20' Series Diesel or gas heater?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Can only agree with you Bruce @Crusty181, thats twice.......:o...........................and of course I would like to add if free camping out bush using your LPG for a heater, fridge, cooking you could be looking for a recharge every 7 days and at places like Lake Cargeligoe a 9kg bottle will set you back $40..................................:ambivalence:

Reactions: Crusty181

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Next question;........................if your diesel heater gets a load of bio-diesel does it get clogged up with crap. Just remember using a diesell/cooking oil mix in a tractor, it didn't like short runs needed a long run so it would start next time without a 90% kero mix loaded into the system.

Smash

Apr 23, 2013
Perth WA
Next question;........................if your diesel heater gets a load of bio-diesel does it get clogged up with crap. Just remember using a diesell/cooking oil mix in a tractor, it didn't like short runs needed a long run so it would start next time without a 90% kero mix loaded into the system.
I would be very cautious with using any thing than normal diesel as diesel heater can be very temperamental with bad quality fuel ,and with having to pay for a service kit and getting it fitted it's normally around $400. Do not use kero mix in these heaters we had guy who did this to his unit and had to be stripped and the tank cleaned out as it stopped Working anymore he got this info from another forum.After the unit had a service kit put in it and tank flushed it took about 45 minutes to clear smoke and to start running properly for still slight amounts of kero in the fuel line.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Having used and did some maintenance on the old Choofers I certainly know about fuel quality........Just wondering about Bio diesel as you could end up with it from a servo and not know about it as it's not a requirement to actually display that it's bio diesel thats being sold unlike E10 petrol.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Having used and did some maintenance on the old Choofers I certainly know about fuel quality........Just wondering about Bio diesel as you could end up with it from a servo and not know about it as it's not a requirement to actually display that it's bio diesel thats being sold unlike E10 petrol.
I'm a bit paranoid about the diesel quality in the heater. I only run BP ultimate diesel in it.

Probably makes no difference but make me feel better

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep, I know what you mean, although it was a few years back now BP fuel caused me to spend around a Grand repairing my engine when they went to low sulphur fuel, destroyed my fuel pump and they wouldn't come to the party for paying for all the repairs, paid for most of the parts but not for the labour.........................so while I prefer big name fuel brands I do prefer Caltex.

Smash

Apr 23, 2013
Perth WA
Yep, I know what you mean, although it was a few years back now BP fuel caused me to spend around a Grand repairing my engine when they went to low sulphur fuel, destroyed my fuel pump and they wouldn't come to the party for paying for all the repairs, paid for most of the parts but not for the labour.........................so while I prefer big name fuel brands I do prefer Caltex.
You would never want to replace a dometic d2 diesel heater fuel pump because its got dirt or bad fuel in it at a price of $475 just for pump

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I know what your saying about the Bio Diesel @Drover

got caught in Albany once, went to fill the tanks at the first servo I went to, just about to start pumping - hang on a sec..... this is Bio
asked at the counter for the real diesel pump - sorry, ALL our Diesel is Bio mix

at a guess (from stopping and having a look at them), nearly 90% of all independents run Bio mix (as its cheaper) but sell it as normal

I always stick to the big brands now, and pay more per Litre, but I know I'm getting 100% diesel

Reactions: Drover

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I know what your saying about the Bio Diesel @Drover

got caught in Albany once, went to fill the tanks at the first servo I went to, just about to start pumping - hang on a sec..... this is Bio
asked at the counter for the real diesel pump - sorry, ALL our Diesel is Bio mix

at a guess (from stopping and having a look at them), nearly 90% of all independents run Bio mix (as its cheaper) but sell it as normal

I always stick to the big brands now, and pay more per Litre, but I know I'm getting 100% diesel
I inadvertently filled up with biodiesel once.

Power was way down, but it did smell like fish and chips so not all bad :)

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
the guy behind me (he works at the airport) runs his diesel Hilux on JetA1 (kero........)
he has an old patrol
(weekend fishing machine) that he runs on the oil from his Ex's fish and chip shop

I've never been that keen to save money, but

each too their own