Electrical Drifter Control Panel - Complete Install

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
Brisbane - Northside (North Lakes)
Hey BJ

Cannot answer your question directly as i still have my inverter to connect up. But the shunt is 100A / 100MV, so i am sure someone could do the conversion. Last time i tried i got it wrong.

I hope this helps.
Tim

Gadgets 21.63.1

aka - adam 18.57.9
Jun 29, 2013
mornington peninsula victoria
www.bifolds.co
the sensors for the drifter panel are the same used in the other water level indicators. here is a picture of them fitted to my toilet tank.
toilet mod.jpg
audio drifter.jpg
audio drifter.jpg

Gadgets 21.63.1

aka - adam 18.57.9
Jun 29, 2013
www.bifolds.co
fusion audio systems. we have 3 seperate zones in our van for entertainment. each audio system is connected directly to each tv and flush mounted speakers around the van.
1) front foxtel/media system 32" 3d lcd screen + roof mount speakers + subwoofer.
2) rear foxtel/media system 24" lcd screen + roof mounted speakers,
3) outside foxtel/media system 32" 3d lcd tv + wall mounted speaker system.

each media system is connected via network back to 4 tb hard disk drives for music/video entertainment.

Gadgets 21.63.1

aka - adam 18.57.9
Jun 29, 2013
www.bifolds.co
Hi.

does anyone know what amperage the shunt can handle.
Google has not been my friend in finding this out.
i have a 1000w inverter what we will be connecting up and trying to figure out if I can run it through the shunt or not.
we will probably never even use full power, but just want to make sure that wont damage it if we do.

BJ
100 amp shunt can handle 100 amps - metered....it maybe able to handle more, i run a 2000 watt inverter through the drifter 100 amp shunt, it draws around 150 amps, with no issues at all. however the panel reads a max of 100 amps.

1000 watts of power at 240 volts is just under 100 amps at 12 volts if the inverter is 100% effiecent. which they are not.

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
HAHAHAHA So Gadgets I take it Serenity is not something you head away for :)

How big an inverter do you need to run the Microwave ? and how long can you run it through an inverta off a 100amh battery I would think not very long?

Reactions: Ren77

Gadgets 21.63.1

aka - adam 18.57.9
Jun 29, 2013
www.bifolds.co
when we go away, its normally for at least 6 weeks or more. 3 kids and bored at night - already played all the board games. tv is a wind down from the days events. we use a coffee machine that draws 1400 watts. it runs for around 3 mins. microwaves on defrost do not run at full power all the time. on full heat would not normally run for more than 5 mins in one hit. a 100 amp hour battery holds around 80 usable amps. so using it for 5 mins takes around 7 amps out of the battery's capacity. if you have solar, then a duel panel 100+ watt system will put this back in around 1-2 hours in the sun. i have 650 watts of panels on the roof so i can be a bit more loose when it comes to power usage. adding more batteries is a short time solution, as you still need to charge them once flat - it just delays that "flat" time. and then you need more power to charge them. single battery and more panels is a better way of doing things and saves weight if you use the correct panels. i run 8 panels with a total weight of 10 kg in total on the roof, another battery is around 40 kg by the time you add boxes, cables and connectors.

Reactions: Bmhdg76

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
Interesting info
I Had 2 85 watt panels and two 1oo amp batteries in the camper and also had a 25 c-tek battery charger which was great . I also had a voltage regulator under the bonnet which use to throw back up to 8amps to the batteries when driving ( depending on the state of the car batteries.

I wouldn't mind having a small coffee machine maybe one of those pod ones for the van as I cant stand instant coffee! How do you keep the panels so light ? what brand? My 2 85watt panels weighed more than that!
I have a 120watt panel on the van already but will need another for sure? well I guess difference is now our fridge runs on gas not 12V which saves a lot but then again upright fridges waste a lot of space compared to the box type. I have a bushmans in the car as a drink fridge but can see myself getting another Looked today at the Primus? I liked the split lids and seemed a good product cheaper than the engels and better built than the waeco I think? But havnt heard much about them.

So how do i work out what power inverter I will need to run a small pod coffee machine and 20" LED tv as I can get away without the microwave in fact it will probably be removed when I get home and I will dedicate that space to something else. Would have been a great space for all the panels and electronics Which i am not really happy where it has all been fitted! It should all be together in one spot is my opinion. I have the Voltage regulator next to the stove the tank meter by the couch and not sure where the other panel is probably at the base of the couch where feet will be kick it? May have to order some replacement panels and redo it all ?

The dealer is going to fit an anderson plug on the front and change the 12 pin pug to the 7 pin I have on the car for me.

What amps will the SETEC put back in ? Its a brand new outback but not sure which SETEC it is yet. I have a feeling a new battery charger will be fitted as well. probably go the C-tec 25amp again but will check it all on the shake down trip back to Perth from Griffith. I think one more 120 watt panel would be enough?

When driving how does recharge work normally with the solar on the roof? As you are sending power back from the car and theres also power coming in from the roof? Does the voltage regulator chose one or does a combination of both recharge the battery?

Gadgets 21.63.1

aka - adam 18.57.9
Jun 29, 2013
www.bifolds.co
many questions.. let me know if i have missed anything.

panels are 1.5 kg each, all on the roof, they are slimline flexable panels. a little more expensive but worth every cent for weight saving. pictures will be posted in a tick.

the car and the solar charger will charge the battery at the same time. so you will get charge into the battery from the sun and the car while driving.

we use the pod coffee machine, no issues at all.

i have a autochangeover relay that disconnects all power from the mains power when the lead is not plugged in, then it connects most of the internal power points and all the external directly to the inverter. so i dont have to push any buttons or run leads everywhere when running off inverter. infact i can be watching tv and pull the plug from the caravan and it changes over to inverter without interuption to any powered device.

my tv draws between 10 and 100 watts - depending on the backlight level being set on the tv. so more than enough power to run everything i need.

my inverter is hidden away with a remote control panel - which i will post for you in a minute.

the setec 35 which i have will throw around 25 amps into the battery and the smaller one around 15 amps. they call them 25 and 35 - as the remaining 10 amps is reserved for items like - lighting and van required power.

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
Awesome A bit uncanny though hahahah

Is that a standard drawbar or extended? That is an awesome setup You probably have a thread somewhere on it I will check. The tag says it draws 1amp hr? do you think it works out like that over one hr? I doubt it My waeco drew about the same well varied sometimes it would only pull around 3.7 But I was impressed that the freezer stays shut when everyones in and out of the fridge. Does the fridge section freeze well as well the guy in the shop didnt seem to know a lot!

Gadgets 21.63.1

aka - adam 18.57.9
Jun 29, 2013
www.bifolds.co
it is extended drawbar, however the last van did not have extended drawbar it had the same box on it.

1 amp per hour, depends whats in there and the heat of the day. you can choose seperately what side does what and its own temp, they are seperate to each other. check my last reply for detailed info.

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
Very Nice setup
Will pester you a bit when I have my van home after the shake down trip and I know a bit more about it.

The charger seems fine though.

How did you stick the panels down? And I do see a gap back there maybe could squeeze one more on :)