18' Series Electrical Wiring

JMS Project

Jun 14, 2015
Dayboro
Evening All....

Wondering if I could get some advice on the best option for Plugs/Wiring to the Tug ??

I believe all new Jaycos will come with 12 pin plug, unless specified other ? Not sure where I heard that...

I have ordered a new 18.58-1 and will need to let them know soon what I want. I have a dual battery system in my Tug, and Anderson plug to rear. Previously with my camper trailer, I just used 7 pin and anderson plug.

I have ordered 2 x 100 AH batteries, 150w solar, fridge is 185 Thetford, and I'm having an extra 12v point wired to the outside to run the Engel beer fridge.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.....

Steve

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Cheers.. What are the 3 Anderson plugs for ?
One for the battery charge, this allows me to plug my portable solar panels into either the van or the tug to charge batteries, the second one is for the fridge so I can disconnect it when stopped for a while (although it is protected by a relay in the circuit) and the third is for the ESC so it can be disconnected when on rough roads if necessary.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
If they supply a 12 pin from factory and you decide you want 7 pin + Anderson/s the dealer should change over for you on request... Caravanland did for me. 7 pin for normal requirements and one Anderson for fridge, battery trickle charge, breakaway battery charge and ESC. I have two Anderson's on Prado so can modify the van's plugs if/when required.

All the wires are there so all they need to do is change the plugs!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Nothing wrong with a 12 pin even if you don't use all the connectors as 7 pins still plug in and later an extra pin can be handy. You don't need 50 amp andersons for everything especially as they will charge like a wounded bull to fit them.

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hey @JMS Project we had a 12 Pin and Anderson plug fitted to the back of the tug, our power to the van battery currently uses the 12 Pin but only provides the trickle charge.

In the process of ordering a Redarc BCDC 1240 battery charger will connect it up with some 6B&S cable and provide a charging solution via the Anderson Plug for up to two batteries whilst traveling as the trickle charge it seems doesn't do much other than keep the fridge running.

ESC currently also running through the 12 Pin at this stage but as per the other comments may move this to a separate Anderson.

IMG_2327.JPG

Reactions: dagree

rodney

Apr 23, 2014
12 pin is std that's all we use now can get it changed later however it runs everything in the van fine
You could later put the fridge on an ando seen that or get a ando for solar then have a longer lead to plug in from car if you want the batteries charging that way have seen some batteries expand with two chargers on

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
If they supply a 12 pin from factory and you decide you want 7 pin + Anderson/s the dealer should change over for you on request... Caravanland did for me. 7 pin for normal requirements and one Anderson for fridge, battery trickle charge, breakaway battery charge and ESC.

All the wires are there so all they need to do is change the plugs!

Same here

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Hi folks,I have a question regarding battery charging for the new van. The Van comes with a Anderson plug, which I am told is wired directly to the batteries. I am assuming this is only really a trickle charge, and given voltage drop probably won't fully charge the batteries. My question is should I ask for a DC-DC charger to be installed in the van. I am assuming they aren't installing a BMS, so I expect the solar reg will be connected directly to the batteries, and the 240v charger will be connected directly also. How will a DC-DC charger interact with the other chargers?
My Basestation was supplied with the 12 pin despite asking for 7pin round and separate Anderson plug. The battery was wired via the Setec charger and not directly.
I swapped to a 7 pin round, grey Anderson for battery, ESC, and Breakaway charging plus a red Anderson for the fridge, with heavier duty 6 B&S cable.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Only thing we can contribute is that we stayed with Jayco supplied 12 pin plug as we already had 12 pin fitted to vehicle.

Only thing we had to do was get the auto electrician to wire it for ESC and Jayco sent us an email with the wiring diagram.

Fridge works fine on 12v etc etc so no problems at all....and it was easy.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Consistency of wiring doesn't seem high on their priority list. From what I've seen on our Work n Play the Jayco provided Anderson from the car runs directly to the batteries. Size of cable would be about 8B&S. I have a Redarc DC/DC in the tub for the 2nd battery and then a run of 6B&S to Anderson at rear for van battery and ESC is a separate feed from main battery as per ALKO's specs. ESC was run by Jayco to the 12 pin plug and I had to change it myself to an Anderson, no help from Dealer at handover. Have yet to work out Jayco birds nest connection points on van.

Reactions: dagree and Drover