14' Series diesel heater from heatso.com now installed.

Sammy D

Feb 14, 2016
Quirindi
Do i dare ask why you blokes are going diesel heaters over Gas? :)
With winter coming on I have been looking at both options and they both seem to do a good job. I was told however that you can run a diesel heater while traveling whereas the gas is a big no no but other than that I haven't heard of too many differences. So in the middle of winter when the kiddies have fallen asleep in the car you can transfer them straight into a warm van which if true seems like a benefit.

Reactions: spiderpig and JT76

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
@MDS69 Thats makes sense re second plate, Yes it's just the light switch I'm surprised it's not the same as your but I guess they make little changes each year.

@Sammy D I've heard the same re running it while travelling. I'm still not sure I would do that as it doesn't take long to get going and it pumps out a fair volume of air too so in a little van like ours it will warm up quick. You can get fancier controllers from ebenspacher some with timers and even remote controls and the fanciest of all one you can control from a app on your phone from anywhere. So you could switch it on as you roll into camp.

@Glen Bundesen Thanks, I took my time but it is a pretty easy install. The kit they send you has just about everything you need which makes it easy. Always scary drilling holes in a newish van though!

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
Yes - very scary. I checked underneath several times before cutting that large hole. I wouldn't have it running while driving as they do pump out a lot of heat and when driving you normally have every window/etc closed (which can be closed).
Happy travels
Glen

Last edited:
Reactions: JT76

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
Well, it is just air noise inside the van, and there is some noise outside (more like a low rumble). Not aware how much power (12v) the unit draws.

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
Also does it use 12 volt to run at all?

I think I found somewhere online where they quoted it draws around 8 amps on glow plugs which run for a short time on both start up and shut down, maybe 30-60 seconds. Then there were three levels of draw depending on how hard it's running. Somewhere between 1 and 2 amps . I can't remember where I found it but there is a wealth of info when you start googling d2 ebenspacher.

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Jist wanted to ask how noisy is it when running?

Also does it use 12 volt to run at all?

Noise inside is minimal. Outside it's like having A/C unit and your gas hot water going at the same time.

See here for my power usage.

Last edited:

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
Sorry to Hijack the thread guys.

But im about to order this Diesel heater, http://www.heatso.com/eberspacher-airtronic-d2-12v-2-2kw-heater-kit/

Now im wonerding which controller to order and which is the best wort of fuel tank, i only want a small one.

Thanks guys,

This is the kit I ordered a couple of weeks back. I optioned the easy start select which is the most basic controller. With a mounting plate and postage it came to $995. You may run the risk of having to pay an extra 10% total with a more expensive controller as it will put you over the $1000 threshold.

I find the basic control good with a digital display showing set temp and ambient room temp, the 801 I believe is pretty much the same just the older version (could be wrong) the next one up includes a timer function then the top two are remote start.

If I was to order it again I would stick to the basic one I got as I can't see the others worth the extra $$$. Before I chose I check a table on the eberspacher website which compared the cotrollers and function. You could look that up too.

Fuel tank, I just used a plastic jerry can, on rear bumper. There is a nice slimline 10ltr one you see online. It would depend on where you want to mount it. 5ltrs is probably more than enough, but I ended up going 20ltrs which I will only fill if I wanted extra (just in case fuel) for the tug.

Last edited:

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
OK I just took the plunge and joined the Eberspacher heater club, and also have ordered the kit from heatso.com. I actually only arrived back from the UK yesterday and was trying to find somewhere to pick one up. I never got the chance and just noticed that they have an outlet just outside of London.

Probably still cheaper to pay the $88.00 postage than excess baggage.

Now to await arrival and working out where to mount it in my 21.64-1

Last edited:

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
So the Eberspatcher D2 arrived today, now to work out where to mount it.

With the dividing door between front and back I'm keen to get one outlet into each area so the entire van can be warmed with the concertina door shut.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
OK guys, those of you who have the Eberspacher heaters, does anyone have the Easystart Remote+ controller ?

I have the Easystart Select and I've ordered the Remote+, and I was wondering if they will work together, or either/or ?

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
How good is the fuel pump on these heaters. Does the fuel tank need to be above the pump.

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
@Bellbirdweb and @MDS69 I just cleaned out the garage and with it I chucked out the 90 odd pages of instructions I printed out. I know on our end page it refers to fuel tank height in relation to pump. From memory there was a bit of room to move but can't remember exactly what it was.

If you google eberspacher instructions it will take you direct to their download page where you can view full installation and controller instructions which should answer both your questions. I'm posting from phone so I find it harder to link to but it should be easy enough to look up. The amount of info on the eberspacher website is incredible!

Reactions: MDS69

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Now to await arrival and working out where to mount it in my 21.64-1
You'd have a similar layout to our 20.63.1. My heater is in the corner under the couch next to the fridge with 2 ducts under that couch wing. One duct faces the front bed, the other the rear bunks past the fridge.

I noticed the "y" junction for twin ducts favours one duct over the other so i set it up with the favoured duct facing the bunk/bathroom end because thats a larger area. Van heats up very consistently ... work a treat

Reactions: mfexpanda

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
You'd have a similar layout to our 20.63.1. My heater is in the corner under the couch next to the fridge with 2 ducts under that couch wing. One duct faces the front bed, the other the rear bunks past the fridge.

I noticed the "y" junction for twin ducts favours one duct over the other so i set it up with the favoured duct facing the bunk/bathroom end because thats a larger area. Van heats up very consistently ... work a treat

I have mounted mine under the fridge. I'm running 1 duct so that its on the ensuite side of the concertina door.

The other duct I was originally thinking of running back up to beneath the club lounge, but it doesn't look like there will be room.

At this stage I'm thinking of bringing it out under the fridge opposite the sink.

I hoping the warmth makes it up the front to our bed.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I have mounted mine under the fridge. I'm running 1 duct so that its on the ensuite side of the concertina door.

The other duct I was originally thinking of running back up to beneath the club lounge, but it doesn't look like there will be room.

At this stage I'm thinking of bringing it out under the fridge opposite the sink.

I hoping the warmth makes it up the front to our bed.
@Cindy had their heater mounted in the front tunnel boot of their 20.63.2, with only had a single duct under under the front bed and their entire van was nauseatingly warm, so I think youll be ok wherever you put it

Reactions: Bellbirdweb