Interior Dometic Fridge not starting on gas

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Tried to fire up the fridge the other week to check working it on the gas. Couldn't get it to fire. I know they are pretty stubborn but no matter what I did I couldn't get it to fire.

Before I go looking for bigger problems, can anyone shed light on their lighting techniques and tips. I did make sure the gas was coming through by lighting the stove.

Is there something basic I'm missing? Would like to get this sorted so we can go off grid with confidence.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
our van has a separate shut off value underneath for fridge, yes i know its basic, but hey sometimes ,Doh !

Thanks for the tip, and will check it out. We may have knocked it with something. When we took it into Jayco a few months back, they fired it up on gas so I know it works, just can't seem to recall the starting sequence! :)

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
I find I have to light up the stove first which primes the gas line, then hold one button while continusly pressing the other button on the fridge till the needle reaches half way. It all works so silently that it's hard to tell. I think there is a valve under the van, but never touched it so it's always been open.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
All gas appliances have seperate taps fitted which should be turned off when not in use otherwise you may gas yourself if it leaks. And push and hold one button while pushing the other until the needle reaches the green zone as @Simon pointed out, have to give time for gas to flow though.

Angus

Apr 13, 2012
Brisbane
As mfexpand said make sure it's on 4 to fire it up I thought our fridge had a problem with not starting on gas then I read the instructions on the decal on the bottom of the fridge.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Thanks for the tips guys. I read the instructions on the door, can't recall if it said "4" or not. I'll plead ignorance in the first instance...

I did sit there for a while banging those buttons in, probably around 4-5min... And had made sure the gas was coming through by having the stove lit before, during and after attempts. Also tried it with the stove not on.

I'm hoping it is as simple as the valve being shut somehow, or maybe needed to persist longer than I had. Will try again tonight and report back.

Once again, I appreciate the feedback.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
This might help, Knob A is the big round job on the left, Button D is next to the green/red flame indicator and button C is on the right of D.........picture didn't want to work. or you can go here for the manual. http://www.dometicrvcentre.com.au/userguides/product-instructions

upload_2014-12-11_18-8-26.png

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Thanks Drover...

Well, went out to the van just then... Turned gas on, went in, fired up the stove let it burn for around 10s, and then turned up. Turned around, made sure fridge was set to "4" (as the instructions at the bottom specified) and pressed the button and piezo a few times. Bang!! The needle fire up and then sat on the green...

I can only assume that I hadn't had the setting on 4 last time. That'll teach me for not reading the instructions carefully...

Cheers heaps to everyone who contributed by offering tips and tricks. Out of interest, there was no tap underneath it that I can see. Unless it's under the floor on the outside of the van?

Dede

Mar 12, 2014
Bellarine
When I was trying to light outs the other week, I was depressing the hold down button, not the piezo button. Duh!!!

Nath69

Oct 22, 2014
Cromer
I tried mine for the first time since we bought it and no go.

Thoughts of buying a used van with a dud fridge swam through my mind and how do I break it to the wife!!!! I swapped gas bottles on the front, ran all 3 stove burners for around 15 seconds then tried the fridge. I also read to use number 4 setting but forgot at the time and had it on 6. Started first go. WooHooo!!!

Out of curiosity, how long running on gas, should it take before you notice a temperature drop in the fridge? I have had mine going for 4 hours and will leave it over night and check in the morning. Fingers crossed all good.

Cheers