Drovers 14.44.3

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Back in the land of Internet again and I find an email from Caravans Plus in reply to mine informing them that while the awning packaging said 1 Camel fade awning it was actually Grey they refunded me some $$$$ and offered me wholesale, so how good is that !!!!!!!!!!

Good service from this mob and the gear is good and known brands so check em out online......................

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Good to her that the hail didn't do to much damage @Drover as I keep saying to my missus unfortunately its not a matter of if but when for us and our Pajero, we've been through one hail storm in the C/T and the Pajero sustained three or four minor dints we were lucky as we were to busy trying to hold the camper trailer down to worry about the car.

So I've been thinking that as we are always out and about in storm season here in the south east how am I going to hail proof the car? I am thinking two cheapish double air mattresses and a tarp to suit. Whilst this wont stop the big stuff it will help and the mattresses, tarp and a 12v pump wont take up much room.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Mate we were lucky we were in Coffs when the hail hit at Red Rock, I think by the time youv'e spotted the hail, got off the road, bang your hit.................but I like the idea..........the old Jeep copped a beating a couple of years ago just glad we missed it with the Colorado. Maybe a tinny on the roof ???????

Reactions: bigcol

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Your right mate if you don't know its coming then its to late but when we are set up and we know there are storms about one of us tends to watch the BOM radar, so if we had a bit of for warning I reckon it could just work or at least help to minimise the damage.

Ill have to get onto Evil Bay and grab a couple of cheap mattresses:D.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just set up camp and noticed the door on the van has about 6 small dents in it from that hail storm, just have to get the light right, youv'e got me thinking and the quilt off the bed might be just the shot to cover the dual cab ute, if the alloy shed on the back gets dented then the rest of it is history.

Reactions: mfexpanda

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Now back home and the upgrades have begun, ( We do upgrades now ) I have finally finished the plumbing work ,started ages ago when I moved the pump to underneath, now the mains supply doesn't run thru the cupboard to get back outside under the floor.
It's all been moved to just in front of the R/H stab leg so no chance of flooding inside from it now and I can hook up without having to stuff around with that stupid door.
Around 24 possible flooding points have now been reduced to 2 at the sink and 4 for the shower/HWS not to mention more cupboard space.

If the plastic fitting isn't durable enough it will be easy to fit a brass one and I have a garden hose end which I have filled in with silastic to use as a blanking cap to keep out damn wasp and things. Made an alloy bracket which the John Guest fitting clamps onto allowing the tap fitting to be changed if needed.
tap03.jpg

Made an interesting discovery though, the hose connector fitting (the white bit) has a non return valve fitted so it was what caused water to come out when using the pump last year and I fitted a Guest non return inline to fix it, thinking my PR valve was faulty. I tried to fix it but to no avail the O ring kept jamming things so popped it out, the John Guest fitting is doing the job anyway. It may also be the cause of a pressure restriction problem that some may have .

tap01.jpg tap04.jpg with the NR valve removed.

tap02.jpg The O ring kept popping out.

It pays to have a few John Guest fittings, hose pipe and hose collars in your spares box for those just in case times, they don't cost very much and can save a holiday.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
We headed off in the Tardis 3rd week of August, we may need a bigger van the 14.44.3 is getting a bit tight................we will finally get out into our own house soon, been camped in the paddock for a week and next weekend the daughters tribe move into their new joint, oh joy, oh joy, 3 months plus is a long time in a little box...........Actually it's been pretty good but just need a bit more leg room and a 44.5 would have been better for sure.
Only had it for a bit over 2 yrs and it's clocked up around the 60,000k to date thru snow, , dirt roads and grain trucks, she's a sturdy beast for sure.

Last edited:

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
Now back home and the upgrades have begun, ( We do upgrades now ) I have finally finished the plumbing work ,started ages ago when I moved the pump to underneath, now the mains supply doesn't run thru the cupboard to get back outside under the floor.
It's all been moved to just in front of the R/H stab leg so no chance of flooding inside from it now and I can hook up without having to stuff around with that stupid door.
Around 24 possible flooding points have now been reduced to 2 at the sink and 4 for the shower/HWS not to mention more cupboard space.

If the plastic fitting isn't durable enough it will be easy to fit a brass one and I have a garden hose end which I have filled in with silastic to use as a blanking cap to keep out damn wasp and things. Made an alloy bracket which the John Guest fitting clamps onto allowing the tap fitting to be changed if needed.
View attachment 37290

Made an interesting discovery though, the hose connector fitting (the white bit) has a non return valve fitted so it was what caused water to come out when using the pump last year and I fitted a Guest non return inline to fix it, thinking my PR valve was faulty. I tried to fix it but to no avail the O ring kept jamming things so popped it out, the John Guest fitting is doing the job anyway. It may also be the cause of a pressure restriction problem that some may have .

View attachment 37291 View attachment 37292 with the NR valve removed.

View attachment 37293 The O ring kept popping out.

It pays to have a few John Guest fittings, hose pipe and hose collars in your spares box for those just in case times, they don't cost very much and can save a holiday.

Hi @Drover, just found this post and I'm hoping it may solve a problem I am having with my newly acquired 2007 Jayco Sterling (traded the Millard for the Jayco but that's another post and I'd better include some pics). My problem is that when I turn on the 12v pump, it continues to run and pump a small amount of water out of the mains connection. As you've described, the mains line runs internally behind panels and appears underneath the van. I thought there would be a NRV in the line but exactly where I could not figure out.
I like the idea of relocating the connection point to reduce the risk of flooding. Also easier access than trying to fiddle with the plastic door. I still have to work out how to access the pump - I can hear it but it seems to be hidden behind panels/cupboards in the front kitchen.

Reactions: G Daddy

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well the white hose connection for the mains has the NRV inside it but to check your pump hook a hose up to your mains inlet and the other end to your external tap on drawbar, this just blocks the line, then turn on your sink tap, the pump should run to pressurize the lines then stop, if it doesn't stop then you may have a leak elsewhere or the pressure switch on pump needs adjusting but I would say the NRV valve is causing your pump to run on.
You can pick up a George Guest NRV valve for about $8 so I would pop the dodgy one out of the inlet and put the Guest one in the line near it and you should be right....

Middo

Apr 25, 2014
Brisbane
Hi @Drover, just found this post and I'm hoping it may solve a problem I am having with my newly acquired 2007 Jayco Sterling (traded the Millard for the Jayco but that's another post and I'd better include some pics). My problem is that when I turn on the 12v pump, it continues to run and pump a small amount of water out of the mains connection. As you've described, the mains line runs internally behind panels and appears underneath the van. I thought there would be a NRV in the line but exactly where I could not figure out.
I like the idea of relocating the connection point to reduce the risk of flooding. Also easier access than trying to fiddle with the plastic door. I still have to work out how to access the pump - I can hear it but it seems to be hidden behind panels/cupboards in the front kitchen.
My pump would not turn off and was pumping water out the mains inlet. Just had it serviced and we were heading off same day. Took it back on the way out and had it fixed in 10 minutes. The non return valve was just behind the the water connection under the seat.

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
Thanks for the advice @Drover . Hooked up a hose and the pump stopped. Removed a side panel in one of the cupboards and found the pump and the mains water line with what I believe will be a NRV. Looks a little different to the one you had in your pic.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have a pic in the thread somewhere of the Guest NRV valve, also later models may ?? have it incorporated into the Pressure Valve but I'm not sure, the white coupling in the pic is the connector where your mains hose plugs in, the NRV should be well clear of the pump. Post a pic if in doubt.

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
@Drover, with your mains water connector mod, where did you get the Guest fitting that is attached to the bracket? I've been looking on eBay but could not find one that looked like you could screw the hose connector into. I did however find a John Guest in-line NRV for around $23. You mentioned you got one for about $8. Was that off eBay?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Now in our house again after 3 months living and travelling in The Tardis , tomorrow it gets a big clean out and a big time going over, 12,000km and all went well, just the odd check of hangars, U bolts and wheel nuts as well as a couple of grease gun jobs on the springs and had to fix the odd drawer latch so not bad I suppose, of course the hail storm early in the trip required a new hatch and vent not to mention an awning to be replaced but it's still looking good.
But we are starting to look for a new rig, bed is a pain to make and really would like an ensuite thats seperate and a bit more leg room which means moving away from an Expanda maybe even away from Jayco, a Coromal 612 is looking good, weight, price and fittings just seem good........................some nice Starcraft around but the finish for the price is poor, stickers over screw holes is rubbish but early days.
Still a few trips left in the Tardis.