Exterior Diesel Heater Fuel Tank - Breather Pipe.

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
I've just finished installing my 2Kw heater. Its tank is a 5lt with a breather hose coming out of the filler cap. The end of the hose has what appears to be a fine mesh cap on the end. The tank is mounted in a battery box on the rear bumper bar. The breather hose is currently stuck to the rear wall of the van.

I am concerned that water can enter the tank thru the breather (either rain or spray off a wet road). How have others managed the breather pipe on an exterior mounted tank.

Another question. A few earlier posts refer to the control unit and how best to run the heater. The way I have read the instructions if you have both lights on green the heater keeps running. If you set it at a point on the dial and turn the red light on the heater gets to that temp then shuts down so that it is just idling. The glow plug is still working. It re lights when the temp drops.

Using the dual green light setting its either on or off. If off a restart is necessary which is where the heavy current draw comes in. On red it idles and doesn't need a heavy current draw to get started again.

Opinions appreciated.

Peter.

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
Its hard with out pics but why dont you just mount the breather in the battery box aswell?. I run mine through the lid of a jerry can, so I just twist the lid 1/3 of a turn to let it breath.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I thought the glow plugs only fired for ignition not run constantly.?

Last edited:

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
I will try and post the photos.
001 (600 x 450).jpg 002 (600 x 450).jpg 003 (600 x 450).jpg 004 (600 x 450).jpg 005 (600 x 450).jpg 006 (600 x 450).jpg 007 (600 x 450).jpg

It worked. As you can see the breather hose is about 300 mm long. I had it mounted on the back of the van. It should work ok in the box. The other photos might help others doing this job. In the muffler pic the air combustion hose is just hanging out of the way. I eventually ran it away from the exhaust behind the water tank.

Regarding glow plug as I understand its max draw is when it comes on at start up. With red light on it is in idle mode?

I also came across some info on the Bushtracker site. It refers to using Kero in the fuel tank to help it run in cold weather (-0). Apparently the Kero also helps stop bugs breeding in the tank and waxing of the fuel.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
What about if you also put in a plastic inline fuel filter into the breather line.
This will slow anything down that may try and work its way in there?

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
You could buy another jerry can and set it up like this, that way it is fully sealed and you wont get that oily dust build up around the breather. This way will be more of a hassel to fill since you only have 5L
wp_20141028_007-jpg.jpg

Or a better option would be buy 1 of thoses cheap inline fuel filters and a 1/4 ball valve. Run your breather hose up to you spare wheel mount and then down a little and mount your fuel filter a litle more hose then mount you ball valve. From you jerry can to the top of the spare wheel mount you want your breater hose to be constant up hill so when the diesel is sloshing around it will always drip back into the jerry can. You should mount the filter and ball valve pointing down so any moisture the filter collects wants to drip back out the ball valve. Mount the filter with the arrow pointing back towards the jerry can so you cab see and moisture or dirt in the filter.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCsA6N7rgZVMrGGRQxGOzYss6YrutoV63jG_SRXEXzgAMJEwBMxg.jpg
larger_BALLVALVE_PIC_A06.jpg

Last edited:

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
Thanks for the suggestions. Gives me some ideas to play with when the rain stops. I purchased our StarCraft off the lot. It wasn't until later I realised that it came with the short A frame draw bar. Not much real estate there to mount anything.

Does any one know where I can purchase replacement quick connects for my fuel line? I managed to break one of mine. The line is now directly connected to the tank.

Also, any thoughts on the use of Kero in the tank?

Andrewm02

Feb 25, 2013
Bungendore
Thanks for the suggestions. Gives me some ideas to play with when the rain stops. I purchased our StarCraft off the lot. It wasn't until later I realised that it came with the short A frame draw bar. Not much real estate there to mount anything.

Does any one know where I can purchase replacement quick connects for my fuel line? I managed to break one of mine. The line is now directly connected to the tank.

Also, any thoughts on the use of Kero in the tank?
Hi @Dove, just wondering where you got you jerry can from. Did you manage to source another quick connect.