Disable ALKO ESC when travelling off the tarmac?

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
Hello,

I have a Jacyo Starcraft 17.58-3 OB and are heading to central Australia in July.

We have the ALKO ESC filled to the caravan.

We are going to go on a few "tracks" such as the oodnadatta and I am wondering if I should modify the trailer plug wiring so I can disable the ALKO ESC?

Our ESC is wired through the 12-pin plug.

Has anyone modified their wiring or diabled the ESC when travelling on outback tracks?

It may still be useful on dirt roads, but possibly good to disable when the tracks get a bit rougher.

After some feedback on the situation.

Cheers

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hello,

I have a Jacyo Starcraft 17.58-3 OB and are heading to central Australia in July.

We are going to go on a few "tracks" such as the oodnadatta and I am wondering if I should modify the trailer plug wiring so I can disable the ALKO ESC?

Has anyone modified their wiring or diabled the ESC when travelling on outback tracks?

It may still be useful on dirt roads, but possibly good to disable when the tracks get a bit rougher.

Cheers
I wouldn’t be disabling it.

Tracks like the Oodnadatta are pretty good and you can often travel at tarmac speeds on them.

I’ve been on many dirt roads in the past 4 years and have never had the ESC kick in when it wasn’t needed.

Personally I think the whole thing about disconnecting it off road is rubbish.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hello,

Cheers
Im in total agreement with @Bellbirdweb, particularly his parting comment

I have the ESC wired through the 12 pin and we've done a lot of crappy tracks, incl GRR, Tanani, Dampier Pen and Savannah Way and never had the ESC come on. (I know its actually working, in case the question is raised)

The activation criteria requires quite significant sway of a predetermined g-force either combined in opposing directions or a large single sway in one direction. The requirement to disconnect is aimed at 4x4 tracks and certainly not the type of tracks we stable adults would take expensive caravans .... the requirement to disconnect is more aimed at off road camper trailers.

Whilst you could in theory take a caravan on tracks that may activate the ESC ie Gall Boy style, Im assuming no sane person would be taking their largish, likely financed, caravan on genuine 4x4 tracks unless it was to set up an insurance claim. (PS you cant claim the ESC also caused that unexpected "fire" either)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I wonder if some get it confused with the gear on semi's, TBC and other names, switch it off on dirt as they would lock up or let go all at the wrong time but not at the same function as ESC .

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
Good stuff. Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I will not need to modify the wiring and disable the ESC.

What sort of PSI have people been running when on tracks such as mentioned above?

Looks like I may run around 25 PSI on my Pajero tyres (Bridgestone D697 light truck 17")

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Depends on the road conditions, no one can really advise a pressure as too many variables, less pressure, less speed.....too low for your vehicle weight and while you get a softer ride you stuff your tyres.
Its the how long a piece of string thing.

Reactions: bigcol

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
Does anyone run a TPMS on the car and or caravan? I have been looking at the Tyredog TPMS but not sure if I will fork out the money as lots of other things to purchase (Diesel heater, Stone Stomper)

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I tried the TPMS and it didnt work for me.

With independent suspension you cant (from experience) feel a flat, but you can see a definite tilt in the van through the rear vision mirror it you can find a straight line to look at. (for me, those straight lines were the top of the ute tailgate, and bottom edge of the hard lid)

We blew and shredded a tire out on the highway doing 100km. I felt a small and not unfamiliar type jolt which must have been when the tyre blew, then absolutely nothing. A random guy behind us call up on the UHF that there was plumes of smoke pouring out the back of the van ... wooried it was bearing turned out it was the detached tyre tread wrapped around the suspension. That was the inspiration behind the TPMS

I bought a Masten system from Digoptions which ticked all the boxes in a few product reviews. I got nothing but false readings, and failures to alarm. I didnt set the secondary pressure for sand etc, so when we hit some rougher tracks and aired down to just removed the 4 senders. Only one of the four senders eventually alarmed .... and it was the next day, with the senders sitting in a plastic bucket in the back seat. They never went back on after that because I had no faith in it; I simply couldnt trust it. I had the screw-on senders, which Im told are 2nd place to the internal senders. Although the system failed miserably Digoptions had a huge and varying range. They were pretty good to deal with and took back my system for a refund without too many issues.

28 - 30 psi is my coverall standard air down pressure for the van, compared to a road pressure is 50psi. 25 - 27 psi air down pressure for the car, with 44psi the road pressure on the rear and 36 on the front

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
Thanks for all the feedback so far.

I was advised 50 PSI was the tarmac PSI for the van and was wondering what some examples or dirt road PSI may be.

I also run ~44PSI in the rear tyres when on the tarmac

Thought it may be a pain to remove the TPMS wheel sensors when airing down, then to change the alarm thresholds (if set). Still considering whether or not I will get one, maybe just for the car

I was looking at the tyredog TD1000A but it seems to be an older model now

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
I talked to a guy up north who pull his 12 pin while on the rough stuff and forgot to put it back in on tarmac :)
not sure I pull the 12 pin plug you could get it wired as Anderson/7pin if you felt like it.

TPMS we have a Safety Dave one picked up a few slow leaks we would not of noticed as quickly
Do not need the repeater with theirs or we have not needed it with a 22 van and Disco.
Had the 12v pin break off they just replaced it no hassles.
https://safetydave.com.au/safe-t-tyre-tyre-pressure-monitoring-system/
They look the same as other brands I think some made all in the same factory in China.

Reactions: Drover