.

If going solar, is it best to also have 2 x 100 amp hour batteries?

Should I also have the lights changed to LEDs?

Gas at the back is also an excellent idea.

Lots of questions - so many options - so much fun to come!

Ro

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi Champ.
I think the Honda i20 is a great little generator, has enough power to run microwave, air cond and most other van electrics.

I bought my van 2nd hand {2009 14.4.2} and it came with the honda i10 generater. Hasn`t got enough power to run the microwave or air conditioner which is a bumma. Thats why it came with the van. The seller upgraded to an i20 and can now run everything he wants.

I read a thread in here about changing over to LED lights and am definitely convinced it`s the way to go.

To generalize, it seems LED lighting can drop power usage by 80%.

One member tested his power output before and after LED replacement.

18amps per hour before. 2 amps per hour after LED installation.

Thats got me on the LED cross over project.

Solar panels are a must in my opinion.

Spending time away from power yet still having all the creature comforts is a bonus. Not needing to use the generator all the time is also less hassle and noise.

Enjoy your van.

it sounds great.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Congrats on your order, we ordered one on Monday so it is exciting. I went in tyre kicking Jayco Swans and finished up ordering an Expanda 16. Deep down I knew thats what my wife wanted! Our plan was to go Swan then Expanda 16 then Expanda 18, so we have taken one step out of the equation.

Geoff