Extra child cost

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Ok, I know that we are still paying less for a site than a cabin, but what do you consider we should be paying for an extra child per night! Is it just me or are we being ripped off!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Ripped off I reckon, when the tribe was still with us it owuld have kept us out of any parks, actually it did couldn't afford fuel plus park fee's..........

Reactions: bigcol

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Ripped off we have 4 kids and it often doubles the price. Like they use extra power or water.
You tried getting 4 kids showered it is not something you do daily :)

I know others have said you should not mention kids at all
or cut the number down from 4 to 2.. Have identical twins they will not be able to tell he he

Yes sucks.. The one thing I look at when booking a site if its over $10 a kid we pick somewhere else.

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Willing to pay $5 per night / child but anything more is too much. Doubt they would offer discount to any single travellers.
Could understand increased costs for resort type campsites but then they usually charge more for the pitch to begin with.

Reactions: Tone and bigcol

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Yep bloody rip off alright,
I've heard of some places charging for dogs, only happened to us once $2 a day can't even remember what park it was though only there one night

Last edited:

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Just did some searches for Christmas. I normally work though luckily
Big4 Bellarine $20 per kid.. $115 per site. They must get it as its booked out
Big4 Beacon $17 per kid $118 per site again booked out
Big4 Anglesea $20 per kid $135 per site booked out
Away from coast
Big4 Windmill Ballarat $13 per kid $50 per site available

Reactions: bigcol and 1DayIll

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Just did some searches for Christmas. I normally work though luckily
Big4 Bellarine $20 per kid.. $115 per site. They must get it as its booked out
Big4 Beacon $17 per kid $118 per site again booked out
Big4 Anglesea $20 per kid $135 per site booked out
Away from coast
Big4 Windmill Ballarat $13 per kid $50 per site available

So whichever way you look at it, they are certainly getting there money. $20 per kid is just ridiculous!

mbr37746

Oct 20, 2013
Central West NSW
Supply & demand, people will pay even if it's for a rip off. I begrudge paying it but still have to. One park we have been going to for a few years has our kids down as 2 toddlers which drives a lower price.... wife and I giggle about it a lot as the kids must be likened to The Simpsons kids that haven't aged in 25yrs.
I don't see how kids really drive the excess cost myself.

Reactions: BaxnRach

The escapist

Nov 9, 2016
Sydney
Absolutely we're being ripped off! $15-$20 per night during peak is obscene!

Mind you, we've little choice when we're forced to take time off during peak times. Free camping is an option, but not on the coast where we like to go!

Reactions: 1DayIll

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
We have 3 kids so it adds $15 and upwards per night.

Considering we have an ensuite and can carry enough water if we need to for showers, etc for a few days and there is no extra power (the heater is on or off and we can run from 12v anyway).....

But you have little choice.

I think if you are using the amenities then $5 per child or $10 for any legitimate family unit is fair (how many kids can 1 couple take that are really theirs???). The exception may be 2 cars max but that wouldn't happen often.

$10/family (on top of site fee) covers a lot of hot water for showers. Toilets need to be cleaned regardless. Playgrounds don't really "wear out" so I am not sure what else the fee covers.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
thats why we always did the free camping in the state forests - and that was 20+ years ago

we did find a couple of parks that charged a flat rate for families, which was slightly cheaper than paying $10 extra for 3 kids per night

now its not so bad, but

it still hurts

Reactions: 1DayIll

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
No charge at all at Surfside in Warrnambool at Xmas as it is a family parks chain. Not sure if they are all like that but might be worth a look. From memory just under $60 a night which is good for peak times. But I agree getting stung $10-$20 a night for a kid is bloody robbery!

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Mmmmm.....personally, I'd charge $100 per kid after what we endured in a caravan park last week....noise, then shrieks, showers dominated by kids etc from 5 am to 12 pm.

Our fault I know for being in a park during school holidays,

GOF time again.

:oops:

The escapist

Nov 9, 2016
Sydney
Just booked a weekend in Shellharbour NSW. Paid an extra $56 per night for a stay in September - not even peak period. $13 per kid, going with ,my bro-in-law and his boys.... He nearly fell over at the price!

Reactions: davemc

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
4 kids, and get totally ripped off. The only places we have stayed is Karijini where they didn't charge for the boys. (They were ranging from 2 to 7 though).
On our 2 trips venturing around the country, we were told by others we were stupid for saying we have 4, and I agree. Now, I'm expected to pay adult prices for the eldest 2 .

Reactions: davemc and bigcol

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Kids under 15 should be free if not for them we mite not stay in van parks at all its all about the kids yes we get over charged for them how much stuff dose a 5 or 4 year old use they allways use our toilet and shower in our van i wouldnt wash my car in some parks showers its terrible what they sting us i would go bush in a well set up camper trailor if i had no kids ok im finnished

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Kids under 15 should be free if not for them we mite not stay in van parks at all ......
Great point @Bluey

I colleague (who used to be active here) travelled around Oz for 4 months in a tourer and all c/parks, didnt declare his 3 kids once. We sometimes forget to declare the Cruskett, particularly in holiday periods when the little humans are pretty thick on the ground.

Never ever ever declare kids in free camps / Nat Parks etc. That's the greatest insult of all. To be fair, we take a sandwich bag full of compressed air so he doesn't breath theirs.