16' Series Excited nearly Expanda owner

Travelsofar

Oct 19, 2015
Sydney
Yep did something similar. Drove in to get some work done on our 16.49.2 and drove out with a brand new 17.56.2.
We pick up the new van Wednesday next week. Very excited!
Have had fun entertaining ourselves on forums and online investigating new "stuff".
We are thinking of buying the Joolca Hot Tap hot water system.
We had a HWS in the Swan but it isn't feature of the new van. The Joolca seems like a good system and reviews seem great. Does anyone else have this system? What are your thoughts?
Thanks,
Ingrid

Reactions: bigcol

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
We pick up the new van Wednesday next week. Very excited!
Have had fun entertaining ourselves on forums and online investigating new "stuff".
We are thinking of buying the Joolca Hot Tap hot water system.
We had a HWS in the Swan but it isn't feature of the new van. The Joolca seems like a good system and reviews seem great. Does anyone else have this system? What are your thoughts?
Thanks,
Ingrid
We looked at something similar for our original van, a Penguin but eventually decided on a full HWS with an outside shower.
Did take up a cupboard space which there was not a lot of in the Penguin.
Do you intend to keep it as a completely portable HWS or have it permanently connected?
Will that mean an extra gas line to your sink cupboard?
Very glad we did a proper integrated HWS and did not regret it.
Our new Expanda 14.44-5 has ensuite so came with a proper hot water system to basin, shower and sink.

Travelsofar

Oct 19, 2015
Sydney
Our Swan OB had the HWS and outside shower. We only used the outside shower for rinsing off sand after the beach and the HWS for washing up. As we have bought the new van "off the floor" and it didn't have the HWS we have looked at other options.
It will be portable (though Joolca do have a bracket to fix to it the draw bar) and there are kits to be able to operate it from mains or battery power, mains water supply or via a pump in a bucket as well as connecting it to the gas bottle.
We didn't want to loose the storage space (I think a hangover from the Swan).

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I just looked at this closely and read reviews etc.

Will be interested to see how you like it as we could use one in our shed.

Any idea of water pressure needed? We have water tank with gravity fed supply to shed, access to gas but no pump.

Not trying to hijack your thread but you seem to have checked it out so thought you might know off the top of your head.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
A thought.

If you had something else on draw bar..a box or similar..could you mount the hot water unit behind that to protect it from stones etc. would still get dust and mud in it and that might affect its reliability.

Or carry one of those cube models and just pull it out when needed. It would travel ok under the table.

I'd worry about the dust and mud getting in it as the cover doesn't seem to be designed for the purpose you want.

And another thing on draw bar just adds tow ball weight.

Travelsofar

Oct 19, 2015
Sydney
I just looked at this closely and read reviews etc.

Will be interested to see how you like it as we could use one in our shed.

Any idea of water pressure needed? We have water tank with gravity fed supply to shed, access to gas but no pump.

Not trying to hijack your thread but you seem to have checked it out so thought you might know off the top of your head.

Not a problem Dobbie. I don't know about the pressure required however to make the water reach its 52 degree maximum before it cuts out you have to turn the water pressure turned right down. many of the review mention that they use in their shed or to wash horses (though don't say about their water source). someone mentioned that they use it with their mobile dog washing service.

What I liked the most is that the company (according to reviews both on the Joolca site and independently) are very quick to follow up any problems and support their product.
Here is the link to the site if anyone is interested:
http://www.joolca.com.au/

Travelsofar

Oct 19, 2015
Sydney
A thought.

If you had something else on draw bar..a box or similar..could you mount the hot water unit behind that to protect it from stones etc. would still get dust and mud in it and that might affect its reliability.

Or carry one of those cube models and just pull it out when needed. It would travel ok under the table.

I'd worry about the dust and mud getting in it as the cover doesn't seem to be designed for the purpose you want.

And another thing on draw bar just adds tow ball weight.

I don't like the idea of putting on the draw bar either and have the same thoughts as you about the cover. Also, not sure that the bouncing around on the draw bar could be too good for it.
I have read the reviews on the Companion Aqua Cube Logic and Digital as well as the Coleman one. I have still been most impressed by the Joolca one.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
And the Joolca operates on lpg whereas the Coleman needs those special little BOM canisters.....that's what grabbed my attention.

All I can suggest is that you consider the road muck and the vibration as a permanently plumbed lpg unit can be dangerous if it shakes loose or gets bogged up.

I can't recall if there are any other cube type hot water units that can be used on lpg...then you could use a gas bayonet from the van supply and disconnect for travel.

We travelled for years without an on board hw system by using the little gas stoves to boil water for cooking and washing up and had a 9litre sprayer which we pumped up and used for showering. Ok if you're not fussy or close to others but it works well...just use the little gas cooker to heat the water.

Other alternative is a bucket, warm water and a bilge pump attached to a shower.

It depends on how you want to use it.

Not trying to put you off but the safety aspect would concern me.

And thanks for the Joolca info. I think it will work for our shed.

Travelsofar

Oct 19, 2015
Sydney
And the Joolca operates on lpg whereas the Coleman needs those special little BOM canisters.....that's what grabbed my attention.

All I can suggest is that you consider the road muck and the vibration as a permanently plumbed lpg unit can be dangerous if it shakes loose or gets bogged up.

I can't recall if there are any other cube type hot water units that can be used on lpg...then you could use a gas bayonet from the van supply and disconnect for travel.

We travelled for years without an on board hw system by using the little gas stoves to boil water for cooking and washing up and had a 9litre sprayer which we pumped up and used for showering. Ok if you're not fussy or close to others but it works well...just use the little gas cooker to heat the water.

Other alternative is a bucket, warm water and a bilge pump attached to a shower.

It depends on how you want to use it.

Not trying to put you off but the safety aspect would concern me.

And thanks for the Joolca info. I think it will work for our shed.

I think we will go with the Joolca too. It can connect to the vans LPG gas bottle but we won't be permanently fixing it to the draw bar. Really don't want to be carrying a supply of little gas canisters. We think we will get the Joolca options that allow flexibility of use as far as power and water are concerned.

Will let you know how it works out. Great to find an Aussie made system.

Travelsofar

Oct 19, 2015
Sydney
When you can drag yourself away from the van @Travelsofar let us know how things went ;)

The Expanda is FANTASTIC. We love it. The handover was easy.

We had a few of the door latches changed on site that were a bit dodgy.

They forgot to have the sail track installed for the privacy screens so are having someone come out to our home to install them.
All in all we are thrilled to pieces. The only downside (if you can call it that) is that we head overseas on Saturday so have to look forward to the big setup weekend at the beginning of December.

The height of the benches is so good, the setup time fantastic, the wireless lighting . . . . so many aspects we love and very very different to the Swan OB.

Plus flowers, 2 x caps and 2 x stubby coolers . . .

Happy Expanda owners
:):clap2::cheer2:

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
The Expanda is FANTASTIC. We love it. The handover was easy.

We had a few of the door latches changed on site that were a bit dodgy.

They forgot to have the sail track installed for the privacy screens so are having someone come out to our home to install them.
All in all we are thrilled to pieces. The only downside (if you can call it that) is that we head overseas on Saturday so have to look forward to the big setup weekend at the beginning of December.

The height of the benches is so good, the setup time fantastic, the wireless lighting . . . . so many aspects we love and very very different to the Swan OB.

Plus flowers, 2 x caps and 2 x stubby coolers . . .

Happy Expanda owners
:):clap2::cheer2:
Great ! Sounds fantastic they get better every year ....... Now some pics ?:behindsofa:

Travelsofar

Oct 19, 2015
Sydney
Great ! Sounds fantastic they get better every year ....... Now some pics ?:behindsofa:
Trying to work out how to add a photo . . .
With the rain today it has been a challenge to take any outside photos.
photo.php

Reactions: mfexpanda

Travelsofar

Oct 19, 2015
Sydney
20151010_140124.jpg 20151010_140132.jpg20151010_140134.jpg
Dagree thanks for the link.

These are photos from the day we purchased the van. So wet on delivery day and the photographer was so busy being excited that she only took a couple of photos.
Still so thrilled we didn't have to wait for a build but still have everything we want and what it didn't have we can add (solar and 12 volt water pump).