Swan eletric brakes for a swan

fugs291

Apr 22, 2013
Western Sydney
Not having had eletric brakes before and needing to have them installed before picking up our swan what can people tell me I need to have installed. Very confused about hot wires etc I know the van has a twelve pin plug and my prado a seven pin plug. The van has solar etc on it so what should I be looking for or asking for.
Thanks

Flanders

Mar 13, 2013
Just North of Melbourne
i am assuming you mean an electric brake controller for your car? The swan should already have electric brakes and you need a brake controller fitted to your car. There are many different types,vi use the redarc remote head unit which you can read more about on their website. Tekonsha units are also popular. Also sounds like you will have to get a different trailer plugVon your car to match the swan vice-versa. If you are not sure an auto electrician may be your best help

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
You will need to get a 12 pin put on your car. depending on if you have a batter in the van, and assuming you have a fridge, 2 of the pins will need to be set up to go to the fridge direct from the battery and another should go from battery to aux for the battery. You would normally want to put on some kind of solenoid or device so that the fridge doesnt run your car battery down when ignition is off.
Brake control is not too hard. The auto elec will fit it in the cabin and run the wires as required. They are pretty routine for an auto elec. If it is all too confusing, I'm guessing your dealer will have a local guy who can do it while you go over the van. Might just cost a little more that way.

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
If you see the dealer they can organise it all for you. That's what I did. They know what controller you need. And a good auto electrician will also know. Keeps it all simple.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
your dealer on delivery should be able to get your wiring how you want it (so they told me) with 7pin on the van and separate ones for the fridge etc

go to who ever normaly services your car, and get them to fit the Tekshona (Prodigy if fully computers in the car, or the other one if it is not)
if not - some one like Deerings etc should be able to supply and fit.
even go to the 12 pin on the car if you want to.........

cheers

Reactions: Xpandafan