Expanda vs discovery

Tuco

Jul 16, 2012
Had our Expanda for a few years now and love it, but sometimes get a bit sick of canvas, wet canvas , condensation on canvas , bed flys over canvas, was considering selling 16-49-3.
Wife likes discovery 17-55-5sh has double bed, bunks, shower/toilet , no canvas , anyone know anybody who has one , like it , love it , hate it , any input will help , would love to look in one ,none in WA for sale

Hi Hornet. Sorry for the belated reply - have just found and joined this forum.

We picked up our new Sterling 17.55-4 OB from the Dandenong factory in March this year.

We are both retired and don't need the extra bedding that some of the family models have. We elected to go with the 2 single beds as it gives more useable inside room, but the main sway point was that we also wanted a slide out outside BBQ, and the BBQ can not be fitted to double bed models as it infringes on the area between the bed and exterior wall.

In the past we have owned camper trailer (hard floor) and built a Hino bus motorhome conversion.

We didn't like the wet canvas aspect of the camper trailer and after a couple of disasterous wet trips changed to the motorhome. The motorhome we great and we only recently sold it after 7 years.

We've now gone over to the 'dark side' (LOL) and joined the poptop fraternity.

So far very happy, except for the fuel useage of our new Nissan Patrol and Sterling combo. Towing is typically 18 to 22 LHK , where the Hino was normally 13-15 LHK !!

We purchased from our local Cairns dealer, but elected to do a factory pickup and saved about $5K in freight cost.

There were a number of small problems with the unit, but these have all been rectified without question by our local dealer.

We ordered ours with a number of options that we wanted, compressor fridge (Waeco CT110), external BBQ, 120W solar (came with 2x110AH AGM's and I have added another 120AH AGM), external shower in addition to the internal shower/toilet, 16" alloys.

Very happy so far ...

seanparky

Jul 19, 2012
Brisbane
Had our Expanda for a few years now and love it, but sometimes get a bit sick of canvas, wet canvas , condensation on canvas , bed flys over canvas, was considering selling 16-49-3.
Wife likes discovery 17-55-5sh has double bed, bunks, shower/toilet , no canvas , anyone know anybody who has one , like it , love it , hate it , any input will help , would love to look in one ,none in WA for sale

Hey Hornet i found this the other day. I dont have cash flow at the moment. Sounds like what you guys are after. Hope this helps. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261065240702&ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:AU:1123

seanparky

Jul 19, 2012
Brisbane
Hey Brookes i think they eat outside. Now i know this can be customed made im not sure what to order now. What is all this talk with mould and wet canvas and beds. Is this a problem with the expandas?