Electrical Does an inverter require grounding?

devonian

Aug 15, 2021
UK
inverter chassis ground, if you have a negative busbar, but run it back to that.
I do have a negative busbar but I thought I was trying to ground the inverter to the chassis ground? Would it not be better to attach the earth cable to the chassis right below the inverter? The negative wire from the inverter already runs to the negative busbar.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Since you would be using an inverter off grid so earthing to chassis wouldn't do anything as the chassis isnt grounded electrically... any short would make the chassis active. An invertor should be double insulated so any short it shuts down. A van is not grounded .

Reactions: DRW and Brente1982

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Fixed

images.jpeg-1.jpg

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
I do have a negative busbar but I thought I was trying to ground the inverter to the chassis ground? Would it not be better to attach the earth cable to the chassis right below the inverter? The negative wire from the inverter already runs to the negative busbar.
Ive watched a few install videos from America and Australia and all inverter frame/chassis earth's run back to the common busbar as well.