20' Series Factory ATM plate upgrade

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
So after seeing a few posts about people getting their compliance plates upgraded to provide added ATM capacity, I thought I'd get it done to give me a few extra kilo's which would help keep me legal.

I spoke to a rep from Jayco Sydney at Rel the show, and she said it should be no problem, just send them a pic of the plate and they'd get the factory to provide a new one up the to maximum for the axle group.

Unfortunately this was the reply I got.

"Unfortunately Melbourne has just informed me that they can no longer do vin plate upgrades. They have advised me that you are able to go to your local RTA and request this.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused."

I wouldn't have thought this was something RMS would do, but interested if anyone has experience with this.

Reactions: Drover

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
I'd suggest you reply to Jayco and ask for the details on the maximum for that van's axle group. You would this in WA but don't know what NSW is like.
You will also require a new blank VIN plate which you can then scribe with the new details. In WA you have to leave the existing plate attached and then attach the new plate once it is approved.

Reactions: bigcol

Mosue

Oct 14, 2016
Perth WA
I'd suggest you reply to Jayco and ask for the details on the maximum for that van's axle group. You would this in WA but don't know what NSW is like.
You will also require a new blank VIN plate which you can then scribe with the new details. In WA you have to leave the existing plate attached and then attach the new plate once it is approved.
Glen, is it easy to get done in WA? Or is it a lot of red tape and money??

jandl

Mar 18, 2014
Perth
I did this when I had the expanda. I removed the plate and gave it to Caravanland who sent it to the factory and replaced it with a new one with an extra 100 kg as the tyres, axle and Springs were rated for over 2000kgs. The original was @ 1900 kgs. When I received the new plate, took the van to the licensing centre and after a quick inspection new papers were issued. Happy days

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
Glen, is it easy to get done in WA? Or is it a lot of red tape and money??
Relativly easy - I did it for our Coromal. It comes down to what the existing capacity of the Axle, Brake drums, electric brakes, chains, tyres. I had to put in a Breakaway as I was wanting over 2T, and also had to upgrade the tyres to carry the heavier load. load ratings are on the net - I had to get 112 tyres!. Then an inspection cost $60 a few years ago.

Mosue

Oct 14, 2016
Perth WA
I did this when I had the expanda. I removed the plate and gave it to Caravanland who sent it to the factory and replaced it with a new one with an extra 100 kg as the tyres, axle and Springs were rated for over 2000kgs. The original was @ 1900 kgs. When I received the new plate, took the van to the licensing centre and after a quick inspection new papers were issued. Happy days
Thanks! I'll call them tomorrow and see if the process is still the same!

Reactions: jandl

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Could you please let us know how you go and where the process is documented eg. on a RTA page - this is assuming it is documented.
This is what I've found so far.

Points me back to the dealer or manufacturer.

If Sydney won't help interested to know if other dealers will still do it

Attachments

• vsi48-changing-gvm-goods-vehicles.pdf
    56.2 KB · Views: 431

Tonykarter15

Jan 23, 2015
Central Coast
Yes, how did it go?
i also approached Jayco directly who said the same to me and I would also like to go down the same path that you are currently doing

Mosue

Oct 14, 2016
Perth WA
It's taken 3 weeks but, today I finally got an answer!( been lots of calls and emails trying to get something out of em!)
I called perths Jayco dealer, who told me a bulletin had come through from Jayco to say no more issuing of upgrade plates- he thought it was to do with litigation.- he suggested a call to PDA in perth as they have an engineer to see what they can do.
Peter finally got back to me( taken 4 calls & 4 emails, he's currently very understaffed!) after supplying him with the chassis number ( it's on the front A frame by the tow hitch.) he is able to log into the Jayco site and get all the details of my van build. - The answer was that the gear I have is rated correctly and not under rated as he first thought meaning I couldn't get a new upgraded plate ( somehow he can still get them through Jayco??)
So, I need work done to the axle, suspension and brakes, which will give me another 400kg, the cost of this would be around $1600- nice increase but do I want to spend the money???????

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
It's taken 3 weeks but, today I finally got an answer!( been lots of calls and emails trying to get something out of em!)
I called perths Jayco dealer, who told me a bulletin had come through from Jayco to say no more issuing of upgrade plates- he thought it was to do with litigation.- he suggested a call to PDA in perth as they have an engineer to see what they can do.
Peter finally got back to me( taken 4 calls & 4 emails, he's currently very understaffed!) after supplying him with the chassis number ( it's on the front A frame by the tow hitch.) he is able to log into the Jayco site and get all the details of my van build. - The answer was that the gear I have is rated correctly and not under rated as he first thought meaning I couldn't get a new upgraded plate ( somehow he can still get them through Jayco??)
So, I need work done to the axle, suspension and brakes, which will give me another 400kg, the cost of this would be around $1600- nice increase but do I want to spend the money???????
I pretty much got to the same point with my enquiries.

If I leave 1 tank empty when I travel I'm under the max ATM so I guess that's as good as it's going to get until I upgrade to a new van and make sure it's plated correctly before I take delivery.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Depends on what the original suspension is as to how much you can get from adding an upgraded axle and springs, cost effective if you can DIY just a big balance of whats gained for $$$$$, if a smaller van and you go over 2t then you also add breakaway.....hear a lot about brake upgrade but can't see why, my 14.44 had 12"off roads while my 22ft has 10" and it weighs in a good 1ton heavier.

Tare weight is a fictional base line and has no bearing in the real world.

Mosue

Oct 14, 2016
Perth WA
I'll fully load up again and head over the weigh bridge again before my next trip and see how much weight I've removed & and have to go. I need both water tanks full again this trip, but have removed a mattress gas bottle and so much in the cupboards, I feel like a backpacker again traveling so light!
Hopefully I'll be close! Hi

Mosue

Oct 14, 2016
Perth WA
Finally got my van booked in for the Upgrade at PDA Caravans Maddington, I dropped it off yesterday. Pete the owner said he goes through a check list on the van you see what actually needs upgrading to be compliant. Starting at the chains & Shackles, are they rated high enough? then goes on to the frame,chassis,suspension,brakes. once he has checked it out he will call me with a quote. If I agree it will get done then when completed they have an engineer come in and sign off on the work done.
Seems I can get another 400+kg, but I'll let you know when I know!

Reactions: G Daddy and bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Finally got my van booked in for the Upgrade at PDA Caravans Maddington, I dropped it off yesterday. Pete the owner said he goes through a check list on the van you see what actually needs upgrading to be compliant. Starting at the chains & Shackles, are they rated high enough? then goes on to the frame,chassis,suspension,brakes. once he has checked it out he will call me with a quote. If I agree it will get done then when completed they have an engineer come in and sign off on the work done.
Very interested to see how you go

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth

Very interested to see how you go

me too

I have been to PDA before, and was very happy with them