18' Series Drawbar discolouration

Brownie

Feb 2, 2015
Hi- purchased a 2012 last year and noticed the drawbar was blotchy black and silver. Apparently the van only went down a dirt track or two. Appears really grubby. Hit it with some straight truckwash done very little. Have been told its a form of oxidization from another metal nearby(perhaps gas bottle frame?)
Got me stuffed. Not life threatening....just looks shthouse!
Any pointers into cleanup ect without painting would be appreciated

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Having made a few modifications to my drawbar on the new van I find that silver zinc top coat very good at keeping the new gal look. I even notice Jayco use it as a touch up?

Reactions: Brownie

Brownie

Feb 2, 2015

Brownie

Feb 2, 2015
To clean galvanizing, get a product from Supercheap

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/on...Cleaner-1-Litre.aspx?pid=1747#Recommendations

Yes it for aluminum but works a treat on gal. Its basically a mild acid mix. I use it on my boat trailer when ever I feel like giving it a birthday. I have a fabrication shop and its a little trade trick we use.
@AndrewC
Mate I can not believe how well this stuff worked! Amazing.
2015-09-20 12.35.57.jpg
You saved me alot of work. Thankyou

Brownie

Feb 2, 2015
Followed directions on bottle worked instantly. The tougher bits I just went about 3 to 1 and hosed straight off. Worked ok on checker sides but didnt want to damage them as it is only thin crap...couldnt get water stains off checker though

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
Don't think I will use it, all you are doing is removing the galvinising so it will start to rust sooner. Sorry I don't like it, but what's wrong with a bit of discolouration, shows you have been somewhere

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
Been using it on boat trailers for years and no breakdown of gal yet. Surely if it handles the elements of the ocean, it can't be bad for a caravan on the road? Let's not forget galvanizing is a molten mix and is thick enough to fill holes and threads when things are dipped. Watered down acid mix will take a very long time to have any substantial effect on the protective coating. Each to their own opinion but showing where you have been does not help your resale :)

Reactions: Delano

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
When we drive down a muddy track with protruding trees, the resale value doesn't enter into the discussion, we just do it because that's where we want to go :)

Brownie

Feb 2, 2015
One thing I did notice all alomg and more so under the darker bits it looked like it was starting to bubble a bit...
Hoping its not rust but makes sense to as why the discolouration. If so seems odd that a van only 3 years old is starting to rust.