Interior Diesel heater in 17.56-2

Heydon

Mar 2, 2018
Warrnambool
G'day,
I'm going to chuck a diesel heater in our van, I reckon we'll use the guts out of it with the ability to get off grid in rubbish weather.
What size have people with similar sized pop tops put in? I can't find much consensus on what size suits best, 2, 3 or 5kw (assume eBay Chinese variety). At some stage eventually we'd probably like to park up in pretty cold places during snow season.
Thoughts appreciated. -J

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
G'day,
I'm going to chuck a diesel heater in our van, I reckon we'll use the guts out of it with the ability to get off grid in rubbish weather.
What size have people with similar sized pop tops put in? I can't find much consensus on what size suits best, 2, 3 or 5kw (assume eBay Chinese variety). At some stage eventually we'd probably like to park up in pretty cold places during snow season.
Thoughts appreciated. -J
I’m the same, thinking of putting in a 5kw diesel heater. The wondering where to place the diesel tank and heater as I have duel batteries so space maybe an issue...if anyone has done one in a 17-56-2, I would love to see same pics...

Heydon

Mar 2, 2018
Warrnambool
I’m the same, thinking of putting in a 5kw diesel heater. The wondering where to place the diesel tank and heater as I have duel batteries so space maybe an issue...if anyone has done one in a 17-56-2, I would love to see same pics...

Also leaning towards 5kw. I'm planning to chuck it under the seat with its back to the fridge (2017 layout). The back of that box is useless because of hoses and stuff and I can probably point a vent both front and back mounted above the drawer in the same bit. Hopefully get either the supplied or replacement diesel tank under teh gas bottle cover.

Scrounger

Oct 7, 2016
Shoalhaven
I got the 2.2 tuti from Tasmania, before I purchased it I rang the guy to ask 2,3,or 5
His responce was 2 is enough as you can run it harder than a low run on a 5, running a heater harder is better for a clean burning of the fuel and good for the injectors , I believed him and got the 2.2.
Proof is in the doing, I am very happy with the 2.2 I can run it all night at speed 4 or 5 and hold the inside of the van at 18 to 19 degrees in lows of -2 to +5, day time in temps of 10 and slightly above I run on 3.
As you have read my device can be used manualy not thermostat controled turning on and off uesing 17 amps each start this keeps warm air comming 24/7.
My van is 18.58.2 so lots of heat loss in bed ends and top.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Graham

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Not sure how the Chinese ones compare is terms of true output ratings, so youll have to work that out. We have a 2.2kW Eberspacher and we were up the NSW coast last week with average o/n temps around 2ish and 2.2 was fine in our 20ft Expanda. @Scrounger is spot on, they need to be regularly run a max output to maintain efficiency, don't assume bigger is better its a better option to match the size to the task. The bigger will run lower, but they use the same amount of fuel and you run the risk of them eventually choking themselves to death.

We used under a 10ltr tank over the 8 days away with the heater on from around 4 or 5pm till around 10am ish. The biggest issue you will encounter with really cold weather Expanda camping is heat bleeding out of the bed ends. We use the storm cover in really cold weather, which is the only time we ever use it. Without the storm cover on the van is toasty warm, but the bed is blood cold. Another layer of thin canvas from the storm cover makes an incredible difference.

Reactions: Heydon and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I run a 3kw in Big Mal, 23ft non expanda so a big box, the badge says fully insulated but it leaks heat like a doors left open, the heater runs at 3/4 throttle with 2 outlets and keeps things nice, I think a 5 in a smaller rig would mean you would be dialling it down, which for anything diesel is not good, car or heater oil burners need to be run near flat out to keep them clean as mentioned earlier. My tank is hard mounted on the back so need to do no more than turn the thing on.

Last edited:

Heydon

Mar 2, 2018
Warrnambool
Thanks everyone that’s brilliant advice. Gonna steer clear of the 5 and go lower. Our snow trips will be few and far between and definitely powered sites so if it can’t keep up we’ll chuck the fan heater on as well. We can also close the back bed end as it’s only there for space not needed as a bed (maybe a drying room for gear though).
The draw of a 5kw starting and stopping could be a pain here where sun is limited and heating is needed so saving amps here and there is importnant.
Thanks again. Van is back in my possession this weekend after some minor repairs (stuff we found when we got it home and Jayco have fixed under goodwill out of warranty) so I’ll start planning the heater instal.

mitchjazz

Mar 10, 2019
Griffith
So how did you go with your installation?? I am looking at doing myself in our 2017 17.56-2 and very interested how it all went!

Heydon

Mar 2, 2018
Warrnambool
So how did you go with your installation?? I am looking at doing myself in our 2017 17.56-2 and very interested how it all went!
Hey Mitch it’s fantastic. I ended up with 3kw which is plenty for our vans. 2 would probably even suffice. Installation was fairly straight forward, took a good few hours. We actually used it again last night, it’s made cold weather free camping perfect.
I’ll take some photos for you tonight or tomorrow, the main unit is under the dinette seat where the water pipes come in.

Heydon

Mar 2, 2018
Warrnambool
Grabbed some while it’s still light!

Attachments

• FD71380B-95C7-421D-879B-D4DD06829C8D.jpeg
    FD71380B-95C7-421D-879B-D4DD06829C8D.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 852
  • 82AA3FF8-5DEA-4D34-80AA-2D4DD8194348.jpeg
    82AA3FF8-5DEA-4D34-80AA-2D4DD8194348.jpeg
    302.2 KB · Views: 740
  • 02AE5130-010A-476F-A41E-EF0B29B70C00.jpeg
    02AE5130-010A-476F-A41E-EF0B29B70C00.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 678
  • 0292D734-9A5C-46D3-8082-38B7025F34E7.jpeg
    0292D734-9A5C-46D3-8082-38B7025F34E7.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 627
  • 5789490D-052B-4052-9729-8F51D87CA295.jpeg
    5789490D-052B-4052-9729-8F51D87CA295.jpeg
    373.9 KB · Views: 608
Reactions: Bluey and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That looks a tidy job, keep that exhaust away from everything, it will cook things quickly, if you have a bend in it just cut it shorter, a straight run will stop hot spots and allow better flow.

Reactions: Heydon

Heydon

Mar 2, 2018
Warrnambool
That looks a tidy job, keep that exhaust away from everything, it will cook things quickly, if you have a bend in it just cut it shorter, a straight run will stop hot spots and allow better flow.
Thanks mate yeah it’s been brilliant. Used it heaps. I added a gutter pop to protect the flooring from heat and the unit itself from stone strikes. That exhaust has a flange to fit over the muffler, if cut it’ll take some heavy molesting to make it fit so I put off doing it. Nearly a year on and it’s one of ‘those’ jobs I’ll probably never get back to!
Had intended to have two outlets inside but we found that one is plenty. The air coming out is ridiculously hot.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I started with one outlet but July in Canberra inspired me to add a second, 23 ft van so liked a warm ensuite, made a nice little timber distribution box......I gave a bit of Pearling a reshape does a fine job of stone deflection, do wish I could have mounted mine on same side as yours, mine's on the awning side so have to run the exhaust across the van, shortened the original pipe and plumbed it into some 45mm exhaust so it wouldn't back up and cook the box, they sure do make winter camping a pleasure......

Reactions: Heydon

mitchjazz

Mar 10, 2019
Griffith
Perfect mate thanks for this!! I actually ha have 3 batteries and and inverter In that section. I’m thinking the high temps could be an issue (but not Sure?) maybe able to go on the opposite side of the table...perfect place to mount the fuel!! I’ll do the same.

Heydon

Mar 2, 2018
Warrnambool
Perfect mate thanks for this!! I actually ha have 3 batteries and and inverter In that section. I’m thinking the high temps could be an issue (but not Sure?) maybe able to go on the opposite side of the table...perfect place to mount the fuel!! I’ll do the same.
Yeah I’d probably avoid that too, it does get very warm in that space. We’d also considered the rear storage bin which we’ve found a fundamentally useless space without external access.
Or behind the draw under the bottom bunk if you don’t have external shower pipes using that space.
The tank was mm perfect to get it to fit and still be able to get the diesel filler in- which fits like a glove. I wanted to retain the black cover despite how much some people hate it!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Mines under the seat with a vent at one end near door for air intake but the unit draws air from the compartment not via a pipe and vent, keeps the area cooler and does away with the suction noise they can have......

Heydon

Mar 2, 2018
Warrnambool
Similar deal Drover. Ours just draws from within the cavity. There’s a big gap around the drawer and it’s open to a heap of other happy areas so it sucks happily. Minimal noise besides the pump when it’s slow idling.

Reactions: Drover