Dual Axle Expanda Outback

allthedeans

Jul 24, 2011
Ok

Im just thinking out loud. How have any of you owners go with the dual axle outback when travelling offroad? To what extreme offroad have you taken it and how did it handle??? Whats good and bad about it???

I know that they can be more difficult to turn and park, weigh more than a single axle, and not to mention the increased cost of wear and tear and increased fuel consumtion. But the extra payload may come in handy for me.

Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Ok

Im just thinking out loud. How have any of you owners go with the dual axle outback when travelling offroad? To what extreme offroad have you taken it and how did it handle??? Whats good and bad about it???

I know that they can be more difficult to turn and park, weigh more than a single axle, and not to mention the increased cost of wear and tear and increased fuel consumtion. But the extra payload may come in handy for me.

Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated.

Hi having had the 16:49-3 and looking at another one and also the 4 wheel 17.56-2. I am also attracted by the payload capacity. I dont consider 4 wheelers that much harder to maneuver unless there unhitched but then 16:49 was pretty unmaneuvorable even on good flat cement unhitched as well.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Matty4 off this forum took his tandem to some remote places of Australia he may be able to help you out with your questions

I guess like anything every option has its pros and cons I was happy with how our single axle 16footer handled our most recent trip and it serves us well

Let us know what you decide. :pop2:

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Thanks Cruza Driver,
yes last year I took, along with 2 others, our Expandas to some reasonably remote and hard to get to places. All 3 of us had Expandas, 2 x 17.56-2's and 1 x 16.49-3.
The most rugged of these would have been up to Honeymoon Bay, just past Kalumburu, in the northern Kimberley.
See this post below as it highlights and mentions some of the places we went to (photos included).
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/88-G-day-all...

Cheers,
Matty

allthedeans

Jul 24, 2011
Thanks Matty

I already took a look at your post. I enjoyed reading it although would have love to see more pics. :p I loved the river crossing, it was a great shot. Thanks for putting it up, it helps us noobies to decide what is right for us. I might just pop down to the local rep this afternoon. Just to chat and look of course.