18' Series Dometic Fridge Vent (be aware)

Tuppy

Oct 22, 2016
Adelaide
If you need a picture, just say. The van is out front for a bit longer before it goes off to storage.
A picture would be good mate...it'll make my job easier. I thought the water would have been coming in vertically through the vent. I couldn't imagine that the sole cause of the problem was water running down the side of the van. Glad you guys worked it out.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
IMG_9135.JPG

As you can see, the channel is glued n screwed above the grill. The water would run in at the very top right as the awning from the slide out collects a lot more than what you think. Haven't seen it on a 20-64, but then I only look at ones I see in our travels. Jayco knows its a leaking point, as our sales guy was surprised it didn't come with it. It seems the "out of sight, out of mind" mentality gets used, and I guess most people fix it up them selves rather than complain. I just complained. Worked for me.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
View attachment 45723

As you can see, the channel is glued n screwed above the grill. The water would run in at the very top right as the awning from the slide out collects a lot more than what you think. Haven't seen it on a 20-64, but then I only look at ones I see in our travels. Jayco knows its a leaking point, as our sales guy was surprised it didn't come with it. It seems the "out of sight, out of mind" mentality gets used, and I guess most people fix it up them selves rather than complain. I just complained. Worked for me.

Looks like I need to find some of that channel somewhere, I'll not only put it above the fridge vent but also the toilet cassette door which had water flowing into the bathroom on our last wet trip.

Reactions: Smirke and bigcol

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
KB iphone5 190.jpg
This is my more permanent fix. The ply was replaced under warranty and I screwed in a piece of aluminium angle then sealed along the front edge with white sika....no more leaks!

Reactions: bigcol

RickB

Jul 22, 2017
Vic
Does any one know if this style may also be a problem?
This photo is from a 20.62 OB delivered yesterday!

Thanks,

RickB

Attachments

• Fridge vent.jpg
    Fridge vent.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 217

Maximage

Jan 6, 2017
Perth
Yes, I've had problems. Took it in for first service and all the morons did was silicone the top of the vent closed ... so now I can't open it if I have any gas ignition issues or to check for any further leaks. Not very happy with the service agent I took it to, still has to go back for other stuff (that is supposedly on order) so will take it up with them then, to better still, hopefully they haven't actually ordered anything so I will then take the van elsewhere.

RickB

Jul 22, 2017
Vic
So do you think the best fix would be to install a piece of angle across the top as described above or would a piece of sail track be better so that in summer a shade cover of some sort could be utilised to keep the fridge area cooler?