Exterior Expanda rain gutter......

May 1, 2017
Hobart
Ok so whist in bunnings i found a small aluminium extrusion which looked just like a perfect gutter. Though to myself, this might be a good solution to keeping water of the bed, whcih looks like to be flowing down of the main roof.

It fits nicely too.

DO you think thins woudl help in keeping water off the canvas?

Attachments

• 20170509_200909.jpg
    20170509_200909.jpg
    575.8 KB · Views: 453
  • 20170509_200938.jpg
    20170509_200938.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 455
  • 20170509_200948.jpg
    20170509_200948.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 455

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Our new 2016 model came with this already fitted.

For what it's worth, the side away from the door is bent down a little to let the water drain away from the door (I think its also fitting on a slight angle)

Tonykarter15

Jan 23, 2015
Central Coast
I fitted the following as a rain gutter but located it under the hinge. I was in Cowra when it flooded last year and found that in really heavy rain, when water seeped through the hinge, it ran into this gutter then dribbled out the end.

i wanted something that didn't appear to be retro fitted from the outside.

Attachments

• IMG_1434.JPG
    IMG_1434.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 358
  • IMG_1436.JPG
    IMG_1436.JPG
    962.3 KB · Views: 345

DWWood

Jun 26, 2016
Yarra Valley
Ok so whist in bunnings i found a small aluminium extrusion which looked just like a perfect gutter. Though to myself, this might be a good solution to keeping water of the bed, whcih looks like to be flowing down of the main roof.

It fits nicely too.

DO you think thins woudl help in keeping water off the canvas?

It will help divert the rain water rolling off the roof getting to the hinge however if like mine the rain water also runs back towards the hinge from the hard lid so in your instance I would need to put another channel at the top of the lid to stop the water reaching the hinge.

I tried the sikaflex option (found somewhere else on the forum) but that didn't work real flash so I've just booked mine in to the local awning/canvas joint to get the hinges covered altogether as per the photo's which I lifted from them forum.

Big thanks to whomever posted the photo's!!

1.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:
May 1, 2017
Hobart
Thanks Guys. Yeah on the the style i have the lid sits into the recess so you dont have room to put a channel on the inside. I like the canvas idea but it looks a little out of place. Humm im sure ill come up with something.

barney120

Dec 10, 2013
Kangaroo Valley
It will help divert the rain water rolling off the roof getting to the hinge however if like mine the rain water also runs back towards the hinge from the hard lid so in your instance I would need to put another channel at the top of the lid to stop the water reaching the hinge.

I tried the sikaflex option (found somewhere else on the forum) but that didn't work real flash so I've just booked mine in to the local awning/canvas joint to get the hinges covered altogether as per the photo's which I lifted from them forum.

Big thanks to whomever posted the photo's!!

View attachment 49306

View attachment 49307
when we first encountered rain, the same thing happened on my van. the lid was tilting back towards van with water running to the hinge. My solution was to remount the strut so lid tilted the right direction with water running away from the van, I am sure this is how it is meant to be, just slack building of van, one of the numerous jobs that everyone needs to do to make things right.

Reactions: DWWood and G Daddy

barney120

Dec 10, 2013
Kangaroo Valley
Got a pic of where you moved the structs to. I will have a look at this tonight lol.
can do tonight, but all I did was undo the mounts at the bottom of strut and sat a level on hard lid to make sure it was tilting the correct way and with wife/boss holding the lid in position, mark where the strut had to be re-attached (slightly lower than original holes) and re-attached strut to the van in new holes. this then only allowed lid to go up to correct height.

Dajotrad

Aug 3, 2014
Those pics are from my van, I'm glad they have gone to good use. I had this done a month or so after buying the van as I wasn't going to put up with any "possible" solutions. I haven't had wet canvas on the top since. Those were taken on a clean day too, I'd only washed it the weekend before
@Bluey @dagree @Crusty181
Love what you have done have reduced water in to a minimum but think this would solve my problem completely . How are the trims fitted screwed or just sicaflex or something similar.
Thanks
Dave