Electrical External 12v Sockets

Omar H

Jan 12, 2017
Sydney
Hi guys

My expanda doesn't come with any external 12v sockets, which is a major inconvenience. So I've bought the sockets and all the gear but I'm trying to find the easiest way to wire it up.

I had heard previously that if I open up the fridge vent 2010 expanda - fridge is on the same side as the door) and there is apparently meant to be 12v wiring u can tap into. I had a look and found several red/black wires but when I tested them using my voltmeter, didn't get a reading on any of the black and red pairs. I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong or using the wrong pair.

Please see attached phot for reference. Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_1081.JPG
    IMG_1081.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 272
Reactions: Vere

Vere

Oct 5, 2014
Adelaide
I have a 2013 expanda and I found the same thing. I assume that as my fridge will only run when connected to the car, the 12v power will only be available when connected to the car.

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Hi,
I drilled two holes and run wiring from the Setec through the floor and ran wiring in conduit to outlets under the front and rear of the front and rear of the caravan. Alternatively you could drill a hole in the floor to run the cable back into the caravan and then drill a hole and run it through to connect to an outlet.

Omar H

Jan 12, 2017
Sydney
Hi,
I drilled two holes and run wiring from the Setec through the floor and ran wiring in conduit to outlets under the front and rear of the front and rear of the caravan. Alternatively you could drill a hole in the floor to run the cable back into the caravan and then drill a hole and run it through to connect to an outlet.
Okay great. I had this as a fallback option if I couldn't get my initial option working. Hopefully I'll give this a go tomorrow.

Thanks for your help guys!

Reactions: bigcol

Geoff83

Apr 22, 2015
Perth
I just went straight off the battery (in line fuse) and with a bit of fiddling went through the grommet for the water hose coming inside from the tank to the heater / pump etc .. Ran across the underneath and put a double outlet on the support above the mudflap.
Does the trick for us, reading above probably best getting into the setec too though

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Run your power from battery if you want to run a fridge or other high power drain but for phone charge or led light if you look in the back of cupboards inside the cable shielding you find white/black wires they will be your 12v, the wires in the pic are the 12v run from the car usually...............usually well over on the left you will see a junction with red/black joining white/black they are the van 12v to fridge, not for running fridge but for the switch etc. (thats a 3 way fridge)

Jayco use black/white for 12v, any red/black wiring is from equipment fitted, always check polarity and a merit plug is way better than a cig socket.

Use a multi meter and pull fuses to ID your wires before stuffing around with them and of course always have the 240 unplugged.

Omar H

Jan 12, 2017
Sydney
Great advice drover! i need to wire up a couple of extra sockets internally so I'll definitely heed your words and get a start on this tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the tips and advice today.... absolutely loving the forum!!

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
More than welcome mate, don't forget the pics later on......................nothing more captivating than a wall with a socket stuck in it....lol,lol.....

Reactions: dagree and bigcol