Interior Drawer Latches - WARNING

RickB

Jul 22, 2017
Vic
Hi All,
If you have the following type of latch on your cupboard draws then read on.

Latch Type.png

We recently went for a trip to Texas QLD and along the way stopped for a cup of tea.
My wife tried to open the top draw to get a tea spoon but the draw would not open when the latch was lifted.
Being the top drawer the only way to get it open was to pull the front off the drawer.

Broken Draw.JPG

This allowed me to remove the two outer screws holding the latch to the draw front where I found that the pin which operates the latch had vibrated loose and completely come out!

Latch Pin.JPG

I then undid all of the latches in the van and found that ALL of them were loose and over time could fail also.

All Latches.JPG

To fix the problem I bought some Loctite "Super Screw Lock", placed a dab on the thread of each pin and then screwed it back into the latch.

Locktite.JPG

Now back to repairing the drawer front....

Cheers,

Rick.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My mate's Discovery has the same latches he found the threaded bit would break off, Jayco replaced them all with a later version, his rig is about 12 mths old..

The escapist

Nov 9, 2016
Sydney
Nice work Rick
Should be a bottle of Loctite supplied with every new Jayco !

Totally agree. Their lack of use of nylock nuts or spring washers leaves a lot to be desired...

Just on the weekend I had to loctite the bed end locks as the nuts would constantly come loose!

I’ve also had a drawer handle fail in the same way. Might look at loctite for the others as well.

RickB

Jul 22, 2017
Vic
Part 2 - ReAssembly

After the cure time for the Loctite I went to reinstall the latches but I noticed that Jayco had used sheet metal screws when the latches have a fine thread!
I went to my local Bolt shop and picked up a pack of M4 x 16mm long machine screws for $14. If you reuse the screws provided they don't have much grip, can easily be stripped and may work loose which would not make for a good holiday.

Screws.JPG