Disable ALKO ESC when travelling off the tarmac?

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Does anyone run a TPMS on the car and or caravan? I have been looking at the Tyredog TPMS but not sure if I will fork out the money as lots of other things to purchase (Diesel heater, Stone Stomper)
Yep I have a TPMS with 6 tyres on the car and 5 on the van being monitored.

Has really helped with getting the optimal pressures and adjusting the ideal ride height on the rear air bags as well

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
If I ever get around to rewiring the cruiser I will put a disable switch in for the esc for sure. I think also alko suggest disabling it off-road .
I am suprised it isn’t mandatory.
The one time it caught me could have been disastrous
Pulling out from the road side drop off for rubbish and it was an uneven track. As I went to cross the main road during a break in the traffic turning right as the van bucked on the edge of the track the esc came on and aplied the brakes !!! I thought WTF and all I could do in the situation was floor it. Fortunately we had a reasonable gap but it put the wind up us and had me stumped for a min till I worked out what went wrong.

Iam certainly a fan of the system but would like to see a newer version that doesn’t Activate until 40 or 50kmh

Reactions: Drover and 17triton

Smash

Apr 23, 2013
Perth WA
If I ever get around to rewiring the cruiser I will put a disable switch in for the esc for sure. I think also alko suggest disabling it off-road .
I am suprised it isn’t mandatory.
The one time it caught me could have been disastrous
Pulling out from the road side drop off for rubbish and it was an uneven track. As I went to cross the main road during a break in the traffic turning right as the van bucked on the edge of the track the esc came on and aplied the brakes !!! I thought WTF and all I could do in the situation was floor it. Fortunately we had a reasonable gap but it put the wind up us and had me stumped for a min till I worked out what went wrong.

Iam certainly a fan of the system but would like to see a newer version that doesn’t Activate until 40 or 50kmh
Just be careful because on the van side it is link into the breaksafe wireing on new vans 2017 onwards

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Just be careful because on the van side it is link into the breaksafe wireing on new vans 2017 onwards

What do you mean ? Aren’t both the esc and brakesafe hooked to activate the brakes ! It’s pin 2 iirc on the 12pin for esc

Smash

Apr 23, 2013
Perth WA
What do you mean ? Aren’t both the esc and brakesafe hooked to activate the brakes ! It’s pin 2 iirc on the 12pin for esc
When they are aftermarket most people fit them on a red Anderson plug but on the new ones alko have incorporated the esc and breaksafe in a sealed wiring loom for jayco which they don’t recommend you seperate it. Disconnecting esc temperary could also shut down the breaksafe.

Last edited:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
But the breaksafe gets its power from the independent battery that’s the whole idea it works when the van disconnects from the tug !

Reactions: G Daddy

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Only thing it could be is the charging line from the tug in which case the battery can live without that for quite a while . More so given they all charge from 240v as well now

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@achjimmy I reckon that sounds about right otherwise they would conflict with each other.......Breaksafe is only a feel good system by the time the pin is pulled the draw bar has dug into the road.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
@achjimmy I reckon that sounds about right otherwise they would conflict with each other.......Breaksafe is only a feel good system by the time the pin is pulled the draw bar has dug into the road.

Yeah I agree drover can’t see too many vans not going straight over after they disconnect

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Seems reading on other forums a few have had it trigger in simalar situations. Clipping a kerb or roundabout island.

The other time it happened to me was a bit bizarre. I’d gotten lost :) and ended up with a choice between backtracking or going over a dam Levy . When the van and tug where at near 40degrees to each other (ie tug pointing down and van pointing up) I felt the van brake. I stopped and got out fearing I’d bottomed out but hadn’t , got back in and Just dragged it over the hump till the brakes released.( Was too tired and losing light to bother disconnecting ) really not an issue as it wasn’t life threatening like the other incident . But it wasn’t in any position I’d thought it would trigger either (no lurching only doing like 5kmh)

All in all I like the esc , I’ve felt it touch the van brakes a couple of times on some twisty roads and it felt reassuring cause it applied it at the right time and far faster than I could react. Just be great to see it speed sensing and it’d be perfect.

Reactions: Drover and G Daddy

Smash

Apr 23, 2013
Perth WA
Yeah I agree drover can’t see too many vans not going straight over after they disconnect
The breaksafe and esc share the same wiring on esc module end not the A frame.The reason they haven’t put it on switch is customer error they garrantee a customer with flick it back on.Coromal have an in-line fuse on the esc on the A frame so you can just pull the fuse out.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
The breaksafe and esc share the same wiring on esc module end not the A frame.The reason they haven’t put it on switch is customer error they garrantee a customer with flick it back on.Coromal have an in-line fuse on the esc on the A frame so you can just pull the fuse out.

Like above it has to just be the supply 12v for charging the breaksafe.

If your van is sitting there disconnected from everything and you pull the breakaway pin the brakes come on .

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
It’s actually making more sense to disconnect pending your cirmumstances! Imagine that levy situation but it’s wet and your struggling for traction !

Thinking about it now that same trip we nearly got bogged in a 100m mud stretch only I managed to back out and took another route. Imagine the van bucking and weaving in the slush it was probably pulling the brakes on at the time !!

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Thanks for all the feedback so far.

I was advised 50 PSI was the tarmac PSI for the van and was wondering what some examples or dirt road PSI may be.

I also run ~44PSI in the rear tyres when on the tarmac

Thought it may be a pain to remove the TPMS wheel sensors when airing down, then to change the alarm thresholds (if set). Still considering whether or not I will get one, maybe just for the car

I was looking at the tyredog TD1000A but it seems to be an older model now
I have had trouble with scalloping tyres
And have been told by the ones that know and not jayco only 44 psi in the van no less no more i run 50 psi in the car
Ive had my ESC come on a few times in heavy bull dust i was on a fair lean trying to drive around it and its came on at a few round abouts maybe going a bit quick around them i would never eva disconect a safety system its great to know it works and is there swerve for a roo you want it on or just run over it lol
That bloke who pulls his plug also pulls the plug on his fridge peanut theres lots out there

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
In regards to the OP with TPMS I think you largely get what you pay for. I have the original tyre dog system and it’s still kicking 8 years on . It’s a bit out of calibration now (2-3psi) but I am not too fussed mainly want it to pick that leak before you screw a tyre. I read once that large percentage of blow outs where actually slowly deflating tyres that weren’t picked up on.

Also good for monitoring tyre temps . I recall coming out of the VHC after the Expandas meet back in 11or 12 and it was a scorching day and my vans tyres went over temp and I stopped and checked all okay and let em cool a tad. Same day @Bushman on same road blew a tyre IRRC.

They use a relay for the van now so it works more reliably (although I never had an issue ) and build systems for semis highly recommended but $$$$