Electrical Does an inverter require grounding?

Tripper

May 13, 2017
Moranbah
Hi Guys,

Firstly thanks for a very informative and sometimes hilarious forum!

I recently purchased a pure sine wave inverter (2500W), it has a ground point on the case and is supplied with a detachable earth wire with an alligator clip on the end. I hadn't thought of this previously, but is this required to be grounded in the van?

I will be installing into our next van early next year.

Thanks in advance.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
if you mount it near the battery (in whatever cupboard it is hidden in), once fitted, drill a small hole in the floor, and run the earth lead to the chassis somewhere close

it wont hurt
but
it cannot but help

Reactions: Drover

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hi Guys,

Firstly thanks for a very informative and sometimes hilarious forum!

I recently purchased a pure sine wave inverter (2500W), it has a ground point on the case and is supplied with a detachable earth wire with an alligator clip on the end. I hadn't thought of this previously, but is this required to be grounded in the van?

I will be installing into our next van early next year.

Thanks in advance.
Interesting question, my initial thought is that grounding the earth to the chassis is not a bad idea, however because the earth is supposed to protect against a fault creating a potential difference and sending the current through you, I’m not sure this would actually work.

The caravan is insulated in most cases from the ground (unless you have metal feet on the stabiliser legs and they are down and have a good connection (unlikely), thus the system is not really earthed.

My understanding is that a RCD would still work if you have one connected to the inverter.

Someone with a little more 240v experience might chip in.

For the record I haven’t earthed mine.

Eddii

Jun 28, 2017
Burua Central QLD 4680
When plugged in the mains then your "van earth" is the same potential as your "house earth". But you have floating earth when off grid. Rcd's will still work if there's a current difference between active and neutral (this would be the scenario with a faulty appliances for example, current would "leak" to ground) So still connect it to chassis ;)
Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
When plugged in the mains then your "van earth" is the same potential as your "house earth". But you have floating earth when off grid. Rcd's will still work if there's a current difference between active and neutral (this would be the scenario with a faulty appliances for example, current would "leak" to ground) So still connect it to chassis ;)
Hope that makes sense.
Thanks @Eddii, that pretty much backs up what I was saying.

My concern about the RCD is that most people don’t connect to the van electrical system like I have, they just go straight from the outlet on the inverter or they install a separate power point.

I would strongly recommend the installation of a RCD for the inverter supply if it is separate from the van electrics and having it all done by an electrician.

I know some people are a bit complacent about inverters because they are connected to 12v, but they will kill you just as dead as mains.

Reactions: bigcol and Eddii

Clewsy

Apr 17, 2017
Cairns
Totally agree, installing rcd is a must if you're forking out money for convenience of off grid 240V. You, your family and friends lives are worth the extra $$$ by a country mile.

And make sure it suits the inverter, generally a type A will work, but check what the manufacturer recommends.

There 3 main types. AC (only works for AC) Type A will do AC and pulses of DC. Type B ($800) does AC and steady and pulsing DC.

Sorry to get a bit techy here. If inverter doesn't have a transformer inside it like most modern ones they leak a bit of DC onto the AC side. How well they are made and tested depends on how much it is.

And I'd earth it once doing that.

If you use a metal jack stand instead of jocky wheel when you're setup you'll get some earthing effect to the ground. Not the as an earth stake, but there's times you want them when off grid and times you don't when plugged into van parks.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
A very interesting subject for sure, not having a large inverter I never even thought about earthing or having an RCD for one.

I know when refuelling aircraft out bush I needed to belt a stake into the ground well and make sure the ground was dampened as sometimes the earthing was poor with just a stake in dry ground, kicking the stake under a wheel wasn't good enough, a blue spark from fuel nozzle (with no flash bang) is a sure way to ensure good earths at all times.

Reactions: bigcol

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
To be clear again "DO NOT EARTH TO THE CHASSIS EVER" unless you are fully qualified to set up remote powers systems.
secondly a RCD is fantastic for normal earthed situations ie, your home or Van park but they don't do much when using a generator or inverter.
If you want to be super safe then also install a RVD.
RVDs are a superior form of protection,that also gives protection with generators & inverters connected via the van inlet socket.

Tripper

May 13, 2017
Moranbah
Wow this is a bit of a can full of wiggly buggers!
I was going along the line of not grounding/earthing the inverter but using a plug in RCD (Plugged into the inverter power point) and then plugging a small power board into this (piggy back style).
I am only requiring a couple of power points one for a coffee machine and a spare for whatever.
Might have to do a bit more research especially into RVDs.....I hope there will be no need for STDs at any point:o

Thanks for the advice so far.

Reactions: Eddii

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
To be clear again "DO NOT EARTH TO THE CHASSIS EVER" unless you are fully qualified to set up remote powers systems.
secondly a RCD is fantastic for normal earthed situations ie, your home or Van park but they don't do much when using a generator or inverter.
If you want to be super safe then also install a RVD.
RVDs are a superior form of protection,that also gives protection with generators & inverters connected via the van inlet socket.
The RCD does not require an earth to operate, that applies to the old style ELCB’s which have been phased out because of the requirement to have an earth to provide protection.

The RVD however covers all bases and I agree is the best option.

Again, use a licensed electrician to be safe

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Clewsy

Apr 17, 2017
Cairns
thanks @NoWorries , I didn't know about RVD's, you've taught me something new and seem a better way to go, happy days.

having a quick noodle there doesn't seem to be a lot around. Only one I can find is RVDsafe website but seems to be dodgy website, my anti virus says it's not safe website.

Do you know what type they are, as in do they only sense AC or AC & some DC?

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
I've been banging on about RVD's ever since I joined this site and not many appeared to have listened. When I brought the Expanda I purchased a EU10i to go with it and after a bit of web searching I found out about the potential for electrocution whilst running the van of the generator. It was then a no brainer for me, I purchased and had an RVD installed.

Now there will be no doubt hundreds if not thousands of people around Australia today running their vans of a gennnie and whilst I sincerely hope no incidents occur for those who do not have an RVD installed the potential is there and it is very easy to eliminate this potential.

As @Clewsy has said above the RVDsafe web site appears to have issues at the moment but please especially if you use a generator to power the van look into an RVD.

I am not a electrician and I don't fully understand the principles behind this but what I do know is an RCD probably will not work whilst you are sourcing power from a generator where as an RVD will. If this makes me and anyone else that is within the vicinity of my van safer (which it most certainly does) then for the $250 it cost me to buy the unit and have it installed as I have said is a no brainer.

I apologise that this post offers no real answer to the OP's original question but when I see RVD mentioned in a post I do my best to get the info that I have picked up out to those who may not be aware of a potential problem, especially one that could take a life.

Last edited:

Clewsy

Apr 17, 2017
Cairns
I rang the company today and the IT issue has been fixed and the RVDsafe website works again safely. https://www.rvdsafe.com.au/.
I had a good chat today to find out some more details, the RCD part is a type A so should suit most of the better made inverters. There are 2 models, and RVD-EMR if you want to switch between using earthed systems like in caravan parks and home and your unearthed generator or inverter. Or the RVD-EI version that is just for unearthed situations like generators and inverters. Obviously a sparky will have to install it and change the electrical system to suit.
There are options like buying a 15m lead with RVD installed in it if you have that application.
I'm convinced and a RVD-EMR is in the mail and on its way to me now.
Makes you wonder why all caravans don't have them fitted mandatory.
at $190 for the RVD it's the easiest decision to make for safety for my family.
What a great forum, thanks everyone, I keep on learning more great tips to make it easier to get out and about in the great outdoors and see this fantastic country we have!