Diesel heater air intake

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013
Gyday all ,

Was after opinions from diesel heater owners on putting this on the air intake pipe to stop bugs, rocks ,fingers ,chunks of mud ect from blocking the air intake under the van.

Doesn't feel restrictive at all and if one side does get caked in mud it will hopefully be large enough to not bother the unit...

Cheers
All
Pauly;)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 385

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Gyday all ,

Was after opinions from diesel heater owners on putting this on the air intake pipe to stop bugs, rocks ,fingers ,chunks of mud ect from blocking the air intake under the van.

Doesn't feel restrictive at all and if one side does get caked in mud it will hopefully be large enough to not bother the unit...

Cheers
All
Pauly;)
Never really thought about it as the combustion inlet is right up high.

Can't see it causing any problems

Reactions: Crusty181

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
I put an aircleaner with and some filter material in to quieten it down a little from that suction roar on start up and worked fine for a while till it stopped working properly in the Flinders last year and required myself and @Tone to strip it down and clean a carbon buildup off the mesh inside and haven't bothered to block it at all since. So personally I would be careful with what you use. Something like that isn't restrictive with airflow should hopefully be fine.

Reactions: mfexpanda

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Both my exhaust and intake point backwards and angled down slightly. We dragged the van through all sorts of crap, mud, water, sand and dust without any issues. Like @17triton I muffled the inlet, but unlike @Triton it hasnt backfired on me yet. I put a PVC plumbing 25mm tee over the end of the intake hose and shoved a bit of foam in through the tee to muffle the noise a bit. I exchange the foam even now and then, and the tee isnt sealed to the pipe

Reactions: Drover

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013
Thanks heaps sorta what I wanted to hear, I'll give it go. I am constantly clearing wasp mud from exhaust of mowers, generator and bikes ( seams if ya can stick ya thumb in it the wasps will mud it over....)also our previous vans have gotten pretty caked with wet dirt roads .
I figure even if this gets 3/4 blocked it's still 2x open as the pipe.

Now just somthing to handle the temp of the exhaust ??/

Reactions: 17triton

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Being new to this club I was thinking something along the same lines as I was worried about mud wasp's building a bluddy big mud ball in there or sucking up a dead leaf, I think a trip to the hardware shop is in order as I like that mesh set up...................My exhaust has about 500mm of flexy pipe then about 2m of alloy tent pole to the back of Big Mal where the muffler is fitted. Not sure if the muffler does much to quell the sound of a jets APU.
For the inside air inlet I was wondering if it's better to let the thing draw air form inside the cupboard with a vent in wall to allow air inflow, seems to cut back on sound and also keep the cupboard cooler..?

Reactions: Pauly

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
For the inside air inlet I was wondering if it's better to let the thing draw air form inside the cupboard with a vent in wall to allow air inflow, seems to cut back on sound and also keep the cupboard cooler..?

Mine just draws the air from inside the cupboard.

I was originally going to put a vent in, but using it without it seems to work well, so I didn't bother.

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
I use a aircompressor filter on the heater burner inlet and been working really well and also muffles the noise quite a bit. For the heater inlet I just draw from inside the cupboard with a vent to let the air in makes it quieter also.

Reactions: Pauly and Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Our heater drawers the air from where it's installed under the cub lounge. I mounted a flat vent next to the Setec at the other end of the lounge just in case (The vent came with the kit), although that cavity has plenty of gaps and extend over half the length of the van including under fridge with plenty of gaps

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thats a great idea @Tone , it would be just the right size, I think I will remove the pipe from heater to intake vent then, less noise and the cupboard space should be cooler..................................heading south soon so prepare for winter heatwave, snow melt etc as I want to use my new toy.