20' Series Diesel or gas heater?

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
We have a diesel heater in our 17.58 Starcraft pop top and love it. Doesn't use much in the way off juice, very economical. I have the fixed the tank so it's a matter of topping it up when required. @17triton has the same in his van, and from what I've read he is happy with it as well.
Like others have said I was a cautious in running everything off gas when we free camp. We also use our diesel heater when we stay at caravan parks as it's quieter and works better than the Truma unit.
Cheers
greynt

Smash

Apr 23, 2013
Perth WA
Just some people partners have mentioned it in the past about the smell ,but it's only on start up and some can't stand the smell of diesel which is understandable. Remember always keep the wife happy.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The @Crusty181 man has written the manual on diesel heaters ....some time ago.
It may be out of print by now.....

Just curious but do Jayco ever offer a heater (gas or diesel) as on option on purchase of the van? I certainly don't remember that it was available as an option but that was a few years ago so wondered if they now do it. (I know some manufacturers include them as standard now)

They're certainly gaining in popularity .....do those who have them still use the aircon on reverse cycle? On 240 power, obviously.

Or is the heater mainly for free camping? I'm assuming that is the case.

Personally, when free camping in the cold, we either head for a caravan park and use the aircon on heat or head for somewhere where we can have a fire....and / or go to bed early! But we've never experienced the luxury of a dedicated heater.....so maybe that'll be a future add on if travelling in cold climes.
Diesel heaters are like Amazonian Cross Dressing Left Handed Leprechauns ... once you've had one there's no going back.

Each to their own off course but I find it odd that spending $50k - $100k plus on a caravan and they don't come std with a ducted heater from either the diesel or gas camp, because they are awesome. Its a lot like building a new home (in Vic) and poo poo'ing ducted home heating a favour of a couple of $15 Kambrook blow heaters dangling off the ceiling fans.

I tried very hard to find a solution in space and ducting to mount our heater on the annex side of the van, so i could with a wall vent into the annex.

We use the diesel heater in favour of the other options whether in a caravan park or free camping. Its a more consistent and comfortable heat, and originating from near the floor makes for a more uniform spread of warmth.

The diesel heater uses 100ml per hour running flat out, and it only runs hard for around 20min when its first turned on. After that its silent as it auto adjusts to quietly and stupendously maintain the ambient temp. The heater turns itself down as the van warms up and then turns off as the van warms naturally during the day, only to jump back into life automatically as the tmp drops in the late arvo. 1 ltr of diesel can last around 24hrs. You can continue to run the diesel heater whilst traveling, so I suppose if your only moving a short distance or like the van nice and warm when you stop for the mid morning tea and scones you might want to do that.

Diesel v Gas is much the same as Navara v everthing else .... its a no brainer, Toyotas, Fords, Holdens, VWs, and Mitsys (and gas heaters) are all pretenders. I carry an emergency 1ltr cordial bottle of diesel just in case, I cant carry a ltr of gas in my cordial bottle (or can I?). Don't get me wrong, I stolen just as much gas as I have diesel from napping Grey Gonads, but that's just for sport.

A deal breaker for me with the gas heater was the outside flue cap that needs to attached when not in use, and most definitely detached to use the heater. On more than one occasion I had to throw a moccasin or 2 at the Crusket, pull rank and order him out of bed into the cold and hit the diesel heater 'on' button; not sure I have enough authority to order him outside to pull of the flue cap first.

I know what your going to say, "why doesn't Crusty just attached to "phone in" module to the heater and simply ring the heater to turn on". In short I love throwing stuff at the Crusket (you'll stop laughing when you find on Google that diesel heater "phone in" modules are very real)

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
IMG_3368.JPG
On more than one occasion I had to throw a moccasin or 2 at the Crusket, pull rank and order him out of bed into the cold and hit the diesel heater 'on' button; not sure I have enough authority to order him outside to pull of the flue cap first.

I know what your going to say, "why doesn't Crusty just attached to "phone in" module to the heater and simply ring the heater to turn on". In short I love throwing stuff at the Crusket (you'll stop laughing when you find on Google that diesel heater "phone in" modules are very real)

That's why I added the remote control to my Eberspacher. Don't need to get out from under the sheets to get cosy

Last edited:

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Just some people partners have mentioned it in the past about the smell ,but it's only on start up and some can't stand the smell of diesel which is understandable. Remember always keep the wife happy.
We have the exhaust on the other side of the van and have never smelt anything inside even when starting up. A brief whiff outside sometimes but not even as bad as starting up the cruiser.

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I've been parked between 2 diesel heaters and didn't smell a thing, but then the mongrel 4 bays up with his stinking fire .......

.I have worked out that a gas bottle free camping for a week or more with the fridge on all the time, the HWS turned on for 45mins a day and using the stove every so often gives you around 8 days, just running the fridge will only give you around 10 - 11 days so go from there...

As a QLDer the question of heatiing only crops up when I stray too long down south..................well actually a bit of west as well............thats West of Gympie and South of Maleny, can get flamin cold at Winton but then thats why they invented Bundy.........Damn think I'm getting off topic again.............

Reactions: Smash and bigcol

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
The HWS will draw 10j/hr and the 3 way fridge will draw around 1.5j/hr, an 8.5kg bottle holds holds around 400Kj
Hi @Drover,
many thanks, you have just helped to solve a mystery I was having with my Dometic RM2350 fridge.

Initially, I had found a Dometic specification for this fridge quoting 13.5 g/h. So for an 8.5kg swap'n'go bottle, I was expecting about 26 days excluding using the stove. Or 28 days from a 9kg refill

However, I did a heap of fridge mods and even with careful usage we got 20 days and 21 days which included using the stove a bit. Way short of expectations. I was already starting to think my mods may have made things worse!

After reading this post, I used your calculations, and calculated 11 days. But I am getting way more than this.

Found another specification for the RM 2350 quoting 1.05 MJ/h, and from the ELGAS site, 1kg = 49 MJ.
So, from an 8.5 kg bottle should last 16.5 days, or a 9kg refill, 17.5 days.

The 1.05 MJ/h usage spec seems to be much closer to the mark then the 13.5 g/h spec for the RM 2350.

kindest regards
Mike

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We have the exhaust on the other side of the van and have never smelt anything inside even when starting up. A brief whiff outside sometimes but not even as bad as starting up the cruiser.
I get a feint scent on start-up, but I wouldnt describe it as "diesel fumes" smell in the sense of what a car puts out. Id guess anyone not knowing it was a diesel heater would not have a clue what it smells like ... I know what it is and cant compare it to anything.

Id suspect the diesel heaters would be banned in a lot of caravan parks if they churned out fumes, and likely an additional individual day use permit for use in Nat Parks o_O

DaveR

Mar 13, 2017
Gold Coast
I've just added the truma gas heater, I have the 17.56/2. It s in below the front seat and outlet duct goes into the front tunnel boot along to the middel so the vent faces toward the rear.
I did all the install myself, just waiting on the gas guy to do his bit.
I am moving the 2 x gas cyl's, and BBQ connection, so fitting the gas for heater is no biggy.

http://expandasdownunder.com/threads/daves-2013-17-56-2-ob.10072/

I should add that I went with the gas due to noise and maintenance of the diesel units, dust ingress etc. Gas storage isn't a problem as we have a compressor fridge.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I might have to go back over my figures again, @mikerezny , was a fair while since I did them as I was originally expecting a couple of weeks out of a bottle but running for days on end was only getting the week/10 days so wonder what sort of bite a gas heater would take out of the equation.

Smash

Apr 23, 2013
Perth WA
I've just added the truma gas heater, I have the 17.56/2. It s in below the front seat and outlet duct goes into the front tunnel boot along to the middel so the vent faces toward the rear.
I did all the install myself, just waiting on the gas guy to do his bit.
I am moving the 2 x gas cyl's, and BBQ connection, so fitting the gas for heater is no biggy.

http://expandasdownunder.com/threads/daves-2013-17-56-2-ob.10072/

I should add that I went with the gas due to noise and maintenance of the diesel units, dust ingress etc. Gas storage isn't a problem as we have a compressor fridge.
Your last sentence hit the nail right on the head especially the noise comment between the two heaters.

Last edited:

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
So now I am leaning towards a diesel heater. I will keep the gas for hot water, cooking and the fridge. Now where is best to install it? Pics please.
Does you van have a small cupboard underneath the fridge? Thats where I installed mine, just enough space, clear underneath to cut the hole in the floor, and not far to run power back to the setec. Also allowed for ducts to be run backward and forward.
IMG_3366.JPG

IMG_3369.JPG
IMG_3367.JPG

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Your last sentence hit the nail right on the head especially the noise comment between the two heaters.
tick ....... tick ....... tick ....... tick ....... tick ....... tick ....... tick ....... tick ....... tick ....... tick ....... tick ....... tick ....... :frusty:

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Nice. How much and how much work to install ??

It came as a module, only had a couple of wires to connect to the original loom.

Had a bit of trouble working out how to get it to work in conjunction with the wall mount controller, but a bit of trial and error, and now works perfectly from either controller.

Cost around $220

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
So now I am leaning towards a diesel heater. I will keep the gas for hot water, cooking and the fridge. Now where is best to install it? Pics please.
In our 20.63.1 I mounted my Ebersparcher under the right seat of the club lounge behind the drawer with one duct either side of the seat base, one blowing forward and the other blowing rearward past the fridge.

2015-05-30 13.03.58(1).jpg 2015-05-30 13.03.18.jpg 2015-05-30 13.03.07.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Stand by, stand by......................Mrs D is checking out diesel heaters, prices and fittings, asking questions...........Woo Hooo looks like things might happen, must mean she's thinking of a winter tour somewhere and warm toes are a must.................

So my only question to the Heater Guru's or is that just Guru ??????...........anyway Big Mal is 22ft so do I go a 2kw or a 5kw, ????? I suppose running a 5kw at half pedal is better than a 2kw at full throttle................................looking forward to the build already, some great ideas to try, I wonder if I can get it looking nice and neat, not my strong point....................

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Stand by, stand by......................Mrs D is checking out diesel heaters, prices and fittings, asking questions...........Woo Hooo looks like things might happen, must mean she's thinking of a winter tour somewhere and warm toes are a must.................

So my only question to the Heater Guru's or is that just Guru ??????...........anyway Big Mal is 22ft so do I go a 2kw or a 5kw, ????? I suppose running a 5kw at half pedal is better than a 2kw at full throttle................................looking forward to the build already, some great ideas to try, I wonder if I can get it looking nice and neat, not my strong point....................
I have the Airtronic D2, which is 2.2kw.

With both bed ends out our van is 27ft (with a thermally inefficient tent at each end) and it keeps it toasty warm without running flat out.

It normally runs up to full speed when first started up, then idles down after a while to maintain temp