Just Browsing Expanda with no bunks

DeeSharmo

May 7, 2020
Glen Innes NSW
Hi, can anyone tell me what number Expandas have no bunks? I'm looking for one that has an ensuite but no bunks as we want the storage. Or are they something that is custom made? Thanks

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi, can anyone tell me what number Expandas have no bunks? I'm looking for one that has an ensuite but no bunks as we want the storage. Or are they something that is custom made? Thanks
Hi @DeeSharmo and welcome. What sort of age and size are you aiming at, full van or poptop? Expanda models changed a lot over the years and some earlier ones were able to be special ordered with all sorts of changes no longer allowed. The earlier 16.49.3 were double ended 16ft single axle poptops with a combo shower/toilet and no bunks

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
Hi @DeeSharmo and welcome, as @Crusty181 has said it will depend on the size you are looking for. We have moved from a 16 with double beds each end but no shower/toilet to an 18 double beds, shower / toilet and no bunks. It is a 2016 model but was custom ordered (not by us) with the bunks replaced with cubourds and draws.

We have been after one in the 17 & 18 ft length for approximately 18 months and in that time only 2 have come up (one 17 and one 18). You may be able to have one built by Jayco, but I do not beleive that it is an option that they offer anymore.

You can see pictures of an 18 here (which is the one we bought secondhand). Same rational we do not need bunks.

DeeSharmo

May 7, 2020
Glen Innes NSW
Hi, thanks for the welcome!
We don't mind if it's a full van or pop top. @millers your van is exactly what I had in mind. I'd rather storage then bunks. Our kids are older (17, has swag) and really only have our 10 yr old in with us, with our 20 yr old joining us occasionally.
Is it worth getting one with bunks and taking them out and putting in cupboards? Or will that be expensive?

Gero

Jun 10, 2020
Geraldton
Hi , have ordered 17.56.2 and Jayco have removed double bunks and replaced with cupboards including overheads for no additional cost. I am wondering if they will raise the window as the cupboards may be a little short if not. Will find out when delivered next month. Cheers.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well a 14.44.3 didn't have bunks but that is way to small for you I reckon.
Bunks aren't all that bad, can be extra seating or really good storage, better than stashing under seats and versatility is great, many options as to what to do with them, just need to sit back on a creek bank and contemplate, the only down side I could see with having bunks would some offspring would have ideas along the lines of travelling babysitters.................

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
@DeeSharmo it all depends on time and budget and the final product that you want. Jayco site will give you the latest offerings and caravansales (or what ever other websites there are) will give you lots of secondhand ones to look at to determine what you like. Once I decided that the answer was not 16ft with shower and toilet I placed searches in caravansales looking for a number of criteria to try and nail down non bunk options. As stated you will need to plan to wait, or be lucky that there is one soon.

If you want to modify an existing secondhand then again set your criteria in the sales web sites and see what you come up with (for example one similar to mine is here) and others come up for sale from time to time on this site. You would then need to have some one (or DIY) the removal. To me this was not a good option as I may not have an idea of the final product and the change will always have gotchas. Also means we had to wait for the mods to be finished prior to travelling.

So you will need to determine if Jayco will do the mod on a new van/poptop, someone will mod a secondhand one or you wait for one to be advertised.

The other comment I will make is that the 17 ft was in NSW and we missed that one and the 18 ft was in Qld (the one we got) and I drove from SA to pick it up.

There may be others on here with the knowledge about the how to do the mod.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi , have ordered 17.56.2 and Jayco have removed double bunks and replaced with cupboards including overheads for no additional cost. I am wondering if they will raise the window as the cupboards may be a little short if not. Will find out when delivered next month. Cheers.
Welcome @Gero, thats uplifting to hear Jayco still do some mods to their range

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
There you go, if you like the 17.56.2 pop-top from Jayco that is an option, I beleive that the 18 only comes in full van but that is another.

Reactions: DeeSharmo