Day Time Running Lights and Caravan Lights

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
Hi all,
Have been looking at installing Day time Running Lights (DRLs) on the R51 Pathfinder and all of the options available. Eventually went with the LED Fog lights with Halo DRLs and will wire them up to come on with ignition and go off with parking lights and indicators.

This got me thinking that I should also wire up the caravan lights to come on with the ignition.

So far I have thought of 2 ways to do this:

1. Change the car wiring so that pin 7 is wired to both the parking lights and an ignition source via two diodes (to stop feedback between the two. The ignition source would be through a fuse and the same source as the DRLs (prior to any parking and indicator control). This would mean that the caravan lights would be on when the car is running or when the parking lights are on. This would then apply to all caravans and trailers that I tow.

2. Change the caravan wiring and place a diode in the rear lighting circuit (pin 7) and also connect pin 2 to rear lighting via a diode to provide the same results as option 1, except this means it applies to the caravan. Meaning any vehicle with power to pin 2 towing the caravan will have lights on when towing and still be able to use parking lights.

In typing this I feel option 1 is the best as it covers all things that I tow, including those trailers that do not have pin 2 wired.

Any thoughts

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Why not just turn on the parkers anyway, I think technically the side and clearance lights are covered in regs to all be on or off on tug and trailer not a combo, that would attract a tyre kick by Transport fellas.

Reactions: DRW and Marv_mart

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
Thanks for the comments.

@Drover The parking lights (and headlights low beam) cause the dash lights to dim and that is not the best all the time. Also the DRLs only use small amount of power and I will not have to remember to turn them on or off. Will need to check the regs, but I was also going to run red at the back of the tug as a combination fog and DRL (again wired to go out with parkers and bright when fog lights on). So I will have lights on the front and back for day light running to match the caravan.

I am with you with the fog lights and DRLs at night hence the interlock with the parking lights and indicators to turn them off.

@DRW When driving and I need headlights I will go from DRLs directly to headlights so DRLs will not be needed. I will not drive with just parking lights on. I am assuming and will check that parking lights stay on when headlights are on. Parking lights will only be used if parked so do not want the DRLs on then (day or night). I believe that I can turn parkers on without ignition and do not have headlights that turn off automatically.

For the caravan the lights will be on when either ignition is on or parkers are on so, essentially on while driving or parked with parking lights.

Reactions: Drover

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
When i leave tomoz my lights will be on all day they promote this now with signs on freeway
I will need them most in morning as it will be dark at 5 am lol

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
@Bluey you are right there, I am hoping that the DRLs are as good or better than just headlights (low beam). The DRLs have a less focused beam and therefore should be visible at more angles. Low beam is set to cut off with a slight downward angle. But time will tell.

The front DRLs have arrived and are a replacement for the fog lights (currently mounted in the bull bar). Need to get my DRL control circuit sorted and then think about the back. I will update on progress and try and get some photos of the differences. Thank you for the comments.

Reactions: Bluey and Drover