Exterior Dripping / Leaking main pressure connection

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
As per the constant flow of posts that refer to the ever leaking mains pressure hose leaks, I have solved ours. (@davemc you may be interested in this if yours still drips)

Its not the mains connection at all. Thats fine. The mains pressure is forcing its way backwards through the system and trickle filling the water tanks, and the constant dripping / leaking from the filler hatch is actually coming from the tank filler .... and not the mains connection.
20150122_073837.jpg

If the flick my (recently discovered) water tank inline selector valve, the flow leakage changes from one tank filler to the other, although the selector flicked to the front tank produces worse leaking than the rear.

With the rubber covers on the tank fillers its not obvious that its not the hose connection. We had the water leaking out of the filler hole past the rubber covers, most leaking out onto the ground but a small trickle running along under that filler insert and following it inside the van puddling under the couch

Last edited:

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Interesting find @Crusty181. I'm fairly sure mine is coming from the mains connection, but I'll certainly look a bit closer next time its all hooked up to see if its the same issue you have identified.

I would think that if its trickling into the tanks, they would gradually fill up. We were connected for quite a few days on our last trip and the tank levels didnt change ??

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Good find, faulty non return valve somewhere. Mine was dripping from the usual spot and my tanks were empty. Always something to do!

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
The plumbing quality has a lot to be desired I've had quite a few issues, I replaced the o ring on mine to thicker one and that stopped mine from dripping. Did the usual checks yesterday when hitching up to take off and found no pressure off the pump or mains this time ....again. So I removed the pressure regulator and all is good once more , no biggie this time as we won't be connecting to mains , but will now make up some sort of adaptor to fit in line in the hose for when we do. Other issues were faulty tempering valve , pump plumbed incorrectly so as tempering valve couldn't work correctly when on tanks, and a non return valve was in the wrong place so warm water could back flow from HWS, have also added circlips to all the John guest fittings

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day @Crusty181, I was just starting to type something about your tank overflow when I read your new post. As said above, there must be a leaking non-return valve or something similar to allow the amount of water I saw yesterday to flow out of the filler, hot weather would not cause that.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
The plumbing quality has a lot to be desired I've had quite a few issues, I replaced the o ring on mine to thicker one and that stopped mine from dripping. Did the usual checks yesterday when hitching up to take off and found no pressure off the pump or mains this time ....again. So I removed the pressure regulator and all is good once more , no biggie this time as we won't be connecting to mains , but will now make up some sort of adaptor to fit in line in the hose for when we do. Other issues were faulty tempering valve , pump plumbed incorrectly so as tempering valve couldn't work correctly when on tanks, and a non return valve was in the wrong place so warm water could back flow from HWS, have also added circlips to all the John guest fittings

Apart form that, its all good :)

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
G'day @Crusty181, I was just starting to type something about your tank overflow when I read your new post. As said above, there must be a leaking non-return valve or something similar to allow the amount of water I saw yesterday to flow out of the filler, hot weather would not cause that.
Spot on @chartrock. With the benefit of watching it after you left, your right it was way to much for heat build up.

More importantly, my precious Melb tank water has now been poisoned by the local stuff ..... :boink:

And to compound that, @Drover wasnt insistant enough that I had a tank isolation tap ..... and the poisons got both tanks now. Ill blame @Drover for that one.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That would be right, blame me :faint:......................but I did tell you so, :playful: now I will have to dig out a he said bit to show that you didn't really look.....Victorians:sleeping:, what can you do...............................Gold Coast water is perfect for, thinking,thinking,:shocked:thinking....washing cars ????
So you should have came past " The Drovers Lair " :peep: and got a complete rebuild and tune up done on your rig.:very_drunk:
I would say the non return valve at the pump is faulty and allowing mains to flow to tank and that would be why your pump will run with mains connected probably, since I'm under my rig working on stuff ATM I will have a good squiz and update later tonight.:thumb:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Had a look under mine while cutting brackets off and the only way the mains can go to the tanks is via the water pump, didn't see any non return valve so I assume the pump has something, was wondering if the pressure cut off on the pump is set too low then that may allow mains pressure to force it's way thru and flow to tanks and may explain why the pump kicks in with mains on. The pump cut off can be manually adjusted by a screw on the rear of the unit. Someone will surely chime in as they must have played with their pump.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Had a look under mine while cutting brackets off and the only way the mains can go to the tanks is via the water pump, didn't see any non return valve so I assume the pump has something, was wondering if the pressure cut off on the pump is set too low then that may allow mains pressure to force it's way thru and flow to tanks and may explain why the pump kicks in with mains on. The pump cut off can be manually adjusted by a screw on the rear of the unit. Someone will surely chime in as they must have played with their pump.
Would that mean the pump has to push against the mains pressure ???