Draw bar storage boxs

Gocats

Feb 16, 2016
Colac
Hi,
Has anyone have or have had fitted a storage box fitted to the drawbar of their Starcraft, ours is a 2015 20ft van, pics would be great.

Mark

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
Hi all, hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0191.JPG
    IMG_0191.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 578
  • IMG_0209.JPG
    IMG_0209.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 615
  • IMG_0211.JPG
    IMG_0211.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 604

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
Here is mine. It has 3 separate compartments.
On the left I store all the Annex, Tarps, ground mats, storm covers, etc
Middle are the two main gas bottles plus all a 4kg gas bottle for weber. All the hoses and electrical cables are in here as well.
Right stores the weber, wheel chocks, tool kit, etc.

The little door on the front allows me to swap over gas bottles while the beds are down.

Got it custom made by DS Custom Toolboxes in Campbellfield http://dscustomtoolboxes.com.au/

Saves so much room in the van now - its awesome.

IMG_2039.JPG IMG_2047.JPG IMG_2048.JPG IMG_2051.JPG

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
@Duncanblake36 ...looks like a useful toolbox.

A question, though, what has it done to the ball weight?

I'd guess it's added to it by quite a bit, when it's full. Just something for those considering a large toolbox to be wary of.

(We've had one made for our new van as well and it added considerably to the ball weight....not any more than anticipated and we're well within our limits but you need to be careful)

Dandy

Jan 18, 2014
Here is mine. It has 3 separate compartments.
On the left I store all the Annex, Tarps, ground mats, storm covers, etc
Middle are the two main gas bottles plus all a 4kg gas bottle for weber. All the hoses and electrical cables are in here as well.
Right stores the weber, wheel chocks, tool kit, etc.

The little door on the front allows me to swap over gas bottles while the beds are down.

Got it custom made by DS Custom Toolboxes in Campbellfield http://dscustomtoolboxes.com.au/

Saves so much room in the van now - its awesome.

View attachment 48479 View attachment 48480 View attachment 48481 View attachment 48482

Looks good.. Did you start with an extended drawbar? How close does the back of the car get to the corner of the box when you turn ? What is your spare tyre solution?

Reactions: Duncanblake36

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
Looks good.. Did you start with an extended drawbar? How close does the back of the car get to the corner of the box when you turn ? What is your spare tyre solution?

I can do full tight circle without problem. Unless I really jack knife it in reverse won't touch the back. Honestly - I did a cardboard cutting and tested it before placing the order as that was one of my concerns as well.

Not sure if it's an extended drawbar as picked it up 2nd hand but there was plenty of space to put it on there so I'm guessing yes.

The Gas bottles are inside the box but it's got a hole in the bottom so it won't explode if there are any leaks. I put them in here as one of the guys down the road from us got one of his bottles stolen off the front of his van. They ripped it off and broke the copper pipe.

Mine sits out the front of our house at the moment so everything is locked up (as best it can be).

Reactions: Dandy and bigcol

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
@Duncanblake36 ...looks like a useful toolbox.

A question, though, what has it done to the ball weight?

I'd guess it's added to it by quite a bit, when it's full. Just something for those considering a large toolbox to be wary of.

(We've had one made for our new van as well and it added considerably to the ball weight....not any more than anticipated and we're well within our limits but you need to be careful)

Honestly have no idea but load the van more to the back now as to even the weight out a but.

The stuff inside it is just the big bulking stuff that doesn't weigh that much but takes up a heap of room.

The hilux has upgraded suspension but it still handles fine. We went from Melbourne to Yarrawonga a few weeks back and it travelled great. If I can find someone who has one I'll test the weight on the drawbar especially with full water tanks (haven't done that yet with the toolbox on).

Does anyone know how much weight is on the drawbar normally?

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I'm guessing you've added about 30 to the ball weight.....

Your compliance plate will give you the min and max weight for the Jayco.....then that gets taken off the payload allowance for the car.

(Ours added 24 to the ball weight....compliance plate minimum was 170 so, with all stuff loaded, water, toolbox stoneguard ....it came in at 202)

Don't know if that helps but it's certainly a consideration.....an inherent trap when adding a big heavy toolbox.

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
May have to invest in one of those $50 eBay special tow ball weigh measure things to find out how much weight there is on the towball.

I have a haymond reese heavy duty tow ball kit fitted so may have to do some digging around on the internet to find some more info.

Reactions: bigcol

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
I use http://netweigh.com.au/ (Public Weigh bridges). You need to go over twice (the second time is heaps cheaper if done within 24 hours - I drive around within 5 mins).

1st weigh is hitched, second is unhitched. I have individual car axle weights and hitched weights. It may vary each trip, however it should be fairly close.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
May have to invest in one of those $50 eBay special tow ball weigh measure things to find out how much weight there is on the towball.

I have a haymond reese heavy duty tow ball kit fitted so may have to do some digging around on the internet to find some more info.

They're not as accurate as they could be but are useful if used to check with different scenarios.

We've had one for years and know it's about 7kgs over...we had ours measured accurately first, then with the cheaper tow ball scales at home...so it's now used every time we pack the van and if configuration changes....and it's interesting to see the variation.

Have fun with it!

Luke1

May 29, 2017
Coogee WA
Hi all, hope this helps.
Hi, I'm new to this forum and just looking for some advice on a box to fit to my Expanda, would you have dimensions or drawings for your box as this is what I'm looking for. Any other advice would be appreciated