Finally bought a van

les2476

Jul 12, 2012
NSW
Hi all and thank you for your advice and suggestions.
At the show yesterday we bought a Flamingo Outback model with 4K of extras thrown in. Still looking to add some extras. At the moment we have the side walls, bed end fly's inner spring mattress on one side, lifestyle pack which includes a t.v. aerial, speakers, dvd and radio. We are looking at adding a roof rack and some bike racks. What are the things that have made your trips better, and what was a waste of money. I know that some things work for some while others don't, I just want to know what they are.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Last van was the Flamingo OB. Most useful addition was folding solar panels with Anderson plug connections under van and battery under seat. And the Aussie Mate awning on the kitchen side - extra sun shade, weather protection, ventilation when raining, etc., and bit of extra privacy.

les2476

Jul 12, 2012
NSW
Last van was the Flamingo OB. Most useful addition was folding solar panels with Anderson plug connections under van and battery under seat. And the Aussie Mate awning on the kitchen side - extra sun shade, weather protection, ventilation when raining, etc., and bit of extra privacy.

Mate I forgot to mention it came with a solar pack including inverter and battery, not sure about the anderson plug though. With the aussie mate, is that something Jayco supply?

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Mate I forgot to mention it came with a solar pack including inverter and battery, not sure about the anderson plug though. With the aussie mate, is that something Jayco supply?
Right, thinking my Flamingo not new one. Aussie Mate was thru Jayco (Prestige Jayco, Geelong, Vic). Saw advertised recently at $650. Might also mention that you get the shade without losing too much light into the "kitchen"area.
imagejpeg

les2476

Jul 12, 2012
NSW
Right, thinking my Flamingo not new one. Aussie Mate was thru Jayco (Prestige Jayco, Geelong, Vic). Saw advertised recently at $650. Might also mention that you get the shade without losing too much light into the "kitchen"area.
imagejpeg

Thanks Expanda i'll look into it.

Reactions: Xpandafan

fishinglizard

Nov 4, 2012
West of Sydney East of Lithgow
Kitchen side awning was best thing I put on the hawk I had, got it from jayco sydney. put it on myself, probaly would have got it fitted if it was brand new at the time. windows and curtains could stay open nearly all weather conditions.

Reactions: Xpandafan

jacbaz

Feb 6, 2011
Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne
We also had the kitchen awning on our Hawk when we had it - probably the best thing we bought (same as the others - great to ventilate the van even in wet weather) - sure you'll have years of fun in the new van :02.47-tranquillity:
We got ours through Alpine Canvas in Melbourne

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I'd add a water tank monitor (RV Control Panel) to keep an eye on your water level in the tank, good for when not connected to mains. The same monitor also monitors battery level too, although that could be park of you solar pack.

les2476

Jul 12, 2012
NSW
I'd add a water tank monitor (RV Control Panel) to keep an eye on your water level in the tank, good for when not connected to mains. The same monitor also monitors battery level too, although that could be park of you solar pack.

Thanks mate I'll look in to it. I also need some sort of bike rack and am wondering if the roof rack on the trailer would come in handy.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I never had a rack on my OB Hawk but I'm sure someone on here will be able to help you out. I have seen bikes mounted on the racks before but I'd say they would have to be removed before set up. Maybe something to consider on a quick overnighter on the bigger trips.

billykidd

Apr 2, 2013
Brisbane
Our Hawk came with two racks on the roof and I added a third in between them i was then able to put a roof rack basket up there to carry stuff. Used to carry a bike lying down in it, and the kids bikes. I was going to put bike carry fittings on the racks, but sold the Hawk for an expanda Before I got to it. Ours wasn't an outback, but still needed a step ladder to load / unload the racks. The racks were also good for fishing rods.
Also another vote for a kitchen side awning, great in summer.
A pole carrier on the draw bar was a great inclusion to keep annex poles together and out of the way.
Enjoy the Flamingo They are a great van.

les2476

Jul 12, 2012
NSW
Our Hawk came with two racks on the roof and I added a third in between them i was then able to put a roof rack basket up there to carry stuff. Used to carry a bike lying down in it, and the kids bikes. I was going to put bike carry fittings on the racks, but sold the Hawk for an expanda Before I got to it. Ours wasn't an outback, but still needed a step ladder to load / unload the racks. The racks were also good for fishing rods.
Also another vote for a kitchen side awning, great in summer.
A pole carrier on the draw bar was a great inclusion to keep annex poles together and out of the way.
Enjoy the Flamingo They are a great van.
Thank you I can't wait to pick it up. At this stage I've added a hot water system with external shower and the kitchen side awning. $$$$$ are fast running out so the rest may have to be self made/built etc.. call in a few favors lol.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Thank you I can't wait to pick it up. At this stage I've added a hot water system with external shower and the kitchen side awning. $$$$$ are fast running out so the rest may have to be self made/built etc.. call in a few favors lol.
Take your time. You're already off to a great start.

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Congrats on your purchase. Do you have a long wait? I bet you're already planning your first trip!

les2476

Jul 12, 2012
NSW
Congrats on your purchase. Do you have a long wait? I bet you're already planning your first trip![/q
thanks we are looking up north somewhere around Byron, we love the coast and exploring as I have a passion for photography myself.

les2476

Jul 12, 2012
NSW
Congrats on your purchase. Do you have a long wait? I bet you're already planning your first trip!
Thanks we are looking up north somewhere around Byron, we love the coast and exploring as I have a passion for photography myself.