Exterior Exterior stone protection

Jazdiver

May 26, 2016
Berwick
Hi All, without putting on aluminium chequer plate down the sides, does anyone know where you can attain the black cladding used on the sides of the Outback models at all? Looks like a plastic or polyethylene type black chequer plate. Does anybody know where l can get it at all?

Jazdiver

May 26, 2016
Berwick
image.jpg
Like this, is it a plastic or anodised aluminium? Alternatively what else is available, or have people used?

Sammy D

Feb 14, 2016
Quirindi
If I didn't have the outback version I would seriously consider looking at a spray on product similar to the ute tray liners ect like what lineX do http://www.linex.com/pages/2010/light_industrial/

They do an awesome job and I think they would be better than the checker plate stuff on the outback models. Most big towns have a spray paint mob that stock a similar product. I have no idea on the price though, maybe it would be prohibitive but I would have thought for something that simple it should be cheaper.

Jazdiver

May 26, 2016
Berwick
Good call. Finish looks great. Probably a lot more durable than the stuff Jayco put on the side. Will let you know what the price works out to be.

Reactions: Sammy D

Sammy D

Feb 14, 2016
Quirindi
Actually had a close look at our van this afternoon (hooking it up to go down to the Inlaws (Narrandera) for a few days) and the front of the van actually has a spray on poly type coating on it for the bottom foot or so. I guess to minimise stone chips, so I don't see why a decent layer along the sides wouldn't work, the checker plate doesn't feel extra thick or strong so I think a good liner spray would be just as good.

It will be interesting to hear the price. Also the weight would be interesting too, just to see how it compares to a sheet of thin checkerpkate.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Seen other vans that have what looks like stone chip paint down the sides, comes up quite good and probably better than the alloy sides.. My old 14ft panda I priced some alloy and it was going to be somewhere between $150 and $200 cut to size and DIY fit, it was about $110 a sheet.