18' Series Expanda Grey Water Tank Placement?

Hi all, I'm really having great difficulty trying to work out how I can fit a grey water tank under my 18.57.8 O.B.. I've asked for help via various fb pages but still have no direction. Key top the problem is that there is only 310-340m.m. between the chassis rails, which run East/West, leaving very little room to place a tank. Indeed I haven't been able to find any that narrow. A caravan service business near me said they could do it by welding 100m.m. steel rectangular section to the existing chassis rails in a North/South direction & then fit a 210m.m. deep tank to those rectangular sections. Problem with this is that I lose 310m.m. of ground clearance, sort of negates the purpose of having an O.B. . I've seen Dave R's tank but that all looks very complicated. Really appreciate any guidance and pictures from members. T.I.A.

Reactions: Marv_mart

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@Drover did a good simple job on the Tardis and Big Mal

not just @DaveR

both would and should give you an easy step by step idea of what needs to be done

although
I think @DaveR is on his trip to WA and back at the moment

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you have a look at my thread I have some pics and some description of how I did the tank on both my vans, by tucking it behind the rear wheel you negate the ground clearance problem. You basically have to have the tank at or below the chassis rail for things to flow.
If you run a string line from the rear bumper to the bottom of the rear wheel anything outside the line can get hit, anything inside the line should be clear of getting caught up, unless your jumping off ledges........the tank will be empty most of the time which most people don't think about.
You need to be able to flush the tank out quickly and easily, store bought ones usually are modified water tanks and don't clean out all that well, so stink in time.

Reactions: bigcol
If you have a look at my thread I have some pics and some description of how I did the tank on both my vans, by tucking it behind the rear wheel you negate the ground clearance problem. You basically have to have the tank at or below the chassis rail for things to flow.
If you run a string line from the rear bumper to the bottom of the rear wheel anything outside the line can get hit, anything inside the line should be clear of getting caught up, unless your jumping off ledges........the tank will be empty most of the time which most people don't think about.
You need to be able to flush the tank out quickly and easily, store bought ones usually are modified water tanks and don't clean out all that well, so stink in time.
Thanks @Drover, could you possibly post a link, I have searched 120 of 200 posts under your name & not come up with anything yet?
Thanks, Steve

DaveR

Mar 13, 2017
Gold Coast
The simple job i did is'nt complicated at all.
Just go to the green shed at opening time when it is quiet and soldier the fittings up on the floor.
When a staff member saw me, he happily jumped on it so he could build one himself.
I gained a lot of volume by using the Tee fitting that are male/female.

Reactions: MDS69

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
You could always look at the cost of having a metal one fabricated to the dimensions you need. It's not drinking water so the material it's made of doesn't really matter. It's just a box with a couple of threaded fittings after all.

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Seeing @Base23 thread has made me want to do this again - especially since it now seems so easy to connect the Drifta panel - $20 for the sensor delivered seems a walk in the part.

For what it's worth, it will also stop the "slow" drainage issue (which is actually an airlock). Have the waste freely flow into the grey water, then out (with a breather in the grey water tank) should mean no air lock.

Reactions: Base23

DaveR

Mar 13, 2017
Gold Coast
For what it's worth, it will also stop the "slow" drainage issue (which is actually an airlock). Have the waste freely flow into the grey water, then out (with a breather in the grey water tank) should mean no air lock.

That was my unexpected result also, kitchen drains away better now.

Reactions: Macca_75 and Base23