16' Series Electric breaks melt

Grover

Jul 20, 2012
Ok got my jayco expanda 2012 sep I was coming down Macquarie pass well electric breaks weren't working.My van getting fixed at frankies auto which recently informed me that the breaks have melted due to goodness knows what the magnets the springs everything melted from extreme heat.could this be a fault from day one they says this could of been done from riding breaks which isn't the case only have done maybe 800 ks that's it.AS I'm a female not sure how to approach this costing is going to be 600 dollars

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
well, if you get a written statement from them, then go to the Jayco dealer you brought it from, and ask............
they are usually good with their warranty, so it cannot hurt to ask the question

they may want you to take it to them for inspection...........
dont do anything until you have statement and photos to take to Jayco

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
HMMM Macquarie Pass would be enough to melt anything if over used, Were they working prior to the pass? Silly question but was the handbrake off properly?
Possible short in the system that has applied the brakes more than normal but you'd more than likely feel them dragging if that were the case.
Ask them to check the bearings aren't to tight, these to can over heat in turn heating the brake drum causing brake failure.

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
We recently did a trip to Lithgow and back in the same day, Run down from Mount White would test any brakes as would the return run down from the Blue Mountains, only thing we had was a bit of brake dust on the rims, mind you they were nice and warm when we checked after arriving home, not that that helps you at this stage. I agree with the others get a written statement and photo's but it sounds like faulty brakes or brake components to me.

Dave

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
What size van you have? does it have a break away box fitted to the draw bar? If the cable was pulled by you or them inturn applying the brakes while just sitting there untill the battery went flat this may cause them to get hot????