Electrical Eberspächer D2 Diesel Heater installed in Starcraft 22.68-1 with pics

Eddii

Jun 28, 2017
Burua Central QLD 4680
Hi all,
I have just finished installing a diesel heater in our van.Hopefully this info might give some ideas for anyone who wants to install one.
I have located the unit under the L-shape dinette.
Outlet vent comes out roughly in the middle of the van. I had leftover ducting to run inlet on the other side (masters bed area).

Diesel Unit installation

IMG_4604.JPG

First was to cut a 125mm hole in the floor. I started with a jigsaw but due to limited space I finished the hole off using a jab saw and a Dremel.
I masked to top end so I could paint underneath the floor in black.

IMG_4583.JPG
IMG_4586.JPG

Assembly pics of the unit prior to mounting on the floor.
I tightened up all hose connections before feeding it in the hole due to limited space underneath.

IMG_4599.JPG
img_4601-jpg.60694
IMG_4602.JPG
IMG_4604.JPG

Here are some pics with the ducting installed

IMG_4606.JPG
IMG_4605.JPG
IMG_4607.JPG

Fuel tank installation

The kit came with a slimline 10L fuel tank, I found a perfect spot between the bumper bar and the wall. It seems like a factory fit with the right dimensions8-).
All hidden once installed and also protected by the spare wheel.
I made a simple bracket and bolted on the wheel carrier. Spacers were used for the top mounting bolt.

IMG_4612.JPG

IMG_4613.JPG
IMG_4614.JPG
IMG_4637.JPG
IMG_4639.JPG
IMG_4641.JPG

This pic shows the clearance

IMG_4642.JPG

The most time consuming part for me was routing the exhaust system. I had to snake it around suspension components and wiring. I made sure that it will not be in a way of suspension travel whist keeping it tucked in.
IMG_4670.JPG

This pic looks like the brake cable rests on the exhaust but it doesn't ;).

IMG_4669.JPG

This was the most time consuming part. I had to drill and tap the mounting bracket for this muffler:Cry:.

IMG_4668.JPG

More drill and tap at the exhaust tip:Cry:

Fuel Pump installation

Fuel pump was mounted below the toilet section of the van. The kit came with 6 metres of high pressure pipe (pump to unit) and 2 metres of low pressure pipe (tank to pump) which was conveniently maximum recommended lengths. I didn't have to use the full length for this install.
Fuel pump needs to be installed with a slight angle.

IMG_E4666.JPG
IMG_E4667.JPG

Fuel pick up point is from bottom of the tank

IMG_4633.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4601.JPG
    IMG_4601.JPG
    287.3 KB · Views: 2,882
  • IMG_4607.JPG
    IMG_4607.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 537

Smash

Apr 23, 2013
Perth WA
I take it you have an inlet fuel filter and also don’t for get to put a plastic bag on inlet pipe and exhaust pipe when travelling on dirt roads if not dust goes In inlet and exhaust chamber which causes problems.

Eddii

Jun 28, 2017
Burua Central QLD 4680
Thanks @Bluey and @Smash I’ll look into a protection plug of some sort for the inlet pipe. As with the fuel filter, it did come with a built in filter incorporated in the fitting. Should I still get another one?

Macropod

Sep 5, 2013
Cordeaux Heights, NSW
Just a suggestion - you might want to mount the fuel pump on a rubber strap - not directly on the floor strut. even though the mount is rubber it does transmit the tick tick tick through the chassis. Right angle outlets from the pump offset 180 degrees and make sure that none of the fuel pipe touches any part of the chassis. Took me three goes to sort out the ticking but finally pretty much eliminated it.

Eddii

Jun 28, 2017
Burua Central QLD 4680
Just a suggestion - you might want to mount the fuel pump on a rubber strap - not directly on the floor strut. even though the mount is rubber it does transmit the tick tick tick through the chassis. Right angle outlets from the pump offset 180 degrees and make sure that none of the fuel pipe touches any part of the chassis. Took me three goes to sort out the ticking but finally pretty much eliminated it.
You’re right about the ticking noise. Luckily I’ve mounted it below the toilet so that door is closed every night. Sounds like I haven’t turned off the tap properly :) We couldn’t here it from our bed but the kids can. The first night we used it the kids couldn’t sleep well. But they got used to it after the second night. I’ll address this when we come back from holidays. Thanks