14' Series Expandas v Starcraft advice

Mattanddeb

Mar 18, 2015
Victoria
Hi all, we are looking at updating our 14 ft expanda as we have 2 kids and are wanting a ensuite. I just cannot get my head around why the Starcraft is so much cheaper and better value for money than the expanda? We are wanting a full van with bunks but are just so undecided as to what to get? The Starcraft u get an oven and looks like you get all the same fittings etc the only thing I suppose with the expanda is you can get an extra bed. Other brands like the elite vans and the royal flairs are very tempting too but so scared to not get a jayco!

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Hi @Mattanddeb. Great question and not one simple answer.
We went from a 16.49-2 Expanda to a 20 foot Starcraft simply for the ease of setting up. It is bigger and heavier though - needed a bigger car too.
Keeping single beds in our setup gave us the floor space we were used to in the Expanda which was important with four in the van.
For me, the Jayco brand will help with resale.
The fibreglass sided starcrafts weren't available when we purchased ours but I'd go with one if we were buying now.

Reactions: bigcol

Mattanddeb

Mar 18, 2015
Victoria
Hi @Mattanddeb. Great question and not one simple answer.
We went from a 16.49-2 Expanda to a 20 foot Starcraft simply for the ease of setting up. It is bigger and heavier though - needed a bigger car too.
Keeping single beds in our setup gave us the floor space we were used to in the Expanda which was important with four in the van.
For me, the Jayco brand will help with resale.
The fibreglass sided starcrafts weren't available when we purchased ours but I'd go with one if we were buying now.
Thank a much for that! So you would not go back to a expanda?

Brougham

May 22, 2016
Perth, WA
www.customphoto.com.au
Talking to the sales guys at week at our local Jayco dealer it was pretty clear on price difference.

Expandas have the end lids and bed hardware, plus they have a lot more inside.

A 17" expands is equivalent to a 21/22" caravan as the beds are outside there's more space inside that requires fitout.

Eg our 17" expanda has a LOT more cupboards, beds, seats and equipment than my brothers new 17" Starcraft. He has the double bed inside the 17" frame, whereas we have the queen & double beds outside the 17" frame.

Reactions: bigcol and KECL

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi all, we are looking at updating our 14 ft expanda as we have 2 kids and are wanting a ensuite. I just cannot get my head around why the Starcraft is so much cheaper and better value for money than the expanda? We are wanting a full van with bunks but are just so undecided as to what to get? The Starcraft u get an oven and looks like you get all the same fittings etc the only thing I suppose with the expanda is you can get an extra bed. Other brands like the elite vans and the royal flairs are very tempting too but so scared to not get a jayco!
You already know if the tent end is a good, bad, or indifferent thing for you guys. We currently have a 20ft Expanda and for us it is very important to have that tent end, I personally don't want an enclosed caravan and have no intention at this point going down that path. Having the benefit of being able to open up the entire bed to the breeze, for me is a no brainer and irreplaceable. Its the van thats a no brainer, not me)

Expandas are no more onerous to set up with the jerking around we all do regardless of the van type with disconnection, WDH's, ramps, reversing, whinging, arguing, power leads, water, sullage, stabilising legs, awning, chairs, tables, Webers, bikes, kayaks, matting, clotheslines blaa blaa. Some people could build a house faster than others set up a 16ft van site, and others can set up a complex tent site so fast it will impress an entire campground.

If the tent end isnt your driving criteria, and the Starcraft is cheaper I think you've answered your own question. (Even tho everyone knows Expandas better) If you dont need the extra bed, having it is irrelevant. We have an oven in our Expanda and the club lounge we have is also great. Good luck with it all