External gas BBQ outlet

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Hi all,
I thought I'd share this simple external gas outlet. Cost was $65 all up.
I got all the bits from BOC with the exception of the Tee. BOC wanted $40:( for the Tee and BCF have them for $25:).

Attachments

• IMG_0296.jpg
    IMG_0296.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,331

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Sorry to say but this is very bad. You have teed into the unregulated side of the system. Do not use and seek professional assistance. You need to tee into the line on the outlet of the regulator, not before. You Will damage your appliance and yourself. Note to all, Do not do plumbing on these vans yourself. It is illegal also and will void insurance, just not worth it.

Geoff

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Sorry to say but this is very bad. You have teed into the unregulated side of the system. Do not use and seek professional assistance. You need to tee into the line on the outlet of the regulator, not before. You Will damage your appliance and yourself. Note to all, Do not do plumbing on these vans yourself. It is illegal also and will void insurance, just not worth it.

Geoff

Geoff I do agree, but I think that Turtle is using a regulated BBQ hose, as the thread is exactly the same as what comes out of the bottle.

Turtle, can you clarify this?

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW

Geoff

I agree that we need to be very careful, but wouldn't Turtle use a regulated BBQ hose for this, like in any other situation?

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Yes, your correct guys, the lead for the BBQ has a built in regulator and therefore there is no problem.
This is probably the case for most BBQ's so I've often wondered if having the van regulator and them BBQ regulator after that, causes any issues?

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Yes, your correct guys, the lead for the BBQ has a built in regulator and therefore there is no problem.
This is probably the case for most BBQ's so I've often wondered if having the van regulator and them BBQ regulator after that, causes any issues?

I put the extra outlet on at the factory, but bought the wrong BBQ, the control valve had the requlator built in, but managed to get a refund and bought the Weber. BUT, I had to buy a new hose for the weber as I needed one that did not have a regulator on it.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
It is a dual bottle set up but the way it is plumbed the bbq can only get gas off the one bottle. If the bbq is not connected and the bottle is on there is potential for the red handle gas cock to be live with liqiud gas. Imagine if a kid turned it on or it was accidently turned on. I may have sounded harsh in my original statement so didnt mean to come accross that way.

I have been researching getting a camper so just in the last few weeks I have joined a few forums. I am from a gas back ground and I have been horrified by some of the things I have seen. I have infact ordered a 16-49-4 hence why I joined this forum. Wife got her way and we didnt get the swan.

The better way would be to have a bayonet at the draw bar etc from the regulated gas supply. That way you are only dealing with around 2.75 kpa and not liquid. Plus he would then have the potential to draw from 2 bottle and not one like it is now. Just my thoughts, plus it would not cost that much to do anyway.

If he wanted to go the way he has then he should disconnect and cap the pigtail to the right bottle so the left is for the regulated system. Then the right bottle can be just like a spare and used for the bbq when required(just like any LPG bbq). It is much harder for a kid to turn on a handle than a quarter turn gas cock.

Just trying to help out.

Geoff

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Thank you all for your advice & comments.
I have procedures in place that I find satisfy any safety concerns.
1) The gas lines have a valve before the regulator and this value is set so that the left hand bottle is supplying the van only.
2) The right hand bottle is generally only supplying the BBQ and the bottle is only turned on when the BBQ is connected.
3) If the left hand bottle ran out and I needed to draw from the right hand bottle to supply the van, the BBQ would still be connected.
4) The quarter turn red cock is purely there to isolate the BBQ hose then the BBQ is connected but not in use as if I am drawing from the right hand bottle for the van, I can't isolate the hose by turning the bottle off.
I believe the above negates the concerns that Geoff has in relation to the system being tampered with but if I've missed anything I'd welcome your thoughts!
Glad to be involved in a group that looks out for each other!!!!